Gibson Brands Forums

New 2018 BFG

Drog

Gibson is bringing back the BFG. I have always had mixed feelings on this model, still do. Comes with humbuckers or p-90's.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/2018-BFG-P-90.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/2018-BFG-Humbuckers.aspx

"Its back and it's badass! The 2018 BFG from Gibson is a fully upgraded version of the now legendary model introduced over 10 years ago. Loaded with humbucker pickups for legendary Gibson tones and huge leads this BFG also boasts refinements not seen on this guitar before such as a truss rod cover and classic Gibson controls. Wearing its unique look with pride the 2018 BFG is the fast, easy playing beast that will set you out from the crowd."

No no no.... Ohh man.. Yet again they bring a model back only to ruin one of the best things about it which was the pickup combo.. AGrrhhhhhhhhhh!

Ive been waiting for them to do more of these and look what they go and do... And the neck profile just says "rounded".. Is that a fat neck? (im assuming it is as that's what the old ones were)...

Now THIS is a BFG how it should be done.

mkPVV5C.jpg

It has dots where they matter the most... [flapper]

well, your band may learn new songs via telepathy or using cutesy cover song books on stands or by sheer genius Rabs, but mine learns the oddball songs I write largely by watching where the hell I am moving on the fretboard, at least for the first few times though together, and its all about the dots!

well, your band may learn new songs via telepathy or using cutesy cover song books on stands or by sheer genius Rabs, but mine learns the oddball songs I write largely by watching where the hell I am moving on the fretboard, at least for the first few times though together, and its all about the dots!

:-k You must be in some kind of jazz band or sommin

:P

I'm not sure jazz guys worry about where the dots are, so definitely the latter.

Well either way, who cares.. Everyone knows that the guitarist is the most important band member and we have to be louder than everyone one else including the drums.. Screw em..

[biggrin]

...No no no.... Ohh man.. Yet again they bring a model back only to ruin one of the best things about it which was the pickup combo.. AGrrhhhhhhhhhh!...

It's not often that I find myself in the opposing camp from yourself, Rabs, but I've never EVER like a PAF / P90 Les Paul.

Now THIS is a BFG how it should be done.

mkPVV5C.jpg

That is quite possibly the most hideous Les Paul I've ever seen this side of a Dusk Tiger.

Absolutely EVERYTHING about it is wrong - and I really mean that. There is not one single redeeming feature on that monstrosity.

As far as the guitars in the OP themselves are concerned I must say I like the P90 version and I do like the idea to use torrefied Granadillo for the 'board. It will feel great under the 'tips and by using Donny's old trick of black leather dye it would, eventually, be made to look great too. All you would then need to do to have a fine-looking guitar is sand down the crocodile skin finish on the top to be as smooth as silk, re-stain in jet black and French-polish the Hell out of it.

FWIW these days I almost always 'locate' by fret-edge dot-marker but I'd probably still choose to break-up the monotony of the 'board with some choice inlays. I like a naked 'board on many guitars but this isn't one of them.

Pip.

It's not often that I find myself in the opposing camp from yourself, Rabs, but I've never EVER like a PAF / P90 Les Paul.

As far as the guitars themselves are concerned I must say I do like the idea to use torrefied Granadillo for the 'board. It will feel great under the 'tips and by using Donny's old trick of leather dye it would look great too. All you would then need to do to have a fine-looking guitar is sand down the crocodile skin finish smooth as silk, re-stain and French-polish the Hell out of it.

FWIW these days I almost always 'locate' by fret-edge dot-marker but I'd probably still choose to break-up the monotony of the 'board with some choice inlays. I like a naked 'board on many guitars but this isn't one of them.

Pip.

Yeah well as with all things its just a personal choice.. no right or wrong here :)

In fact you probably wont remember this but one of the reasons I made my first guitar was because Gibson wasn't selling any with that pickup combo at the time so I decided to make my own (with Searcy;s pickups) with that very combination :)

I just think you get the best of both worlds.. Nice fat P90 tones for chords and a nice bright bridge sound and then as I said.. The middle position (well on my one anyway) had THE most interesting middle position sound I have ever heard on a LP.

And you know that the pattern on the top is actually carved, its not an effect. So sanding that down would be a task and for me would ruin the cool look (well I think its cool anyway, its a very obvious marmite guitar though).

...In fact you probably wont remember this but one of the reasons I made my first guitar was because Gibson wasn't selling any with that pickup combo at the time so I decided to make my own (with Searcy;s pickups) with that very combination...And you know that the pattern on the top is actually carved, its not an effect...

I very much do remember, Rabs, and I absolutely do know.

I happen to like Marmite - very much! (to the utmost horror of my wife and daughter) - but I do not like the PAF / P90 combination in a Les Paul.

And if we all liked the same things....?

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I very much do remember, Rabs, and I absolutely do know.

I happen to like Marmite - very much! (to the utmost horror of my wife and daughter) - but I do not like the PAF / P90 combination in a Les Paul.

And if we all liked the same things....?

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Wow... you really do have a good memory [thumbup]

That is quite possibly the most hideous Les Paul I've ever seen this side of a Dusk Tiger.

Absolutely EVERYTHING about it is wrong - and I really mean that. There is not one single redeeming feature on that monstrosity.

Pip.

I think that's why I like it.... Just because it was so different but yet was still a LP with Gibson on the headstock..

You have to remember too (well maybe not this) that I went through a weird period where I owned even if briefly with some of them.. A Flying V, a Non Reverse Firebird with 3 coil tappable P90s and this BFG.. I did go through my anything but normal period.. Damn, I even had a Stratocaster for a while :) (what was I thinking).. But still. I love the weird carved top, its just so unique..

Maybe if they don't sell well I can get one cheap and shave the neck down a bit and stick a hummer sized P90 in the neck?? :-k

Well either way, who cares.. Everyone knows that the guitarist is the most important band member and we have to be louder than everyone one else including the drums.. Screw em..

[biggrin]

ever play with piano/keyboard players?

IMHO,, them guys are the worse by far.

Archived