Gibson Brands Forums

Brighter strings

pohatu771

I'm looking to change the kind of strings I use... On the lower half, they seem a bit "dead," where the upper strings are livelier.

Now, it's not a Gibson, it's my Martin, but of all the forums I visit, y'all seem to be the most knowledgable as far as acoustic guitars go.

I have D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Custom Light (11-52) at the moment.

I need something that will be a little brighter when fingerpicking, but still give me a good strummed sound.

I have a few packs of Martin SP Phosphor Bronze (12-54) that I've never tried, but I imagine they'll sound very similar.

You've probably already tried this Pohatu but the D'Addario website actually rates the brightness of their strings, so if you haven't tried their brightest yet, maybe give them a try? Looks like it's the EXP coated 80/20's that are the brightest.

http://store.daddario.com/category/144846

I've found them to be pretty accurate in their ratings as I tried the Flat Tops and they really muted the treble, just like they said they would.

I'd like to keep this string discussion gfoing (since I am also slightly confused) I had (past tense) been using on all of my acoustics the Martin 4100 phosphor/bronze .12 to .52 strings (light? or Medium) (I looked -- light) But then I have to say the Gibson did not like them. The Tacoma did fine with tehm and so did the Yamaha (FG04 Ltd -- which kind of likes anything). I am not really sure WHAT the Gibson really likes (J-100). A guy at the jame said stop using phosphor bronze and use 80/20 bronze .12 to .54 light) because they hold up better and sound better long. Cannot argue the point -- the phosphor - bronze corrode sooner and the lose tone faster. SO ... I am open to suggestions on the J-10 preferences for strings. I like Martin but I respect D'Addario and several others (Elixir is too expensive for acoustic -- electric only)(two of them). What do you use on a J-100 and why? What do you recommend? (Bear in mind that any big jump in string weight is going to cause major neck changes due to tension).

I've heard them Mertins sound best with balin' wire for the trebles, Trilene monofilament for the mids and clothes line cable for the basses. (Obligatory Morton bashing... tongue in cheek of course. :o )

Elixir Nanos. They'll stay bright, nigh on forever.

I'm not sure who first designated that strings would be described as "bright" or "warm"......but to me, those descriptions mean almost nothing.

"Steel" strings, when new, are metallic sounding.....some are more metallic sounding than others. Some players like that sharp, cutting tone of new strings on their guitars----some prefer strings that lose their metallic edge more quickly, or those that have less of a metallic edge when new. In either case, PB strings are the most metallic sounding strings, and with most people's chemistry, they hold their new, edgy tone longer than 80/20, or nickels. That was the "selling point" of PBs when they first hit the marketplace.

80/20s lose their metallic edge more easily, and become more transparent and dry, allowing you to hear more of the wood's nuance, while exerting slightly less tension than PBs.

Nickel strings are even less metallic sounding when new, are drier sounding and even more transparent, and thus more susceptible to the tonal colors of the guitar's wood. They exert slightly less tension than 80/20s.

I put a set of Elixer Nanoweb 80/20 bronze on my J-45 and it really came alive. They are 12-53's.

I would echo TWilsons suggestion. I like both the Nanoweb 80/20's and Phospher bronze in 12-53 gauge. I tend to keep the Phospher bronze on all three of my guitars as I like a "darker" tone, but the 80/20's also sound excellent especially on my Gibson as Taylors are already a "bright" sounding guitar.

Personal preferences come first, of course. I use Gibson lights on Gibsons, Masters or J-200s. On my Martins, especially the D 41, I mentioned above, the nuts and saddles seem cut for mediums. Martin says use mediums and they come with mediums. Good enough. On my D 41 I tried every brand of medium string I could find, including my adventure into making strings myself, as Murph will recall. In the end my ears & fingers insisted on the Martin Eric Clapton mediums hands down on that one particular guitar. Acceptance. Then I filed for bankruptcy.

Steve

I prefer 80/20's new. For a week or so.

If I'm recording or doing a solo acoustic gig that's my choice. But for long life, I hate to admit I've put Elixers (Nano/12's) on my J45, but they won't be changed for 6 months. It's a house guitar lately.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I'm not a big fan of the jingly jangly new string sound, and usually play them in for a few hours. It always annoys me when recording if the studio engineer suggests new strings, like its muso techo 101 or something...

On my j200 I use phosphor bronze lights, would use mediums, but I play cross style with a .6 nylon pick and it wouldn't move the strings enough for fast playing (not that I do much of it).

On my live dread (made by a luthier friend) I have a K&K mini western and find that elixir nano web lights sound best plugged in. Might try something new when I get my next guitar in a couple of months.

After reading a few string threads here and elsewhere online recently, I decided to try some D'Addario 80/20 Bronze (EJ12s: 13 - 56) on my J45TV and I must say that I really didn't care for them. I've been using the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings on all of my guitars (either lights or mediums depending on the guitar, lights on the smaller bodied guitars, mediums on everything else) for many years now and I guess I've just grown too comfortable/familiar with them. I quickly switched back to the medium PBs (EJ17) on the Gibson.

While the 80/20 formulation did indeed sound a bit "brighter" to my ears, it also lost some definition in terms of individual string tone - things just sounded more muddled to me. I was glad to switch back to the PBs.

Just as with guitars themselves, it would seem that everyone has their own preferences when it comes to strings as well. Maybe some day I'll check out the DR Sunbeams which also sound interesting, but that can wait for a while - I'm in no hurry.

All the best,

Guth

I actually don't like too much brightness. I'm using Martin SP light guage (11's). However recently I experimented with the new Ernie Ball acoustic strings. Personally I didn't like them because I found them too bright. However if you want bright you might wish to try the Ernie Ball Acoustic slinkies.

I'm not a big fan of the jingly jangly new string sound' date=' and usually play them in for a few hours.[/quote']

Count me amongst those who don't care as much for the sound of "brand new" strings. After a day or two of playing, I notice that not only do I much prefer the sound of the strings, but also the way the feel while playing.

Guth

80/20s for me on all of my acoustics. Everytime I try some PBs to see what I am missing I understand why. I like Elixirs Nanos or John Pearse in light gauge (ie .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053). It's all very subjective though. In any case, 'brightness' in guitar strings means 80/20s to me.

Pic

It's kind of a toss up between 80/20 light or phosphor bronze light. (which is understandable since every guitar is one-of-a-kind and no two guitars sound exactly the same no matter what). D'Addario is a freq mentioned brand. Not as many Martin string users as I would have thought (when you go to a guitar shop the rack is full of Martin strings and not so many using (expensive) Elixir. Nobody mentioned Pearse -- many retailers push Pearse (supposedly superior). None of you mentioned Pearse or "other" brands. Nobody uses cheap Chinese strings (beer cans). It seems like a toss up between 80/20 and PB and between D'Addario and Martin. ( I DO use Exliir on my electrics because you can HEAR it when amplified and I play jazz/swing and want clean sound) (I was playing blues with a really great blues group and the Fender player -- much bluesier than me -- BROKE 4 strings!) I never saw that before. He's a really great blues guy (not a jazz guy) .. broke 4 strings all at once (pretty rough playing) .. I never play like that. Generally I am easy on my guitar. I play with horns and flutes and reeds and saxes but I do not beat up my guitars. I turn up the amp (on electric in a band you need to play either both pickups or the bridge pickup to avoid a "muddy" sound, but alone the fretboard pickup can sound really nice). Also every ROOM sounds different .. big room/small room, curtains, no curtains -- they all sound different. Good feedback on the strings. Thanks on that.

80/20s for me on all of my acoustics. Everytime I try some PBs to see what I am missing I understand why. I like Elixirs Nanos or John Pearse in light gauge (ie .012' date=' .016, .024, .032, .042, .053). It's all very subjective though. In any case, 'brightness' in guitar strings means 80/20s to me.

Pic [/quote']

I am glad to see that I am not alone in prefering the 80/20s. The only guitar I have that I like the PBs on is my Maple Tayor. Other then that every time I try PBs on my other guitars I always come back to Elixir 80/20s. Just bought a J-50 and I tried a number of different string but came home to Elixir 80/20s once again.

Archived