Gibson Brands Forums

Arnie and the old 'uns.

LarryUK

Just read about Arnold Swarzenegger having open heart surgery. I think the time is coming for us to lose all the greats we grew up with. Music, film and friends. I'd say that in ten years all of the big stars will be gone. Stones, Beatles etc. The big film stars. So sad that as we get older we lose those that we love. Family included.

Just read about Arnold Swarzenegger having open heart surgery. I think the time is coming for us to lose all the greats we grew up with. Music, film and friends. I'd say that in ten years all of the big stars will be gone. Stones, Beatles etc. The big film stars. So sad that as we get older we lose those that we love. Family included.

Hasn't that been happening?

Arnold had such an amazing life, comes here doesnt speak the language, becomes the greatest bodybuilder, then becomes a box office mega star, then becomes the govna of California. Quite a life, some mistakes here and there, but very successful at everything he wanted to do, he is the epitome of the american dream. Hope he recovers soon.

very successful at everything he wanted to do,

Uummhh not quite. He was a miserable failure as a Governor. And while he is a "mega star" he certainly is not what I would call an "actor", but I wish him a speedy recovery.

To the OP's point, I go to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year and it's probably been twenty years since I knew who anyone in the "Celebrity" race was. For those of us who are a bit "long in the tooth", our hero's have been leaving us for some time now. Life goes on.

Uummhh not quite. He was a miserable failure as a Governor. And while he is a "mega star" he certainly is not what I would call an "actor", but I wish him a speedy recovery.

To the OP's point, I go to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year and it's probably been twenty years since I knew who anyone in the "Celebrity" race was. For those of us who are a bit "long in the tooth", our hero's have been leaving us for some time now. Life goes on.

He was re-elected as a Republican in a blue state, clearly he had more support than you would like to admit. He also appointed a democrat as his chief of staff to be more moderate. But, continue to try to belittle his accomplishments simply because you dispise his party affiliation. His accomplishments are long and varied, despite the words of critics, i have very liberal friends who respect and admire him and many others do also.

He was re-elected as a Republican in a blue state, clearly he had more support than you would like to admit. He also appointed a democrat as his chief of staff to be more moderate. But, continue to try to belittle his accomplishments simply because you dispise his party affiliation. His accomplishments are long and varied, despite the words of critics, i have very liberal friends who respect and admire him and many others do also.

Sent you a PM.

Ahh don't man..

Im personally totally surrounded by it at the moment.. My father and mother are sick, my dad doesn't have long left. One of my close friends mother is in her last weeks, another has cancer.. My sister was diagnosed with MS a few months back too.

I just cant stand it any more. I know this is life and part of a cycle.. But man.. It really sucks. Watching the people you love wither away like this is just.... beyond words...

Ahh don't man..

Im personally totally surrounded by it at the moment.. My father and mother are sick, my dad doesn't have long left. One of my close friends mother is in her last weeks, another has cancer.. My sister was diagnosed with MS a few months back too.

I just cant stand it any more. I know this is life and part of a cycle.. But man.. It really sucks. Watching the people you love wither away like this is just.... beyond words...

My deepest commiserations Rabs.

One of my old friends from the '70s passed in February after a long fight with it.

Another from the same era - I went to school with this guy - saw him on 19/3; very aggressive stomach cancer.

He can't have got long, it was terrible to see what it has done to him. "Wither away" is right.

This year has been bad enough so far; March has been a disaster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However - this is from the BBC news site, on Schwarzenegger. Note bold text in 2nd line.

"The Austrian-American film star and former California governor, 70, had a scheduled procedure to replace a valve at Cedars-Sinai hospital on Thursday.

The device was installed to repair a defective aortic valve in 1997. Thursday's operation lasted several hours, TMZ website reports.

Schwarzenegger is said to be recovering well and reportedly commented after waking from surgery: "I'm back."

Those are the facts. Don't think it was a 12AX7..... [biggrin]

My deepest commiserations Rabs.

One of my old friends from the '70s passed in February after a long fight with it.

Another from the same era - I went to school with this guy - saw him on 19/3; very aggressive stomach cancer.

He can't have got long, it was terrible to see what it has done to him. "Wither away" is right.

This year has been bad enough so far; March has been a disaster.

Thank you.. And to you too..

I don't know what to say any more.. Theres no one to blame, its no ones fault, it just happens.

I cant even begin to tell you what my dad has been through the last year and a half. The latest one is probably the worst. Since about Christmas my dads back has totally gone.. We have been struggling to do something about it and only found out a few weeks ago that he has three fractured vertebrae. So as well as everything else hes been in constant pain since then and it seems that because of his other conditions they cant do anything but give him more pain killers..

Its a bloody awful mess. Doctors appointments, scans, consultations.. It never ends

Ahh don't man..

Sadly, i know the feeling. I had 8 deaths in my family in 2 years. My aunt leona, uncle ronnie, aunt joyce, cousin gary of a heart attack at only 61, my friend anne shot herself last june, my cat died in october at only 2 and both my godparents passed 2 weeks ago. All this, and my friend kim died of cancer. Most were old age, but kim we saw coming, anne and my cat and my cousin caught me completely offguard. Im only 48, yet so many loved ones passed in two years. i consider the cat family also. So sorry for your losses and sick family members.

Sadly, i know the feeling. I had 8 deaths in my family in 2 years. My aunt leona, uncle ronnie, aunt joyce, cousin gary of a heart attack at only 61, my friend anne shot herself last june, my cat died in october at only 2 and both my godparents passed 2 weeks ago. All this, and my friend kim died of cancer. Most were old age, but kim we saw coming, anne and my cat and my cousin caught me completely offguard. Im only 48, yet so many loved ones passed in two years. i consider the cat family also. So sorry for your losses and sick family members.

Thanks for your words..

And yeah, once it starts it just doesn't seem to end..

I also lost my cat, about three years ago now.. Could even be four.. But I still miss him every day...

Brutus doing his most favourite activity.. Fighting with me :) And while it was often painful resulting in bloody scratched up hands, I loved it too :)

fYWmu0z.jpg

And his other most favourite activity

9ePFkDN.jpg

Thanks for your words..

And yeah, once it starts it just doesn't seem to end..

I also lost my cat, about three years ago now.. Could even be four.. But I still miss him every day...

Brutus doing his most favourite activity.. Fighting with me :) And while it was often painful resulting in bloody scratched up hands, I loved it too :)

fYWmu0z.jpg

And his other most favourite activity

9ePFkDN.jpg

Awww, beautiful cat. Here is my Dusty, he died at only two from an obstruction, by the time we took him to the vet it was too late. My family was devastated when he passed.

P450HIP.jpg

Awww, beautiful cat. Here is my Dusty, he died at only two from an obstruction, by the time we took him to the vet it was too late. My family was devastated when he passed.

Aww.. that's so sad..

They can have such amazing personalities. And as you say are as much as part of the family as any member and their loss is felt just as much. I lived alone with him for eight years or so (he was left by my ex, who I don't miss at all any more ;)) and he was everything.. Like part pet, part family, part friend....

Pets can be just like family and so when we lose them its just as painful. Unfortunately their are no guarantees for anyone how much time is left and can happen at any moment so I try not to think about it and live each day doing what I love.

Aww.. that's so sad..

They can have such amazing personalities. And as you say are as much as part of the family as any member and their loss is felt just as much. I lived alone with him for eight years or so (he was left by my ex, who I don't miss at all any more ;)) and he was everything.. Like part pet, part family, part friend....

i had a cat that lived 20 years, after that i waited several years before getting another. I hope you dont, somewhere there is a soul waiting for you. Counting dusty its 9 deaths in 2 years but we adopted another cat, a 2 year old we got for free. I cant pick him up yet, but he does like me, will take time and i dont mind adopting an adult cat. Hope you reconsider getting another, im sure you have a lot of love to give.

I find that looking back now it's gone so quickly. I'm 60 this year and my health is terrible. Friends and family disappear to who knows where.

I find that looking back now it's gone so quickly. I'm 60 this year and my health is terrible. Friends and family disappear to who knows where.

I will be 64 in June. Yes it seems to pass more quickly every year but there is still more to come, much to be grateful for and celebrate. We cannot have the good without the bad and vice versa.

My life is MY gig and it's not over yet.

Larry it would give me (and others I'm sure) great pleasure if you would post that excellent pic of you playing with Uli Jon Roth again; there are lots of newer members who haven't seen it and don't realise you are a fine player who could give many of us a run for our money.

Happy Easter anyway!

Ever watch the Grammys? I only know the people in the "In Memoriam" part of the show.

i had a cat that lived 20 years, after that i waited several years before getting another. I hope you dont, somewhere there is a soul waiting for you. Counting dusty its 9 deaths in 2 years but we adopted another cat, a 2 year old we got for free. I cant pick him up yet, but he does like me, will take time and i dont mind adopting an adult cat. Hope you reconsider getting another, im sure you have a lot of love to give.

Sadly I cant. Id love to but I have moved home since Brutus.. Where I live now is not a good pace to have a cat.. Im in an upstairs flat plus I live right next to a busy road AND I also live quite near too a forest which means theres loads of foxes about. Brutus had an open cat flap 24 hours a day and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I cant get a dog either for similar reasons.. On top of all that I still don't really have much of an income so cant afford it either. If something were to go wrong I wouldn't be able to pay (the stupid prices) for a vet..

Maybe one day again if I ever move out of here to a more suitable home with a garden and stuff and become more financially stable.

Archived