Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

1. Freewill

2. In the Mood

3. Limelight (....cause at long last I sorted the solo out, I never had that sounding right for years....)

4. Red Barchetta

5. The whole of "Hemispheres"

6. Roll the Bones

....Who's next......??????????

working man

fly by night

spirt of radio

and the opening of tom sayer

and after that, im not much of a rush fan

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell alot of people here have been waiting on this model for few months . If it makes you feel any better i ordered a 63 block reissue on 12/12/07 and im still waiting O:) . I know my dealer well as ive been buying from him for ten years now and when we ordered it we were quoted 3 months . So if any of you got your guitar after a two month wait you are doing much better than I .

Staxman;

For most of us, the issue isn't the wait - delays are sometimes unavoidable. The problem is putting money down on one with assurance of a low serial # and a Feb - March delivery date, and then a kick to the groin from Gibson when Guitar Center receives the first batch before the stores that took the early customer (not corporate) orders, and we hear of this first release not from Gibson, but from the Guitar Center Empire.

I see . Hopefully you'll receive yours soon . I ordered my 63 Bolck reissue and a VOS 57 LP custom on the same day (12/12/2007) . Luckily the LP was in stock and I received it three days later . I gigged with it last night . Its an amazing peice . Very happy with it . I hope my experience with the Block reissue wil be just as satisfying !

Just out of curiosity why is there more of a desire for a lower serial#'s?

Does this add more percieved collectability or uniquiness to the instrument?. I was just wondering cause this is something I havent really given much thought ? As I really dont give a hoot what serial # is stamped on my Inspired By ES355... But.....If the number 2112 was an option I could see that .....or say maybe #1 but numbers 2 turu 300? Does it matter? Just wondering...

Aloha

Manoarain, some would agree that a serial # under 10 enhances the resale value of a guitar, but you are right - what difference does that make, especially since most of us will keep our 355s for the rest of our lives? Lower serial #s also give you bragging rights, but again, what difference does it really make? As far as the initial release going to Guitar Center is concerned, I'm done whining, as that also makes little difference. My guitar will get here when it gets here, and life will be good.

"Why does it happen? Because it happens. Roll the bones"

Staxman;

For most of us' date=' the issue isn't the wait - delays are sometimes unavoidable. The problem is putting money down on one with assurance of a low serial # and a Feb - March delivery date, and then a kick to the groin from Gibson when Guitar Center receives the first batch before the stores that took the early customer (not corporate) orders, and we hear of this first release not from Gibson, but from the Guitar Center Empire.[/quote'] Good point. That is a bummer and not sure how it can be avoided in today's world of corporate BS. The GC/Gibson relationship is not new and I suspect they would have known all along that GC would get the first releases. Did Gibson promise your dealer a low #? If Gibson did make such promises then blew off the small dealers, now that would warrant some nut-kicking! My comments assume Gibson never made any promises on serial # or actual ship-dates, perhaps just estimates. I have to admit I ordered mine from GC, not because I don't support the small local guy or love everything about GC, but because GC is the closest dealer to me and I have a good relationship with my sales guy there. He says we "should" get a low # but made no promises. He also warned me not to count on any release date, just to assume it will ship as soon as all the details are worked out and the guitar is made. It will be interesting to see what #s we all end up getting, but wether #1 or #300 I will be a happy camper. (ok a little happier if it's #1)

BTW, does anyone know if the 355 Al is playing The Trees on on the current tour leg is the original or perhaps one of the first of the new ones??? I noticed in some photos he took the pickguard off and couldn't help but wonder if perhaps he is giving the new model a test run? Cheers!

Lol! Staxman you have no worries about Gibson pulling the plug on the Custom Shop models ' date='just because a few of us are pissed off ,there's too much money to be made off us suckers who want out guitar hero's axe, or as close as we can have to it.If these sell ,then you watch there will be another model Lifeson maybe a Les Paul with a floyd rose or the SG double neck , if Gibson cared they wouldn't be putting out those shotty newer Les Pauls and charging a mint for em .Otherwise I'd buy from a smaller guitar builder who cares if they get it right ,and not just when you hand over the cash ,but hey I gotta have one this is Alex were talking about here cheers![/quote'] Very true, where there's money to be made. Actually, I wish they WOULD do a Lifeson LP Axcess! Now that is a cool axe that would also part this fool from his money. Cheers!

Stax I just checked out a picture on Rush.com from Dallas and it is a inspired by model "no name on trussrod cover" I had heard early on actually from some source that he was going to take the first few on the road for himself to give them a test spin. Cool if their good enough for him its definetly good enough for me!

Stax I just checked out a picture on Rush.com from Dallas and it is a inspired by model "no name on trussrod cover" I had heard early on actually from some source that he was going to take the first few on the road for himself to give them a test spin. Cool if their good enough for him its definetly good enough for me!
Thanks for that confirmation Differentstrings89! That's what I suspected but didn't think to look at the trussrod cover. I did suspect the tremolo arm looked a bit longer. Well I guess that answers who got the lowest serial #s LOL. Glad to hear Al is taking an active role in Gibson's quality control and not just a royalty check. At least we know progress is being made, and hey perhaps it was Al that said "no ship guitars until I crank out a few Trees solos and sign off on these babies! Looking forward to the show in St. Paul next month.

These guys have them in stock also......................had an email off them over the weekend to let me know they'd arrived:

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Gibson-Memphis-Alex-Lifeson-ES-355-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-516139-i1388588.guitars

Never heard of them before but looks like they supply to collectors............."G.C. & Collectors top of the list maybe...????" ....Mmmmmmm

Okay' date=' now I'm lost. Is Gibson supposed to hurry up and get the guitars out or slow down and do a good job?[/quote']

i'm glad someone else said this O:)

with regards to Wildwood, i can't comment on specific orders, but i'm pretty sure they're due for some soon.

we were trying to get you this number' date=' but we tightened the Varitone too tight, and the number fell off. on the upside, though, i promise the guitar will smell like Labatt Blue.[/quote']

Man, you guys in the custom shop are pros. And Blue is the right choice. If the guitar had arrived smelling like Molson Canadian, it would have been sent RIGHT BACK.

These guys have them in stock also......................had an email off them over the weekend to let me know they'd arrived:

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Gibson-Memphis-Alex-Lifeson-ES-355-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-516139-i1388588.guitars

Never heard of them before but looks like they supply to collectors............."G.C. & Collectors top of the list maybe...????" ....Mmmmmmm

Private Reserve is Musician's Friend is Guitar Center.

Really. They are all the same big "happy" family, as is GuitarSale.com and Music123.com. Guitar Center owns all of them and is the eight-hundred pound gorilla of the music industry and is getting fatter by eating up its competitors. And that's why they get all the Gibson exclusive deals at this point, including being the only folks in the U.S. who are selling the ES-339, at least until further notice.

Ignatius

Archived