Gibson Brands Forums

Any Members from San Francisco area?

Flight959

I live in bay area since 1992. In this area you must travel north to find redwoods. Muir woods is on the north side of the golden gate bridge, check the name Muir woods for directions and info. The really really large and famous redwoods are farther from the bay area to the north i believe up the coastal hiway (hwy 1), but i cannot say for certain where exactly. Muir woods is gorgeous and redwoods are there.When I was a kid i remember a place where the trees were so huge that the road literally went through one of them but I have wondered where to find that place for many years now. Sry im talking about two places at the same time. bay area - muir woods has redwoods and is north of SF, then west off 101. point reyes is a famous lookout and lighthouse that will be near the muir woods. The incredibly enormous giant redwoods are some distance up the hiway that runs along the coast. I do know you would have to stay at least one night somewhere up there out of the bay area if you wanted to get there and enjoy it. Again i babbled about 2 places, to be clear, the muir woods you can do in half a day. The giant giant redwoods are farther

If you want to stay near the area one of the most inexpensive ways to enjoy the area is a good old fashion picnic at Golden Gate park in SF. Sounds lame but if you have never been to golden gate park it is a great place to spend an afternoon in the park and it really doesnt break the tourist like other tourist places.

Alcatraz maybe interesting to some folks, but not worth the money they get for the tour, imo. Unless you really have a thing for famous prisons. Alcatraz is not even scary, if you want to see a prison for the fear factor go ask to tour san quinton (didnt spell that right did i), thats where they moved everyone from alcatraz to, i think. BACK IN THE DAY

The drive thru tree you’re thinking of is probably the Chandelier Tree?

You usually need to book Alcatraz about a year in advance

You just need to go to Alcatraz's web site and get your tickets. I've been there a few time and remember walking up and getting tix and getting on the ferry. The City (SF) has tons to do and world class restaurants. If you like baseball the A's or Giants will be in town when you are there. A little north of SF is Napa and Sonoma where some great winery's are.

Muir woods is easy close and an outstanding hike located in Mill Valley with nice redwoods (I used to live in M.V.). Also drive up Mt. Tamalpais or even better hike up it from the base in Mill Valley. The main trail is where Moutain biking had some of its origins. From Wikipedia: The sport originated in California on Marin County's Mount Tamalpais. That's what they will tell you too.

Depending on how much free time you have in SF - I would absolutely put Muir Woods national monument on the top of my list. It's an hour + drive from SF as I recall (without traffic). They have the giant Sequoias Our son did the "Escape From Alcatraz" Triathalon (swim across the bay followed by a run and bike ride) a couple of years ago. We spent 2 days seeing stuff - Muir Woods was the most impressive, but the prison was a close second. A few weeks after the swim - the Prison Tour Ferry customers saw a shark eat a seal right off the pier at the prison. Our son was not amused.

The drive thru tree you're thinking of is probably the Chandelier Tree?

You usually need to book Alcatraz about a year in advance

not sure... but thx ill look into it

I went to alcatraz recently with visiting family, and missed our boat, but they let us on the next one. Should ensure a seat about a week or two ahead though by tickets online too.

I found it boring and that hill was no friend to my back.

Muir Woods was the most impressive, but the prison was a close second ...

I used to live in the SF Bay Area for many years, and I am agreeing with the above. Personally, I thought Alcatraz and the beautiful boat ride (albeit short) is almost worth the price alone. If you are anywhere near a baseball fan, the Giants' ballpark is the best in all MLB (what a view!). If you have a favorite team, maybe you even could plan your trip around when they are here (Giants tickets are some of the most expensive in baseball, but it WILL be worth it -- trust me!).

Also ... you can't tour San Quentin; that is still very much a maximum security prison regardless of its great location right on the water on the Marin County side right by the Richmond Bridge.

Not official from SF area but spent much time there in my youth.....A wonderful opportunity might be just North of SF....Marin County..get on Sir Francis Drake boulevard...stay on it!! Just drive, and drive...Fairfax, keep goin...Woodacre and a bit farther you will find Taylor State Park....wonderful stand of Redwoods and such. The drive is amazing with lots of glimpses of the golden hills and them beautiful trees......Good luck, travel safe.

I used to live in the SF Bay Area for many years, and I am agreeing with the above. Personally, I thought Alcatraz and the beautiful boat ride (albeit short) is almost worth the price alone. If you are anywhere near a baseball fan, the Giants' ballpark is the best in all MLB (what a view!). If you have a favorite team, maybe you even could plan your trip around when they are here (Giants tickets are some of the most expensive in baseball, but it WILL be worth it -- trust me!).

Also ... you can't tour San Quentin; that is still very much a maximum security prison regardless of its great location right on the water on the Marin County side right by the Richmond Bridge.

I saw all the home games of the San Fran Demons XFL football games at giants ballpark, (pac bell park). What a blast that was. Oh XFL is coming back too! (But they ripped me off on my reserved season tickets last time when they didnt have a next season.) Never got that refund. But yes that is an amazing place to go to see any game. The view is great.

http://www.upout.com..._b-1024x500.jpg

That is a pic of the park

I saw all the home games of the San Fran Demons XFL football games at giants ballpark, (pac bell park). What a blast that was. Oh XFL is coming back too! (But they ripped me off on my reserved season tickets last time when they didnt have a next season.) Never got that refund. But yes that is an amazing place to go to see any game. The view is great.

http://www.upout.com..._b-1024x500.jpg

That is a pic of the park

You must be one of 4 people who went to those games.

Archived