Gibson Brands Forums

Growing Industrial Hemp

badbluesplayer

So they have a pilot program in Tennessee where people are growing hemp for industrial use, mostly for CBD production. Me and my wife went to a seminar last week about how to grow hemp and the basic economics of it and some licensing and commercial use info. My wife's a Master Gardner and she and her friends are all into this stuff. There were about 200 people there.

I don't think we'll grow any. It's expensive and a pain.

Anyway... So there's a guy there who owns the local hemp store/cbd place and he's talking about the business side of it. And this guy is, like, well... you can tell this guy's been selling product for his whole adult life. [laugh]

The guy even admits it. He's like "I can get all you people started growing... with my 'genetics'... and I'll buy your product... Don't let big hemp come in..." He's like "Some people got as much as $1000 a pound for the smokable stuff" and I'm like :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Here's this guy giving some local farmers the 'drug dealer' treatment. People were walking out on the guy. Some of these guys never change! I'm thinking if these are the people I have to deal with I don't want nothin' to do with this stuff. [biggrin]

So they have a pilot program in Tennessee where people are growing hemp for industrial use, mostly for CBD production. Me and my wife went to a seminar last week about how to grow hemp and the basic economics of it and some licensing and commercial use info. My wife's a Master Gardner and she and her friends are all into this stuff. There were about 200 people there.

I don't think we'll grow any. It's expensive and a pain.

Anyway... So there's a guy there who owns the local hemp store/cbd place and he's talking about the business side of it. And this guy is, like, well... you can tell this guy's been selling product for his whole adult life. [laugh]

The guy even admits it. He's like "I can get all you people started growing... with my 'genetics'... and I'll buy your product... Don't let big hemp come in..." He's like "Some people got as much as $1000 a pound for the smokable stuff" and I'm like :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Here's this guy giving some local farmers the 'drug dealer' treatment. People were walking out on the guy. Some of these guys never change! I'm thinking if these are the people I have to deal with I don't want nothin' to do with this stuff. [biggrin]

gee, nothing like some preconceived notions to make ill-informed, judgmental people feel good about themselves... but hey, whatever gets you through the night i guess.

Murph doesn’t drink alcohol anymore either. Should we ban them from making whiskey in Tennessee?

The t.v. commercials all show cool whiskey drinkers.

The ones I used to step over doing loadouts were passed out in alleys and had pi$$ed themselves.

It's a fine line.

I was trying to let him know that all who smoke are NOT stoners.

That number (legit), as a percentage of pot smokers, is infinitesimal.

Look man, I smoked dump truck loads of pot in my day and drank enough beer to fill several Exxon tankers. I'm just saying old potheads and drunks are embarrassing.

Don't get all defensive.

gee, nothing like some preconceived notions to make ill-informed, judgmental people feel good about themselves... but hey, whatever gets you through the night i guess.

Geez. Dude, I could smoke you under the table. Doesn't mean I can't have a chuckle about this stuff and how creepy the drug scene is.

Not sure how it is there but in CA growing and selling marijuana legally is heavily taxed to the point where it’s basically only worth your time to have a huge operation. Not a lot of room for a small, legal mom and pop type operation here

It's not pot, dude. It's hemp. Less than 3% THC. Used for making CBD oil and fiber, like rope. [unsure]

It's not pot, dude. It's hemp. Less than 3% THC. Used for making CBD oil and fiber, like rope. [unsure]

The “pot” part of your OP was apparently more exciting to us than the “hemp” part [biggrin]

My point is basically this.. Murph basically said it is embarrassing for an adult to smoke pot.. While I do not doubt that Murph has made a fool of himself using alcohol and pot, I don’t see this as a basis to judge every pot smoking adult

If I smoke some pot in the comfort of my home (which I pay for with my job), play some guitar, make some food.. who am I possibly hurting and why should I feel embarrassed?

I get that we all jump on our high horse sometimes but really I just can’t quantify what makes smoking pot as an adult embarrassing by default

The "pot" part of your OP was apparently more exciting to us than the "hemp" part [biggrin]

My point is basically this.. Murph basically said it is embarrassing for an adult to smoke pot.. While I do not doubt that Murph has made a fool of himself using alcohol and pot, I don't see this as a basis to judge every pot smoking adult

If I smoke some pot in the comfort of my home (which I pay for with my job), play some guitar, make some food.. who am I possibly hurting and why should I feel embarrassed?

I get that we all jump on our high horse sometimes but really I just can't quantify what makes smoking pot as an adult embarrassing by default

you can drink responsibly, and not become an acholic

you can smoke pot recreationally, and NOT be a stoner.

lets come back down to earth folks.. moderation is what moderation does..

relax..

my wife has started using the CBD oil for her arthritis & a couple other ailments & it's really helping. and I'm really happy & proud of her being open minded enough to try it. she has always been very anti anything to do with Pot & any other recreational substance. she was instrumental in getting me off of all the "recreational" things that controlled my life for 20 yrs. this April 16th I'll be drug free for 25 years.

my 2 best friends, one smokes pot 2 or 3 times a year, the other all day long like I use to. both are very successful in their lives. they dont use any thing else. I couldn't. I had to give it up because I knew I couldn't keep getting high & still leave all the other things alone.

some people can, some people can't. I couldn't. I had to have it all, do it all and 3 times more then the next guy. I use to actually pride myself in the amount of everything I could do. these days I like to have a couple beers when we go out for crabs or pizza.

theres a lot of benefits to the CBD oils & for that matter smoking pot or eating it. a good friend of mine has Parkinson's. it really helps him with his tremors.

Party on ...

Hemp has many great uses which can an economy out from what I previously understood about it. Again, not versed with all the facts here, but if some hill-jack decides to start smoking their crop, then good luck to you then - just don't involve me with it. From what I understood, you can make paper from it, fabrics, etc. A lot better than plastics in our clothes and cutting down trees for paper... Whatever, I buy expensive guitars that have cost how many fine trees their lives? Want to fight about it, haha! msp_biggrin.gif

my wife has started using the CBD oil for her arthritis & a couple other ailments & it's really helping. and I'm really happy & proud of her being open minded enough to try it. she has always been very anti anything to do with Pot & any other recreational substance. she was instrumental in getting me off of all the "recreational" things that controlled my life for 20 yrs. this April 16th I'll be drug free for 25 years.

my 2 best friends, one smokes pot 2 or 3 times a year, the other all day long like I use to. both are very successful in their lives. they dont use any thing else. I couldn't. I had to give it up because I knew I couldn't keep getting high & still leave all the other things alone.

some people can, some people can't. I couldn't. I had to have it all, do it all and 3 times more then the next guy. I use to actually pride myself in the amount of everything I could do. these days I like to have a couple beers when we go out for crabs or pizza.

theres a lot of benefits to the CBD oils & for that matter smoking pot or eating it. a good friend of mine has Parkinson's. it really helps him with his tremors.

Party on ...

Doug, it's really true that things are different for all of us.

I used to smoke cigarettes. but was never really a smoker.. I am an admitted social smoker, I can have one today, and not touch another one for a year and not care.. this drives my friends and fam who are smokers nuts. My wife is one of them. she is sure if she touches one, she'll be right back in it.

I feel the same way about pot, never worshiped the stuff. times when I was smoking that every day, and times when I go weeks. Generalizations are never really right cuz this is not the same for all of us..

I know a lot of people who struggle with all kinds of additions. Some have beat the demons, some have not, and some are no longer here because they could not get out. That said "Pot" never put anyone in the ground. Not that I know of anyway..

1548343928[/url]' post='1973905']

yep, agreed. I'm really glad society is starting to come around to the benefits of hemp & cannabis in general.

Me too,why suffer when you don't have to. Even in North Dakota recreational was voted on last November 60% no and 40% yes,it didn't pass because it was written with almost no limits on anything but I was amazed it was 40% in favor. MAGA (make America groovy again)

We talked about pot here once before a long time ago and NeoConMan said he wouldn’t let me borrow his truck. There was a member here at the time who grew pot (I wanna saw Cruz or something??) and Neo said he couldn’t borrow the truck either.

At this point so much has changed and now I’m wondering.. would any of you guys let me borrow your truck?

Btw they say pot gives you bad memory, I bet I remember more about that conversation than Neo (I should remember because the truck thing was funny and Milod humbled me with his classic wisdom)

We talked about pot here once before a long time ago and NeoConMan said he wouldn’t let me borrow his truck. There was a member here at the time who grew pot (I wanna saw Cruz or something??) and Neo said he couldn’t borrow the truck either.

At this point so much has changed and now I’m wondering.. would any of you guys let me borrow your truck?

Btw they say pot gives you bad memory, I bet I remember more about that conversation than Neo

I aint got no truck...

Archived