Gibson Brands Forums

pics: seeing as its quiet...

merciful-evans

I posted these on my FB page a short while back (Aug 31) with this message:

A lay in this morning. Up at 4.15am. Went to photograph these light trails between J11 & J12. A hours walk. Got kettle on now. Can I appeal to you spooky theorists please? I need help identifying the 4 green lines in the R/H carriageway of the square pic. I didnt see these but they are in the pic.

69441852_869378333434264_127344076512873

69260332_869378470100917_892759036087238

The green lines?: These are some replies:

It looks a bit like reflective strips on a jacket. But doubt any one would be walking on the motorway  . It does look a bit like that. No 'body' there. I promise you this is not some trick I've cooked up! It seems to be 3 pairs of parallel lines (left pair are superimposed) hovering above the fast lane. The lines indicate movement of a light source.

Perhaps these are the jackets of 3 spectral road diggers. Two are leaning over inspecting the tarmac. The third is standing saying "opps! We forgot to put out the cones boys..."

perhaps you have caught their "spirit" from workers who are on the "other side"

Whoa! Instant transfer to the inside lane?

Interesting. I even looked up M27 fatalities in bed this morning! 

Glow worms

Looks like a pause, & skip forward & backwards buttons

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I posted these on my FB page a short while back (Aug 31) with this message:

A lay in this morning. Up at 4.15am. Went to photograph these light trails between J11 & J12. A hours walk. Got kettle on now. Can I appeal to you spooky theorists please? I need help identifying the 4 green lines in the R/H carriageway of the square pic. I didnt see these but they are in the pic.

69260332_869378470100917_892759036087238

The green lines?: These are some replies:

Whoa! Instant transfer to the inside lane?

LOL - my favorite!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

my first hunch would be lens flare..

caused by the green lights a little higher up in the frame

I did post this a little later

'I found overexposing some of the other pics also showed double green lines. One has a purple halo. Its probably some internal lens flare bouncing between lens elements. Two oncoming headlight trails? I'd still prefer a more colourful & silly explanation though.'

Even more bewildering is the headlights. In the top pic, left hand lanes. These cars are traveling away from the camera:

Also in the main pics, notice the headlights of vehicles do not extend in front of the light trails. Why is that? The cars cant 'catch up' with the headlights. And they were certainly not traveling at light speed.

It beats me!

11 hours ago, kidblast said:

my first hunch would be lens flare.....caused by the green lights a little higher up in the frame

My first thought also went to internal reflection inversal - I've seen it often enough myself - but looking at the lines really magnified I'm now rather doubtful;

green-lights.jpg

For one thing the subject causing the ghost-invresion(s) would normally also be seen on the image 180 degrees rotated around the central point and this isn't the case here.

The closely matched pair of images belonging to the lights lower down clearly suggest some movement and as the camera must have been tripod-mounted (or very securely braced against movement) we can discount camera-shake. I would suspect something moving (relatively slowly in comparison to the traffic) if it were not for the fact that the topmost pair of streaks are not parallel to one another.

Could you please post the other images which show the green ghosts?

Pip.

Edited by pippy

9 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Even more bewildering is the headlights. In the top pic, left hand lanes. These cars are traveling away from the camera:

Also in the main pics, notice the headlights of vehicles do not extend in front of the light trails. Why is that? The cars cant 'catch up' with the headlights. And they were certainly not traveling at light speed.

It beats me!

I'm not quite sure exactly what the highlighted text is talking about. The headlights are seen clearest as soon as the shutter opened because the body of the car was silhouetted against the blackness of the tarmac just as if it would have been in a freeze frame. Afterwards the car was passing through the already exposed area (caused by the lights) and becase the car is obviously a lot darker than the headlight-trails it becomes, in a manner of speaking, invisible.

Or have I misunderstood the point being made?

Pip.

Judging by my ball-park guess of an exposure time of between 1 and 2 seconds the traces where the light-source moves (as opposed to those frames where the light-beams are seen) would suggest a fairly slow moving source with twin light-sources. I'm absolutely baffled but night-vision specs being worn by three individuals has always seemed (to me) to be the original source but, if so, why on earth they are hanging around so close to the central reservation of a motorway?

Looking at the first in the latest series of pics posted by m-e, it shows that one of the light sources is an emitter because the light beams consolidate at one point and head upwards.

The movement of the light-pairings is too slow to be a vehicule but what else / why would anything else be there in the first place never mind being so slow-moving?

Very interesting!

Pip.

17 hours ago, pippy said:

I'm not quite sure exactly what the highlighted text is talking about. The headlights are seen clearest as soon as the shutter opened because the body of the car was silhouetted against the blackness of the tarmac just as if it would have been in a freeze frame. Afterwards the car was passing through the already exposed area (caused by the lights) and becase the car is obviously a lot darker than the headlight-trails it becomes, in a manner of speaking, invisible.

Or have I misunderstood the point being made?

Pip.

I am not speaking of the headlight trails, but the beams. When driving the dipped beams extend in front of the car and illuminate a portion of the road in front of the car. That is missing. Look at where the trails end (when the shutter closed). There is no section of road illuminated by the beams.

10 hours ago, pippy said:

Judging by my ball-park guess of an exposure time of between 1 and 2 seconds the traces where the light-source moves (as opposed to those frames where the light-beams are seen) would suggest a fairly slow moving source with twin light-sources. I'm absolutely baffled but night-vision specs being worn by three individuals has always seemed (to me) to be the original source but, if so, why on earth they are hanging around so close to the central reservation of a motorway?

Looking at the first in the latest series of pics posted by m-e, it shows that one of the light sources is an emitter because the light beams consolidate at one point and head upwards.

The movement of the light-pairings is too slow to be a vehicule but what else / why would anything else be there in the first place never mind being so slow-moving?

Very interesting!

Pip.

Its pretty weird. The shutter was open between 4 to 5 seconds. The lens is a 75mm. Its a macro; so quite a few elements in there. I still think its likely to be bounced  oncoming headlights.

14 hours ago, pippy said:

Very interesting!

Pip.

I have a green laser sight for one of my guns and those pics kind of remind me of it. Although it's most likely not a laser sight, perhaps someone is messing with lasers?

thick%20green%20laser%20beam%20(1).jpg