Gibson Brands Forums

USA - What's this country REALLY worth to you?

NeoConMan

Not limited strictly to Americans, I think people of EVERY nation should consider the following;

Would you swear an oath of allegience to the nation you live and prosper in?

What's it worth to you?

How much does it really mean to you?

For example, if somebody came to you and said "I need you, and a commitment from you, are you with us or not?"

How many Americans would commit themselves without reservation to this?

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

That I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

That I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

That I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;

That I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law;

That I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;

So help me God.

If you were born in the USA, are a citizen and steward of society, are actually concerned with the well-being and success of ALL of us, would you swear such an oath and remain true to it forever?

I know, there will be people who would take issue with a particular phrase or try to 'interpret' it as they see fit.

Forget all that sh!t.

Yes or no.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have just gone into the service.

I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all invaders foreign and domestic.

But, that said. I still think your oath is a good one too. All, but the "so help me god" part. I would add that in court you could simply affirm you oath. So I say 'Yes and I affirm my oath".

How's that.

When I went into the military I had to swear a similar oath with the "..defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic" as well, and i'm still waiting for the military to apprehend Obama for being the current number one threat to our constitution, or have I misinterpreted the word "domestic".

i'm not defending the man, but obama wouldnt be at the top of my list. i can think of (more than) a few congressman and senators who need to be ousted from power.

i can also think of a few people from previous administrations who get a punch to the face before the current president.

When I went into the military I had to swear a similar oath with the "..defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic" as well' date=' and i'm still waiting for the military to apprehend Obama for being the current number one threat to our constitution, or have I misinterpreted the word "domestic".[/quote']:(

Well I was born here, but my parents weren't. They came here looking for a better life. My mom "slaved" (got up at 3:45AM and came home at 6:30PM) in a factory doing piece work her whole life and my dad was forced into retirement because of an illness. They never asked for a handout and they only bought what they could afford (sounds simple, doesn't it?). Life was hard on them but they never complained because they loved this country. They also made sure that I learned what it took to be successful (study hard, get a good job and work hard at it...no secret formula here). All their hard work was to ensure I would have a better life. So, here are my answers:

Would you swear an oath of allegiance to the nation you live and prosper in? Yes and I'd do it on a bible.

What's it worth to you? Everything.

How much does it really mean to you? My life without a doubt.

Well stated Rocketman.

That oath thing I posted?

That's the Oath Of Citizenship sworn by EVERY immigrant when they become an American.

Like your folks, people come here for a variety of reasons.

It means enough to them that they will go through the years of effort and considerable expense, then take that oath.

On a percentage basis, I wonder how many people so blessed to American by birth just can't be bothered to actually make an effort to be a productive citizen at any time and all cost.

From Abkhazia and Afghanistan to Transnistria and Western Sahara, from every sh!t hole and banana republic, people take that oath - and I have to believe most of them realize the gravity of it.

Being a beneficiary of all our Fathers, lucky as we are, look how many people wanna impose conditions, terms and exclusions on their 'participation' in Democracy. Sorry guys, this is where your patriotism just took a hit in the nuts.

So simple, yet so complicated for millions of my countrymen....

I personally find it very disheartening.

You could have just gone into the service.

I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all invaders foreign and domestic.

But' date=' that said. I still think your oath is a good one too. All, but the "so help me god" part. I would add that in court you could simply affirm you oath. So I say 'Yes and I affirm my oath".

How's that.

[/quote']

In my opinion?

Bad.

Without military service, it's a gravy train ride while 'other' people worry about the worries?

That oath should not be an issue for anybody in this nation - as it reads.

gonna run to canada or just rot in the clink?

That's a noble thought...I bet you'd start pullin the trigger if it would save the life of your wife or kids or if somebody was shooting at you...

What if they shoot at you?

Then what?

That would be a good time for some quick assessment of your values' date=' virtues and will to survive....[/quote']

i didnt say i wouldnt serve in the military, but I wouldnt be a foot soldier, i dont think i could handle it, my grandpa was in the coastgaurd, one uncle in the navy, and one in the airforce, so i would probably go one of thoose routes.

something not frontlines, more of a support/tech kind of position

I would like to join up in a service, but i couldnt cut my hair............;)

Well stated Rocketman.

That oath thing I posted?

That's the Oath Of Citizenship sworn by EVERY immigrant when they become an American.

Not that it's a big deal I only point it out so you will know for future reference. My children are both Vietnamese born American immigrants. They became U.S. Citizens upon entry into the States. It is an automatic process and neither was required to swear an oath. All foreign adoptees become citizens upon entry. It's the current law.

Neoconman' date=' I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I'm just curious if you ever served in the military?

And I would have no problem swearing that oath. Notice it states, "where required by law". [/quote']

Nope.

Group W bench for me.

Tried twice in a year, two different induction centers.

First time I got a waiver for all the speeding tickets I got in high school only to be excluded for childhood athsma.

Tried again a year later, conveniently forgot to mention the athsma (been fine since I was 12) and it didn't work.

They found my file from the first try, jumped my *** real good for lying, congratulated me for being so determined and making the effort, wished me luck and sent me home.

My Dad was pissed, he had retired after 22 years....

I make up for now it by always buying dinner for any men or women I see in military uniform.

The wife and I have quietly done so dozens of times.

If we're in a restaurant and we spot a uniform, we ask the waitress to get their tab and bring it to us.

You guys who have trouble with the idea of 'serving' anybody else could at least do that much.

Our service people deserve that and more.

My children are both Vietnamese born American immigrants. They became U.S. Citizens upon entry into the States. It is an automatic process and neither was required to swear an oath. All foreign adoptees become citizens upon entry. It's the current law.

Yep' date=' I understand that.

My stepmother is Japanese.

Minors are subject to custody, adults are acting of their own free will.

The point I was making was not so much about military service (as commendable as that is) but what duty millions of Americans will avoid because they just can't be bothered to do what's right.

Not compelled at all to serve their fellow man.....

They let the rest of us work, volunteer, sacrifice, and then get kicked in the nuts while they piss on everybody's shoes and call it their 'right' to do as they please because "this is America."

How did it [b']become[/b] America?

Not thru the efforts (or lack thereof) of self-centered slackers....

Instead of an oath I think we could all look in the mirror and ask "who am I looking at?" Are you looking at somebody who sets goals and gets where he is going or are you looking at somebody who wants somebody to guarantee it to him? Are you looking at somebody who is prepared to do what is necessary for his wife and kids to live right or at somebody who will walk off when the going gets a little rough? Are you looking at somebody who gives a little more than he is paid to give? Are you looking at somebody who does the BEST job because that's the only kind of job worth doing? Are you looking at somebody who can stand shoulder to shoulder with other men and say "I do my part" or are you looking at a shirker to lets the other fellow serve his time, but will not do the same? We all know who we are. We all know what we ought to be. We all know the difference and most of us know how to make a difference. The mirror always knows who you are .. you can BS the rest of the world, but not the mirror. Make sure you like who you are looking at... it's permanent.

Not that it's a big deal I only point it out so you will know for future reference. My children are both Vietnamese born American immigrants. They became U.S. Citizens upon entry into the States. It is an automatic process and neither was required to swear an oath. All foreign adoptees become citizens upon entry. It's the current law.

Well, it was "automatic" for the 2nd one. The boy immigrated before that law went into place. Still had to pay and file a bunch of paperwork, though. And I know I had to sign something on their behalf, but I don't think there was an oath attached.

Now if we could just change that pesky "natural-born citizen" requirement for President.... It's a shame that we have to tell our kids "You can grow up to be anything you want to be---except President or Vice-President."

Instead of an oath I think we could all look in the mirror and ask "who am I looking at?" Are you looking at somebody who sets goals and gets where he is going or are you looking at somebody who wants somebody to guarantee it to him? Are you looking at somebody who is prepared to do what is necessary for his wife and kids to live right or at somebody who will walk off when the going gets a little rough? Are you looking at somebody who gives a little more than he is paid to give? Are you looking at somebody who does the BEST job because that's the only kind of job worth doing? Are you looking at somebody who can stand shoulder to shoulder with other men and say "I do my part" or are you looking at a shirker to lets the other fellow serve his time' date=' but will not do the same? We all know who we are. We all know what we ought to be. We all know the difference and most of us know how to make a difference. The mirror always knows who you are .. you can BS the rest of the world, but not the mirror. Make sure you like who you are looking at... it's permanent.[/quote']

I like this...

Yep' date=' I understand that.

My stepmother is Japanese.

Minors are subject to custody, adults are acting of their own free will.

The point I was making was not so much about military service (as commendable as that is) but what duty millions of Americans will avoid because they just can't be bothered to do what's right.

Not compelled at all to serve their fellow man.....

They let the rest of us work, volunteer, sacrifice, and then get kicked in the nuts while they piss on everybody's shoes and call it their 'right' to do as they please because "this is America."

How did it [b']become[/b] America?

Not thru the efforts (or lack thereof) of self-centered slackers....

Just a minor point. If there were such a volunteer service as you describe it would be under the direction of the Defense Dept. and thus subject the lawful orders of the Commander-in-Chief. You would be taking orders from your new President Obama. Are you prepared to do that?

If not then this whole exercise is pointless.

Archived