Gibson Brands Forums

Non-Fiction

KSG_Standard

I just finished re-reading "Dark Sun the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" by Richard Rhodes for the second time. Great book, I'm up late because I couldn't stop reading until I finished the book. What good non-fiction books have ya'll read? Any recommendations?

Some of my favorite non-fiction books are:

Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The Prize by Daniel Yergin

Lincoln at Gettyburg by Garry Wells

Vietnam by Stanley Karnow

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot

The Great Influenza by John M. Barry

Seven Roads to Hell by Donald R. Burgett

I just finished re-reading "Dark Sun the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" by Richard Rhodes for the second time. Great book' date=' I'm up late because I couldn't stop reading until I finished the book. What good non-fiction books have ya'll read? Any recommendations?

Some of my favorite non-fiction books are:

Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The Prize by Daniel Yergin

Lincoln at Gettyburg by Garry Wells

Vietnam by Stanley Karnow

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot

The Great Influenza by John M. Barry

Seven Roads to Hell by Donald R. Burgett

[/quote']

I couldn't make it through "Dark Sun", with all that espionage stuff. I didn't find it as compelling as the first one "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" which is one of my favorite books. Make sure if you buy it you use cash and do it at a book store. That is unless you want to end up on some terrorist watch list. On your list there I also read "A Brief History of Time" which I found interesting even if it lacked in some of the nuts and bolts of the science. Sure makes you look cool to have on a coffee table.

I've not had the time to read books like that. Hmmm let me think - within the past few years:

The History of Christianity - Gonzales

Church History - Ferguson

The Baptist Heritage - McBeth

Life and Practice in the Early Church - McKinion

Readings in Christian Thought (translated works of Apostolic Fathers)

When Heaven Touched Earth (about the Great Awakening of the 1800s)

The Shack

I've not had the time to read books like that. Hmmm let me think - within the past few years:

The History of Christianity - Gonzales

Church History - Ferguson

The Baptist Heritage - McBeth

Life and Practice in the Early Church - McKinion

Readings in Christian Thought (translated works of Apostolic Fathers)

When Heaven Touched Earth (about the Great Awakening of the 1800s)

The Shack

The Shack was awesome but also fiction.

djroge1:

Have you ever read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis?

He has a tendency to ramble on quite a bit' date=' but I thought he made some rather good points in the book.[/quote']

I've read parts of it, but not the whole thing. I like what Lewis writes.

There are a lot of good books on Christian living that are out now - Down Pour by James MacDonald is probably my favorite.

WOW' date=' no one mentioned "the bible" ... but then again, neo hasn't posted yet... (and of course I take the bible as fiction)[/quote']

You know that is one of those references that brings a big debate and I really don't feel like nor have the time to debate it. But, I believe it is true (non-fiction) and I've read it often and I still read it every day - not all in one sitting or day though; it takes me a year. Although, I am trying a reading plan to read thru the entire New Testament every 3 months which takes reading 3 chapters per day.

I just finished "My Stroke Of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. A brain scientist who had a stroke, lost her entire left brain hemisphere and years later recovered to tell the story, with the insight of a brain scientist.

I learned about it on a TED interview (I love TED)

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

You can check it out here

Notes

Witness to a Century - George Seldes...

I just googled George Seldes, what an interesting guy! I see a book he wrote called "Even the Gods can't change History: The Facts speak for Themselves" published in 1976...It looks pretty interesting, I think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the post on Seldes.

I just googled George Seldes' date=' what an interesting guy! I see a book he wrote called "Even the Gods can't change History: The Facts speak for Themselves" published in 1976...It looks pretty interesting, I think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the post on Seldes.[/quote']

You're welcome. He was an amazingly well traveled and well connected guy. Hope you enjoy the read. You may find some things that surprise you. I did.

Unfortunately, most of my non-fiction comes in the form of science books & journals. But a couple of my favorites over the years are:

When Heaven and Earth Changed Places (A Vietnamese Woman's Journey from War to Peace) by Le Ly Hayslip

The Double Helix by James Watson

and I'm sure along the way I've read more than a few true crime novels, too.

1776 by David McCullough GREAT BOOK!

John Adams by David McCullough. This one kept me up late, Adams was the true father of our country.

Ben Franklin, Walter Issacson. I actually laughed out loud many times while reading this. Ben Franklin was an absolute nut. I suggest anyone wanting a laugh read about the time he ran an obituary in his own paper listing the owner of his rival paper as deceased. The rival prints an editorial calling Franklin some not so nice names. Franklin replied that the editorial was proof that the man had died because he was such a wonderful man that he would never had said such horrible things about Franklin.

Great books.

Archived