Gibson Brands Forums

I'm tired of it....

Mr. Gibson

On 7/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wanted to stay for the retirement but it the job was not what I thought it would be. I was a maintenance electrician, and where I worked it was nothing but coal coming in from WV, and then it got loaded on to ships to go overseas. The people other than the operators,  keep the coal running on the conveyer belts. Management was a bunch of d-ouches. They claimed they are all about safety, but then they just what the job done no matter what.

The whole entire NASA facility that I work at is mostly wind tunnel testing. I think there are over 20 on the facility.  We have a model in the wind tunnel I work at right now that is way behind the test schedule. It is a model of a rocket that in about 5 years is supposed to be built and go to Jupiter or Saturn.  Lot of smart people collect data. I just fix stuff that breaks. Oh, in case anyone wants to know. In the big hanger on the facility is where in '69 they filmed and faked the moon landing. I actually work with people that believe that. I was also in the Navy and the Coast Guard and sailed all over in many oceans and never when over the edge either.

Union Pacific was great, I actually loved that place. I did about every job there over 10 years before they shut down the Omaha plant. Foreman used to fight over getting Ken & me to work their lines. We did 2 or 3 cars per day.  No-one else did that.  So when I went to Burlington, after my cancer with the UP,  the whole 24 years & 4 months at Burlington was not the same. As you said, Management was very bad there. I had the shops Superintendent once ask me, how I liked Burlington over the UP?  I paused & thought, "Does he really want to know this?"  Yep, he asked again? So I told him, "The difference between the 2 was the management,  Union Pacific only hired managers from the carman, Carman had to work there 20 to 30 years and gain all the experience, so they knew how to work the cars and programs and set them up, thats why they put out a lot of cars, even though it was half the size of Havelock Shops." " Burlington, on the other hand, only hired management from the outside and none had a clue the B end from the A end of a railroad car. Most were stupid to the facts of what the AAR & FRA rules were and as dumb as Schultz on Hogan's Heroes.  He never ventured to ask me another question Lol.  Heh, I even did a drawing of Colonel  Klink sitting at a desk asking Sergeant Schultz a question and Schultz replying, "I KNOW NOTHING."  Haha, The conversation I had dealt with the railroad.  The Col. represented our Superintendent at that time and Srg, represented our general foreman, I put that up on the wall at every station I worked and all the management looked at it n loved my skills drawing & painting it. But not one ever figured out what I was making fun at.  I did stuff like that my whole 24 years there.  Stokey, was another artist there, Just us 2.  He tried that stuff also but was warned by management they would fire him if he continued, but I was much more creative with cartoons and different people in my work and not once, did they ever figure it out.  I had guys laughing at management the whole time there & when I retired, I guess, they all missed me. I left my boots hanging in the rafters when I left with my retirement date and the next superintendent ordered them all down. The last time I visited the shops, Mine were removed by the guys and hung in a place where it wasn't as obvious. but still up there.  

On 7/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

I worked at a Gasto doctor's office for a few years. They have changed the formula of that stuff over time. They used to make you drink a gallon of it.  I don't think anyone does that any more.  When I stopped working there, it was a half gallon.  They do what they can about the taste, but it is what it is.  It's not going to be fun but everyone manages to do it.  The description I heard a lot was "chalky".   

It's over. So glad, yeah...it was the whole Gallon plus a 10 oz bottle of something else I was told to drink.  Couldn't hardly taste that lemon flavor, about wanted to puke with every glass. It tasted horrible like liquid soap mixed with chalk.  I tried to just guzzle them down. Anyway, they found a few polyps and I asked what age they stop doing these. 70 or 75 I was told, so maybe just 2 more times? My next one will be at 70. I'm going to ask for that gator aid one next time. Of course, there's the possibility I may die before then? Lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

Union Pacific was great, I actually loved that place. I did about every job there over 10 years before they shut down the Omaha plant. Foreman used to fight over getting Ken & me to work their lines. We did 2 or 3 cars per day.  No-one else did that.  So when I went to Burlington, after my cancer with the UP,  the whole 24 years & 4 months at Burlington was not the same. As you said, Management was very bad there. I had the shops Superintendent once ask me, how I liked Burlington over the UP?  I paused & thought, "Does he really want to know this?"  Yep, he asked again? So I told him, "The difference between the 2 was the management,  Union Pacific only hired managers from the carman, Carman had to work there 20 to 30 years and gain all the experience, so they knew how to work the cars and programs and set them up, thats why they put out a lot of cars, even though it was half the size of Havelock Shops." " Burlington, on the other hand, only hired management from the outside and none had a clue the B end from the A end of a railroad car. Most were stupid to the facts of what the AAR & FRA rules were and as dumb as Schultz on Hogan's Heroes.  He never ventured to ask me another question Lol.  Heh, I even did a drawing of Colonel  Klink sitting at a desk asking Sergeant Schultz a question and Schultz replying, "I KNOW NOTHING."  Haha, The conversation I had dealt with the railroad.  The Col. represented our Superintendent at that time and Srg, represented our general foreman, I put that up on the wall at every station I worked and all the management looked at it n loved my skills drawing & painting it. But not one ever figured out what I was making fun at.  I did stuff like that my whole 24 years there.  Stokey, was another artist there, Just us 2.  He tried that stuff also but was warned by management they would fire him if he continued, but I was much more creative with cartoons and different people in my work and not once, did they ever figure it out.  I had guys laughing at management the whole time there & when I retired, I guess, they all missed me. I left my boots hanging in the rafters when I left with my retirement date and the next superintendent ordered them all down. The last time I visited the shops, Mine were removed by the guys and hung in a place where it wasn't as obvious. but still up there.  

This job is so much better. I haven't been to work in 17 weeks. My boss called me today. I thought damn maybe we're going back or I have to go pee in a cup or something. Nope got a 4 percent raise. I'm the only electrician there that doesn't have his master's license. My 23 years in the service and experience paid off.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We might get a raccoon or squirrel in the building if we leave our roll up doors opened to long. One of the other electricians in my office is an incessant snacker, so he's always got crumbs on his desk. The field mice always s-hit over on his desk.

Reminds me when Steve & I went into the cabinet to blast the paint off a car and blow off the shot.  He was blowing air in one end of the car and I on the other end. That air blew the shot off the top of the center sill in the middle of the car, I got done first and started to walk away. Out came this grumpy old fat raccoon with his fur all standing up from that 200 lb's of air each of us blew in.  I could tell he was very ticked off. He walked slowly out of the cabinet and we couldn't find him afterwards when we came out. We both had a laugh about it. 

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This job is so much better. I haven't been to work in 17 weeks. My boss called me today. I thought damn maybe we're going back or I have to go pee in a cup or something. Nope got a 4 percent raise. I'm the only electrician there that doesn't have his master's license. My 23 years in the service and experience paid off.

Good for you, I always admired the electricians. My wife's step dad was an electrician at OPPD. He did most of the electrics here at our home restoring it.  We live in a original home stead house from the 1890's. I hate messing with electricity,  I've been shocked too many times. 

2 minutes ago, Retired said:

Good for you, I always admired the electricians. My wife's step dad was an electrician at OPPD. He did most of the electrics here at our home restoring it.  We live in a original home stead house from the 1890's. I hate messing with electricity,  I've been shocked too many times. 

Yeah don't f with it if you don't know want your doing. Electricity is not picky. It will kill anyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah don't f with it if you don't know want your doing. Electricity is not picky. It will kill anyone.

I got hit with a 440 at work twice, Once it split my right thumb. Still have a scar about 1/2" long.  My dad told me to place this screw driver and adjust the timing on my race car once. Or somewhere around this screw. I had a step up transformer on it and the car was running.  That was back in my 20's. The shock sent me back against the garage wall.  I wanted to punch him out for that one, Grrr! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I got hit with a 440 at work twice, Once it split my right thumb. Still have a scar about 1/2" long.  My dad told me to place this screw driver and adjust the timing on my race car once. Or somewhere around this screw. I had a step up transformer on it and the car was running.  That was back in my 20's. The shock sent me back against the garage wall.  I wanted to punch him out for that one, Grrr! 

440 don't play. I got tagged a time or two by it. 277 and 120 too. 400 hz 115 vac once working on gyro. 440 is deadly enough. The guys that work on HV can earn that money. When parts of you blow off and burn when shocked that's were I draw the line.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

My son is apprentice electrician working his way to journeyman. Went to school 3 years to get commercial,pay ain't great now,but this place does tons of different  kinds of jobs,so the experience he's getting is great. Maybe someday he'll pay me back that 2500 bucks I loaned him? Ya right,dream on Jim dream on,

10 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

My son is apprentice electrician working his way to journeyman. Went to school 3 years to get commercial,pay ain't great now,but this place does tons of different  kinds of jobs,so the experience he's getting is great. Maybe someday he'll pay me back that 2500 bucks I loaned him? Ya right,dream on Jim dream on,

I troubleshoot and fix stuff. During my time in the Navy and the Coast Guard I went to tons of schools where I had electrical theory shoved in my head, nowadays I have to go on the internet and look into up or to remember that stuff. I hate doing installation and since most of my time as an electrician was on ships, don't even ask me to bend conduit unless all you want is a 90 in it, and even then I'll probably screw it up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did you go to BE&E at GLakes?    I passed, but can't say I learned anything. Didn't need it to be a Radioman.  Just morse code and typing real fast.  

The Sad Faces are really just upside down smiles from some Goober who doesn't know up from down.  Don't sweat them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Did you go to BE&E at GLakes?    I passed, but can't say I learned anything. Didn't need it to be a Radioman.  Just morse code and typing real fast.  

The Sad Faces are really just upside down smiles from some Goober who doesn't know up from down.  Don't sweat them. 

Here is my saga. I went to boot and SD. Then BEE in SD. I was going to be an ET. After BEE I went to Great Mistakes and started ET "A" School. Well I was 21 and partied too much and failed out of ET "A" school. I got reclassified to EM. EM "A school was a breeze for me and I still had all the electrical theory fresh in my head. Graduated EM "A" school and got stationed in Yokosuka, Japan on the USS Curts (FFG-38), a Perry Class Frigate. During my 2 years there, this clown in Iraq called Saddam stirred up some trouble, and I got to go over there and float around in the beautiful Persian Gulf.

Then I got out and joined the Coast Guard. Should have done that from the get go. Retired an EMCS.

Here comes another sad face.

My dad was a Radioman when he was in The Navy. He was on the USS Intrepid and stationed over in Tripoli at a Comm Sta.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is my saga. I went to boot and SD. Then BEE in SD. I was going to be an ET. After BEE I went to Great Mistakes and started ET "A" School. Well I was 21 and partied too much and failed out of ET "A" school. I got reclassified to EM. EM "A school was a breeze for me and I still had all the electrical theory fresh in my head. Graduated EM "A" school and got stationed in Yokosuka, Japan on the USS Curts (FFG-38), a Perry Class Frigate. During my 2 years there, this clown in Iraq called Saddam stirred up some trouble, and I got to go over there and float around in the beautiful Persian Gulf.

Then I got out and joined the Coast Guard. Should have done that from the get go. Retired an EMCS.

Here comes another sad face.

My dad was a Radioman when he was in The Navy. He was on the USS Intrepid and stationed over in Tripoli at a Comm Sta.

My dad went to Great Lakes in 1945, he was a driver for officers,My older brother went to Orlando in 1983,He was a yeoman for 20 years. He worked at the pentagon until his office got destroyed in the aftermath of 911. After that he worked for chief of chaplains til he retired in 2003. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

My dad went to Great Lakes in 1945, he was a driver for officers,My older brother went to Orlando in 1983,He was a yeoman for 20 years. He worked at the pentagon until his office got destroyed in the aftermath of 911. After that he worked for chief of chaplains til he retired in 2003. 

I live about 3 hours from the Pentagon. I have driven past it many times going into DC. It looks bigger in the movies. Great Lakes is without a doubt the most miserable place on earth. At least the Navy doesn't have to change any of their bases names like  the Army (wonder what the past generation of soldiers think of that). My friend who was a paratrooper and in during the 70's thinks its ridiculous. He says if they do change the name he will always call it Ft. Benning and Ft. Bragg. I'll bet most soldiers in less that a few years have no clue who the bases they are stationed on are named after.

Good Times, Sarge.     I went to Recruit Training in Great Lakes. Then back after a week of recuperation at home to go to Basic Electricity & Electronics school and then off to Bainbridge, MD for Radioman "A" school.  Then three ships, two of which were Comm types.  Like you, in school, I got to 'feeling my oats'.  Got Captains Mast and  reduced in rank.  That's when I realized  it was easier to go along to get along.  We use to ride the train up to Milwaukee, stay in a seedy old hotel by the train station and drink all weekend.  Learned how to chug a beer out of a can in two seconds.     Ships are named after people too.   People like FDR and JFK.  

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

440 don't play. I got tagged a time or two by it. 277 and 120 too. 400 hz 115 vac once working on gyro. 440 is deadly enough. The guys that work on HV can earn that money. When parts of you blow off and burn when shocked that's were I draw the line.

I won't touch it today, just hire an electrician now. 

21 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, Lol. 

• Like 1