Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard T

gampadoug

I think you were right first time....traditional ('normal' specs for 'tronics)  as opposed to HP high performance (modern gizmo specs).

there was also a LP Traditional T (yep) and Traditional HP for a couple of years, but they had heavier bodies and such vs Standards.

the marketing guys from Gibson say:

All the ingredients that made the Les Paul name legendary are in the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016 T. This is truly a comprehensively featured, fully loaded Les Paul, with a compound-radius rosewood fingerboard and modern weight relief to provide outstanding balance and playing feel while optimizing the guitar's celebrated tone.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

the marketing guys from Gibson say:

All the ingredients that made the Les Paul name legendary are in the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016 T. This is truly a comprehensively featured, fully loaded Les Paul, with a compound-radius rosewood fingerboard and modern weight relief to provide outstanding balance and playing feel while optimizing the guitar's celebrated tone.

I want to make up the fancy words and sayings about guitars, but I guess I need a big fancy marketing degree and I only have a small  and boring liberal arts degree.

These Les Paul Traditional T's are more Les Paulier than any Les Paul from any era. If Les Paul were alive right now the Les Paul Traditional T would be more authentic than even the real Les Paul.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want to make up the fancy words and sayings about guitars, but I guess I need a big fancy marketing degree and I only have a small  and boring liberal arts degree.

These Les Paul Traditional T's are more Les Paulier than any Les Paul from any era. If Les Paul were alive right now the Les Paul Traditional T would be more authentic than even the real Les Paul.

yea I know,  I wish I had a job where I could write a bunch of stuff that actually explained nothing in particular..  Must be nice to get gigs like that!

Had they left the Standard line up be, they would have had no need to create yet another product offering.  Fender did the same thing with the "Professional"

In these cases, the name STANDARD is a known commodity.  just confuses the uninitiated and they are probably already confused..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

yea I know,  I wish I had a job where I could write a bunch of stuff that actually explained nothing in particular..  Must be nice to get gigs like that!

Had they left the Standard line up be, they would have had no need to create yet another product offering.  Fender did the same thing with the "Professional"

In these cases, the name STANDARD is a known commodity.  just confuses the uninitiated and they are probably already confused..

I've thought for a long time Gibson should make 4 diferent models of each guitar, after that order from the Custom Shop.  There is no need for 20 types of LP's or any other model of guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've thought for a long time Gibson should make 4 diferent models of each guitar, after that order from the Custom Shop.  There is no need for 20 types of LP's or any other model of guitar.

Good idea.

Fujigen mostly build 3 different versions of USA type models, they do it for other brands and their own FGN. From memory, the price points are roughly this:

£460 basic model

£750 intermediate

£1,200 top spec

The price differentials are significant. Gibson's Junior / Studio / Classic-Trad / Standard would work too I reckon

On 11 August 2020 at 7:20 PM, merciful-evans said:

Good idea.

Fujigen mostly build 3 different versions of USA type models, they do it for other brands and their own FGN. From memory, the price points are roughly this:

£460 basic model

£750 intermediate

£1,200 top spec

The price differentials are significant. Gibson's Junior / Studio / Classic-Trad / Standard would work too I reckon

Or maybe you could have LP, SG, 335 etc all available as:

Custom / Standard / Studio / Junior (or Special)

Kidblast got it right.  In 2016 and 2017 anyway the "T" did not have to  mean Traditional.  The "Traditional" models did not have weight relief for one thing, so they were heavy.  I have a 2017 LP Standard T and it is as KidBlast described in his Gibson quote.  It is a Standard, but it has "ultra-modern" weight relief and weighs just over 7 pounds.  It has a compound radius fingerboard which may sound like a small detail, but it plays quite different from a normal board.  Also they had the four push-pulls on the volume and tone knobs for coil tap, out of phase, and bypass which are the " comprehensively featured, fully loaded" part .

It was confusing to me when I got it why they labeled it a Standard T and  yet it was very different from their Traditional model but there are differences between the two, just not the wisest use of labels if you want to avoid confusion.