Gibson Brands Forums

Who would like to see real gibsons with flame fretboard inlays and such things?

Thundergod

Let the custom shop do it or have it done to your own axe, if you must. I like my own inlay on my custom but I wouldn't want to see Gibson start offering stock models with fanciful inlays. They don't need to do that to sell their instruments.

Sometimes a tricked out fret board can look nice with a nice guitar.

I agree. But I don't think that's the kind of thing Gibson needs to attract customers. I think a showroom full of a hundred guitars with repetitions of the same 5 or 6 inlay patterns would blow.

Well then LPs should only have dots instead of trapezoids' date=' blocks, parallelograms, etc like how they come now?[/quote']

Not really... trapezoiods, blocks and parallelograms do act as fretboard markers. Shark tooth inlays act as fret markers too... and they look good on jacksons...

But those flames (and for example the snake on slash's signature from the snakepit era) are all over the fretboard, and so they don't act as markers.

Not really... trapezoiods' date=' blocks and parallelograms do act as fretboard markers. Shark tooth inlays act as fret markers too... and they look good on jacksons...

But those flames (and for example the snake on slash's signature from the snakepit era) are all over the fretboard, and so they don't act as markers. [/quote']

Oh ok I get what you're saying. Yeah I'm with you I normally don't go for that stuff either, but Elvis's guitar with his name running down the fretboard looked cool (of course, Elvis could pull some sh!t & get away with it).

Oh ok I get what you're saying. Yeah I'm with you I normally don't go for that stuff either' date=' but Elvis's guitar with his name running down the fretboard looked cool (of course, Elvis could pull some sh!t & get away with it).[/quote']

Indeed... imagine if the johnas brothers did the same ... wait... most of their fans would love that :-k

I wouldn't... they look ridiqulous IMO.

I also hate those roses' date=' tribal drawings and other things some brands like schecter, ibanez and PRS use in some of their guitars... and they defeat the purpose of the fretboard inlay: fret marker.[/quote'] Seen a custom LP with a pearl hot rod flame inlay on the fretboard and it looked killer to say the least! One off , yes , but grabbed your attention....

Archived