Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 Owners - Favourite Strings?

Brucebubs

17 hours ago, Jinder said:

Thanks KB! Slowly getting there, still in hospital and likely to be here for another couple of weeks at least. Desperate to get home to my partner, kids and guitars but have some more mending to do first 🙂

Mr Jinder - good to see you clear up.  How come you didn't check my FB-Q. I seriously need your take on this, , , and your box here is full. 
Keep the curve ascending.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:20 AM, kidblast said:

If you want to try a "extended life" string.. I like Cleartone PBs.  They last a very long while, they do not shred like Elixirs do.  I do like Elixir PBs  I do not like the shredding.

What is this shredding?  I have Elixers on my J-200 and really like them; I guess I haven't experienced this shredding or,,,?

On 11/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, PrairieSchooner said:

What is this shredding?  I have Elixers on my J-200 and really like them; I guess I haven't experienced this shredding or,,,?

The shredding of the Elixir coating was more likely to be on well-aged Polywebs, especially the earlier formulations. Word of the PTFE coating spread on the internet. Elixirs next offering was the thinner coated Nanowebs, which you might  see shredding on if left on the guitar for an extended period of time (years?)

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

On my maple SJ-200, my favorite recorded tone has been the D'Addario EXP-16 pb, but I much preferred the Elixir Nano 80/20. There was a power factor with the lows and low-mids that I dug. Thick, but not too thick. While I do have a couple sets in my string basket, I want to try a set of DR Veritas on it. I put these on my Martin D-41 (rosewood) and loved them. I also want to try a set of DR Sunbeams on it. I've used them for my Hummingbird and Martin D41 with much success. 

Recently, I mistakenly ordered a set of John Pearse #650 Bluegrass (PBs) that has the E-A-D strings from a medium set and G-B-E from a set of lights. I tried these on my Hummingbird and just adore them. I might order a set for the maple SJ-200 next. 

I've also used the D'Addario NB quite a few times. I get a bit of an odd pick noise and resonance from them on recordings, but I like them quite a bit otherwise.

Thanks again everyone - bit of history with me and Elixirs - they don't talk about my playing and I don't talk about how they feel like they're covered in greasy fried chicken fat - tried them 3 times - guess I'm one of the people with skin that just slides off their coating - no problem with other brands of coated strings,  just Elixirs.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, Brucebubs said:

Thanks again everyone - bit of history with me and Elixirs - they don't talk about my playing and I don't talk about how they feel like they're covered in greasy fried chicken fat - tried them 3 times - guess I'm one of the people with skin that just slides off their coating - no problem with other brands of coated strings,  just Elixirs.

LOL!!!   kentucky fried chicken fat, or pop eyes chicken fat? hey either way...   it's all about the tone man..  Kentucky fat is definitely got some of it's own mojo goin on..

I ‘ve been using Martin SP Lights on all my guitars for several years now.  I like them a lot.  First bought them when they were on sale at GC.  I think it was something like $10 for a pack of ten, so I bought three packs to start.  I’ve got some Martin Marquis on one of my Gibbys and Retros on another.  Anyway, my style of playing is pretty easy on strings and I’ll keep them on for months (sometimes 18 months or so).......I like the sound of them and will likely keep buying them.   In all honesty, I’m not very sophisticated when it comes to strings.  If I didn’t have numerous sets of SPs, I’d be considering whatever was on sale.

I had a spare set of D'Adarrio EJ16s lying around.  I broke a G string on my Cleartone set when I went to replace my 9volt (hate when that happens )

So I slapped those on.  I've used them on my J200 before, but not for a while.  I really liked what I got out of em right off.   So much so that I bought a 3 pack 14.98 for three sets, which is less than ONE set of Cleartones or Elixir Nanos.  

{I'm pretty much done with Elixirs,, the shredding of their coatings drives me nuts.  Cleartones do not do this but they're expensive.}

I'll be using those on my acoustics (6 strings anyway) for the next change on all of them. 

1 hour ago, generaldreedle said:

I really liked the EJ 17s on my Guild JF 30 Maple.  I know that's not relevant to anything anyone is discussing, I just thought I'd say it

Thanks but I think  .013's would just be overkill on my guitar - in fact, none of my guitars sound or play better with mediums.

I asked for string suggestions for my Epiphone EJ-200 on another forum a couple of years ago - several suggested mediums to drive that big top - made sense to me - tried a set of round-core DR Sunbeam mediums and it went backwards - by chance I had a set of Sunbeam lights so I put them on next - incredible difference - love them on that guitar.

TEjTazDl.jpg

28 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

I asked for string suggestions for my Epiphone EJ-200 on another forum a couple of years ago - several suggested mediums to drive that big top - made sense to me - tried a set of round-core DR Sunbeam mediums and it went backwards - by chance I had a set of Sunbeam lights so I put them on next - incredible difference - love them on that guitar.

yeah- the whole “gotta drive that big top” thing- not always what you’re going for. I too, have found value in going light on string selection, especially when you want to hear the other  side of maple.

Also- nice photo. . . but what’s in the soundhole of the Epi’?

Edited by 62burst

36 minutes ago, 62burst said:

yeah- the whole “gotta drive that big top” thing- not always what you’re going for. I too, have found value in going light on string selection, especially when you want to hear the other  side of maple.

Also- nice photo. . . but what’s in the soundhole of the Epi’?

It's a Planet Waves O Port Sound Enhancer.

jJ0CL3Tl.jpgECX0GCGl.jpg

Fitted by the previous owner.

Does it work?

Honestly can't tell you, it was in there when I bought the guitar, happy with how it sounds (with Sunbeams) so I just left it in - I've never heard the guitar with it out.

That's what it looked like, but couldn't see the O Port's ends at the fretboard extension. I'd tried one in the sunburst EJ-200 I had- bought it used, so it was a cheap enough experiment. If fast at taking it in and out, I suppose a difference could be heard. But it does make one wonder about how sound moves around inside of a guitar.

9 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

It's a Planet Waves O Port Sound Enhancer.

jJ0CL3Tl.jpgECX0GCGl.jpg

Fitted by the previous owner.

Does it work?

Honestly can't tell you, it was in there when I bought the guitar, happy with how it sounds (with Sunbeams) so I just left it in - I've never heard the guitar with it out.

The Board's Buc McMaster took one for the team and threw himself after one of these when they first came out.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Can't remember his judgement - but believe it didn't hit the long bell as he never used one since. 

Here's a demonstration. A/B starts at 7:45.

And here it begins at 3:30 - huge difference, but 2 different guitars. 

Edited by E-minor7

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

And here it begins at 3:30 - huge difference, but 2 different guitars. 

Nice to see he's using the capo trick to leave the strings on, but it's been years since I've had to attack the bridge pins from outside of the guitar to get them out. . . slacken, pop from inside, polish cloth held over their tops to keep them from launching. 

If I recall, it was possible to do a slightly faster a/b by sneaking the O Port around the strings w/o their removal, but it was a little stressful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks but there's no way I'm putting .013's on this thing - it just doesn't need it!

Did my 1st string change yesterday and decided to try J Pearse 80/20's - I normally can't stand 80/20's but this is the warmest sounding guitar I've owned - not bad at all! Plenty of volume and bottom end in the mix, the mids are louder and clearer, a little string noise and more tension than the Gibson PB's fitted at the factory.

h39qioil.jpg

14 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Thanks but there's no way I'm putting .013's on this thing - it just doesn't need it!

Did my 1st string change yesterday and decided to try J Pearse 80/20's - I normally can't stand 80/20's but this is the warmest sounding guitar I've owned - not bad at all! Plenty of volume and bottom end in the mix, the mids are louder and clearer, a little string noise and more tension than the Gibson PB's fitted at the factory.

h39qioil.jpg

Oh, Cool! I got a set of these this past Summer, but have not put them on my Maple SJ-200 yet. I've got several in line for it. Being pleased with the John Pearse PB Bluegrass strings, I've become more eager to try the 80/20's. Your report makes it more intriguing.

The ones on it now are the EJ-16s that I mentioned earlier. They were awful for the first month or so. I kept them on for an A/B testing with my RW SJ-200 and because I had not finished a song it was featured on, and wanted to wait until I was sure I didn't need to change anything. The Maple SJ-200's strings went into that weird sounding, strings wearing out phase. Then all of a sudden, about 3 months old, they began to sound fantastic. They became quite warm sounding, complete with that little bit of thickness in every note that helps to complete a deep, maybe even rich tone.

The RW SJ-200 was different. They never adjusted like that and eventually replace them with the stock Gibson coated PBs late in October. They were an improvement right away, but I'm ready for them to be gone now as they have digressed.  They did start doing a transition to a less noisy, somewhat warmer existence like the EXP-16s on the Maple, but hit a brick wall and got downright awful to keep tuned. I'm think this one will get new strings this week. Maybe the Veritas like I've had in mind to use on the Maple SJ-200.

btw, I agree on the coating issues of some of the Elixers. I know I get that feeling, but I don't remember which version it is. Maybe it's both. I still have the 80/20s that I thought would end up being the ones for the Maple, but it's fun to experiment and I already know what these will do.