Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 Owners - Favourite Strings?

Brucebubs

The original factory fitted .012-.053 PB strings are just starting to sound a little dull on my new Historic 1957 SJ-200 after 4 weeks playing at home every day - just wondering what strings  other SJ-200 owners out there like to use? Thanks.

p.s.  I was taught to spell favorite with a 'u' down here ... but now both versions are acceptable.

If you want to try a "extended life" string.. I like Cleartone PBs.  They last a very long while, they do not shred like Elixirs do.  I do like Elixir PBs  I do not like the shredding.

So Cleartones seem to solve that.  I put some on my J200 in April, and they still sound feel and look pretty good.  Crazy!

Masterbuilts are good if you can find them,,, I don't think they are easily found tho.  I can only get about 6 weeks out of em tho.

Then there's the old standby.. D'Addario EJ16s..  about the same,, 6 weeks

I think GHS is making Gibson strings now, 

My wife is a big fan of the Santa Cruz strings on her J200.   Pretty pricey though.  I have been meaning to get her a couple of sets of Straight Up strings which  were developed by the same guy who came up with the SC strings but at about 1/2 the price.  Last couple of times I check though production had been shut down because of the pandemic.

Me, I prefer Newtones on pretty much everything.  Only problem is I have to think ahead to order them from the factory  which is not one of my strong points.  Other than that I have little loyalty other than  I prefer strings wound on a round core.  I just like the feel of them.

Edited by zombywoof

3 hours ago, Hall said:

John Pearse

I put John Pearse 12-53 80/20 Bronze on my Custom Mart. D-18 on the 14th of November. Hadn't used them for a looong time and first thought, naaaaeeeh. . .                                                                                                                          The last 3 days they have been sounding/feeling excellent. 

Thanks guys - I'm taking notes and writing theses suggestions down, some of these I already happen to have too. I do have 3 packs of Gibson Masterbuilt PB lights, same as the factory fitted originals. They set a pretty good standard so if others don't work for me I can always go back to these.

This is an extremely warm sounding guitar so DR Sunbeams and Martin Retro's didn't cross my mind, I 've used both on other guitars I have and they're excellent.

Ordered some John Pearse 80/20's which is totally unusual for me, I'm not a 80/20 fan but they just might suit this guitar?

I also ordered some GHS Thin Core PB lights, Bright Bronze lights, Signature Bronze lights  and Americana lights to try.

In my string stash I've got some D'Addario EXP16's and some Nickel Bronze lights.

Edited by Brucebubs

41 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Thanks guys - I'm taking notes and writing theses suggestions down, some of these I already happen to have too.

Let's hear how it turns out. The variety you present is exciting.

I personally like to use bronze on my maple (and some mahogany) guitars. The Dove & Firebird may be bright, but they are also fat-mellow. Actually experience some kind of paradox there.                                                                                                        Back to you

If I were me, I'd leave the current strings on for another 4 weeks and see what they sound like once they hit their stride. And your ears adjust to voice of the newbie.     The sound of new strings deteriorates quickly and, I think more noticeably for me - on my maple SJ-200.  That is not the guitar I grab if I want  a shiny, bright silver bell ringing sound.  

Having said that - Martin Retros here. 

7 minutes ago, Jinder said:

D'Addario EXPs are superb on my SJ200, as are Newtone Masterclass 80/20s or PB. 

Martin SPs work well too, but are a distant third after the previous two.

Jinder, great to see you being active here!!! 👍

• Like 1

If its a really warm sounding SJ-200 then give Elixir PB's a go. I normally HATE those strings, I foun they sound awful on mahogany backed guitars, but they really shine on maple, the tone is rich and natural.   Plus also provide that extra brightness and cut-through that you probably need given the warmth.  btw .. certainly 12's, tried 13's but no, choek the tone too much.

5 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Those DR Rares Bluegrass are too heavy at the bottom end - this is a very warm sounding guitar - I reckon most would think it was rosewood in a blind test - I think a .056 might just be overkill?

I had Pyramid Silver Plated strings on my Southern Jumbo.  That would brighten things up!

Thanks again everyone - great suggestions - the warmth and depth has surprised me, loving it - I can see why they fit .012 lights from the factory.

For those who may be interested I also have a maple Huss & Dalton MJ Custom.

CF8POBil.jpg24UGd85l.jpg

I take my hat off to the H&D for it's light build and responsiveness but the Gibson has more tone and greater versatility.

Edited by Brucebubs

On 11/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, kidblast said:

Jinder,  welcome back man.  Hope you're on the mend.

Thanks KB! Slowly getting there, still in hospital and likely to be here for another couple of weeks at least. Desperate to get home to my partner, kids and guitars but have some more mending to do first 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jinder said:

Thanks KB! Slowly getting there, still in hospital and likely to be here for another couple of weeks at least. Desperate to get home to my partner, kids and guitars but have some more mending to do first 🙂

ya, I'd be going out of my mind, but healing properly takes the time it takes,   all the best wishes for you my friend.