Gibson Brands Forums

The Studio club

jrseriel

Solid advice.

I played a LP Studio at my guitar shop, and while the strings they had on there were kind of old and cruddy, I did enjoy the sound. The only problem I had with it was that the neck was a little fat, but this model has a 60s profile neck instead of a 50s, so I think I'll be OK there. Plus, this model has a coil-split as well. The way I see it, this is almost guaranteed to be better than what I'm currently playing.

I think I'll take the plunge.

[thumbup]

And yes to the 60s necks.. My first ever LP (back in like 92) was a studio but with a 50s neck.. When I went to get my next one I just tried a bunch and didnt even know what it was called but I got it as I liked the neck so much. It turned out I got a Classic 1960 Re-issue (which when you dont know looks just like a Standard to you). And man I havent looked back since.. ALL of my Gibbys must have a 60s neck its the most important thing to me.

So yeah. let us know how you get on man.

Things too look for..

Really rough fret edges which has been a big complaint with guitars that dont have neck binding..

Inntonation.. That each note up and down the fret board is in tune and not buzzing (but that could just be a bad setup that is again a big complaint and can be easily fixed, but should really be done by every guitar shop before they get sent out)

Apart from that just check the neck is straight and that all the knobs and switches work and you should be ok :)

Like a bad penny that always returns, I might be back tomorrow. I'm going to look at a used Studio 60s neck in honeyburst. I saw it the other day and definitely noticed the looks. P90s are my favorite sound, a good combination between the single coils I love and the humbuckers I sometimes get blah over. I'm slightly concerned about how comfortable the neck will be with my big hands, but being a hobby player, I can probably tolerate a lot more than you guys who gig. I'll be questioning whether to trade in an Epi Traditional Pro, a pretty useful guitar with the ability to split the humbuckers. Pictures tomorrow afternoon if I decide to grab it. The price is almost too good to pass up.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe, I've done it again .. .selling a Stratocaster for a Les Paul :)

I've got a 2001 Les Paul Studio '60 Honey Burst a true Blues girl, called "Lizzie" in honor of Lizzie "Memphis Minnie"

(excuse me for the bad image quality)

Lizzie.jpg

I don't believe, I've done it again .. .selling a Stratocaster for a Les Paul :)

I've got a 2001 Les Paul Studio '60 Honey Burst a true Blues girl, called "Lizzie" in honor of Lizzie "Memphis Minnie"

(excuse me for the bad image quality)

Mine is identical. Obviously, you can take from that statement that I bought it. (I'm sooooooo weak!) Like ricoblues said, it's a great blues guitar, but there's a difference here between the P90s on my LP and the dog ear P90s on my Epi Wildkat. They compliment each other in an unusual way.

Set high to low, the pickups in the LP are never as raw and mean as the dog ears. While they have a definite edge, they still have a dignified smoothness to them. Down a bit and they are absolutely creamy for blues more like a humbucker tone. Low, they take on a jangle like a Strat single coil. Then, take all that and compliment it with the various amp models through my Vox DA5 and as a buddy of mine would say, "You got a ton o'tones there."

I'll say something no guitar player wants to hear, but as crazy as I am, loving that I have a selection of things to play, this is one guitar you could use for almost everything. The main accessory would just be a small screwdriver.

LP2.jpg

If you judge the value of a guitar by it's appearance, you're missing the point.... People want Les Pauls because of the way they sound initially and they then change things to suit their own, personal musical taste. So trying to sell yours with the SDs was going to devalue it in most people's eyes and to say that it's worth more now because you've added "Bling" makes no sense if it's still the same basic guitar, with the same SD pickups.... Sorry, but for every $100 you spend on appearance, you'll be lucky to add $10 to the value.

Well, I posted a thread on here a few months ago about a Studio that I have that I couldn't sell for $725. I was told that because it had 'Seymour Duncans" and not original pickups, that it wasn't worth jack.

Naturally, I thought this advice was moronic. To prove my point, I kept the guitar and added MORE non-Gibson hardware. I added Tone-Pros locking bridge and tailpiece, Faber locking posts, Sperzel locking tuners, Graphtech saddles and miscelanous other hardware. I just got it finished yesterday, and last night was the first time I was able to crank it up. The before and afters are below:

Before:

P1150730.jpg

And now, lady's and gentlemen; I give you The Bandit:

Studiopaul.jpg

Now THAT's a hot rod. Think she'll fetch $725 now?

I just received my LP Studio for Christmas. I got the Worn Cherry. I mostly play acoustics but like to make some loud noise from time to time. This is my first USA made electric and it is what I expected. A great sounding and looking guitar I feel I will have for years. This is my first Gibson and I'm looking forward to years of fun with it. Great job of Gibson to make an affordable but great guitar.

This is my latest at the moment... (Was WC)

I know burning a design into it may seem a little permanent, but I can't do "normal" lol

There's no point buying a AAA flame topped beauty if you can't leave things alone.... And one thing I can't stand is having something that looks like it could belong to anyone!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The p'up covers will improve as the etched parts aquire a deeper patina.. (The centre cover is an old, solid copper Armstrong item to hide a modified 1960s Single coil I've had floating about for years)

I've already copper plated the rest of the hardware while the wife was out, but haven't etched it yet as she is a bit uneasy about me using noxious chemicals in the kitchen for some strange reason????... (It's had her "experimental" cooking in it for a dozen years and that's not killed anyone yet, so it should handle mere corrosive chems with ease)

That and a few other little surprises, like a 19th century watch face as the selector switch ring and an etched brass scratchplate should give the whole thing an "Antique" look to go with Alice and the "hookah smoking caterpillar"

• Upvote 1

Picked this one up for our 9yo son for Christmas. He's been playing acoustic for a couple years now so we decided to go electric. Studio Deluxe Iced tea. HMMM, looks like the back is straight grain? Imo a nice guitar for a good price. There seems to be a lot of value here particularly for for someone just starting into electric. Hopefully this won't be his last Gibson. Ps. sorry for the crappy pics. The dark spot on the bottom left is just a shadow.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm new here @ the forum.

This is my 06 Ebony Studio, weight relieved, not chambered (built in May).

Nothing fancy, but she plays & sounds great.

Thanks for looking.

bluesdeluxe

Update,

I've been looking for an early 90's Studio for a while.

Finally found a 93 Wine Red with gold hardware (3rd photo).

It's in excellent condition for a 20 year old guitar.

All original & sounds sweet !

Still making a few minor adjustments to get it set up to my taste, but it's a keeper.

bluesdeluxe

post-53862-021225700 1361845715_thumb.jpg

post-53862-070872200 1361845747_thumb.jpg

post-53862-005760500 1362714012_thumb.jpg

Well, here's mine -- I bought it used a little over a month ago, 2007. Not sure if it's chambered or weight-relieved because I know they were doing both in '07 but it's a player regardless!

I've since updated the toggle switch and poker chip to brass, the knobs to gold, and the truss rod cover to a blank one but nevertheless...

image_zps10a168e3.jpeg

image4_zpse71e8eb1.jpeg

image1_zps875e024d.jpeg

image5_zps70141dd0.jpeg

image6_zps225815b6.jpeg

image3_zpse48f4057.jpeg

image7_zps175d285a.jpeg

Hello everyone!

I am interested about the body of my Gibson LP Studio 1995 (serial # 91425389) - i've heard that starting from somewhen in 2000 they begun to make kind of a hollow body for this guitars to reduce it's weight and price, is it true? Also on some forum i've read that they use worser quality of wood ( like they use material that is closer to the edges of the wood rather than to the middle that is for Custom guitars) in Studios and in others non-expensive guitars in their line ( for example faded models). Can you guys give me some info about that? Does my guitar have holls in it's body? Is made of worser wood than more expensive models?

Hello everyone!

I am interested about the body of my Gibson LP Studio 1995 (serial # 91425389) - i've heard that starting from somewhen in 2000 they begun to make kind of a hollow body for this guitars to reduce it's weight and price, is it true? Also on some forum i've read that they use worser quality of wood ( like they use material that is closer to the edges of the wood rather than to the middle that is for Custom guitars) in Studios and in others non-expensive guitars in their line ( for example faded models). Can you guys give me some info about that? Does my guitar have holls in it's body? Is made of worser wood than more expensive models?

Define quality of wood? Does it sound and play great if it does it shouldn't matter.

Weight-relief started around 1982/1983. Every Gibson USA Les Paul between 1982 - 2007 is weight-relieved. They do not have solid-body construction. Weight-relief is also known as "swiss cheese holes" and refers to the nine holes drilled out of the body in order to reduce the weight of the guitar.

Hello everyone!

I am interested about the body of my Gibson LP Studio 1995 (serial # 91425389) - i've heard that starting from somewhen in 2000 they begun to make kind of a hollow body for this guitars to reduce it's weight and price, is it true? Also on some forum i've read that they use worser quality of wood (like they use material that is closer to the edges of the wood rather than to the middle that is for Custom guitars) in Studios and in others non-expensive guitars in their line (for example faded models). Can you guys give me some info about that? Does my guitar have holes in it's body? Is made of worser wood than more expensive models?

The quality of wood is the same within the whole range of Gibson guitars. Standards, Traditionals have two-piece bodies, while the Studios are usually made from slabs that are glued together from leftover bits and pieces. It's the very same material - nothing wrong with it. You will never notice, unless looking at a natural-colored guitar's sides. That's where You would notice the lines where pieces are joined.

Any Gibson USA model after 1982 is swiss-cheesed. From 2007 they are chambered. From 2012 most are "wheel-spoke" relieved (modern weight-relieved) or chambered.

Cheers... Bence

• 3 weeks later...

The quality of wood is the same within the whole range of Gibson guitars. Standards, Traditionals have two-piece bodies, while the Studios are usually made from slabs that are glued together from leftover bits and pieces. It's the very same material - nothing wrong with it. You will never notice, unless looking at a natural-colored guitar's sides. That's where You would notice the lines where pieces are joined.

Any Gibson USA model after 1982 is swiss-cheesed. From 2007 they are chambered. From 2012 most are "wheel-spoke" relieved (modern weight-relieved) or chambered.

Cheers... Bence

Thank you for the info, that's exactly wat i was looking for. Now i am wondering about the new pick ups... which to chose and what's the best sollution for me. I play different styles of music but mostly it is either blues stuff or some heavy metal riffs. I was thinking about EMG 81 for the dridge but i haven't heard how it sounds in the real life on the LP Studio. As far as i know Zakk Wylde uses this puck up, and obviously, the EMG 81 should fit the heavy metal sound. As i play bluesy soloes, i'm looking for some neck pick up that has a deep and fat sound without going crazy on high gain. I don't have a possibility to change pick up freequently to choose the best one for me cause i simply can't afford it now.

If anyone could help with saying which bunch of pick ups is the best sollution for me that would be great. Thanks in advance.