Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a way to preserve the smell of nitro?

Alexmaiden

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been posted before or if it seems somewhat weird but I got myself a Gibson Les Paul Classic for Christmas and I'm in love with it. I'm really happy that Gibson seems to be making their best guitars ever since JC and Cesar took over. 

The thing is, all of you must be familiar with that wonderful vanilla-like scent that comes from the nitrocellulose finish, I know it's gonna wear off eventually and I was wondering if there is any way to preserve it or make the guitar smell like it again.

I know it must sound weird but it's my first Gibson, I've always wanted one and I really want to keep it feeling new.

I heard Gibson's pump polish is the best next thing to it, does it smell similar? 

I'll be thankful for any advice on this.

Nitro does not smell of vanilla..  Its a scent they spray in the cases sometimes....

I have worked with Nitro, its horrid chemical stuff and thats what it smells like.. Dry it smells like nothing..

I also hear they do that because the glue used in cases also doesnt smell that nice so it covers that up.

I did get that confirmed with Gibson too a few years back.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nitro does not smell of vanilla..  Its a scent they spray in the cases sometimes....

I have worked with Nitro, its horrid chemical stuff and thats what it smells like.. Dry it smells like nothing..

I also hear they do that because the glue used in cases also doesnt smell that nice so it covers that up.

I did get that confirmed with Gibson too a few years back.

Thanks for sharing. I always associated that typcial Play-Doh smell with a new Gibson guitar finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. Now I know that's not it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JustinJ said:

I also recently got into guitars and got myself a les Paul standard and it smells delicious! Any idea how long they smell? I’m hoping it’s years lol. 

If you put it back into its case, it'll smell longer. It's really the innards of the case that transfer the smell (use your nose).

• 5 months later...