Gibson Brands Forums

i have a project in school. could you guys help.

nikko18

I have a ten page essay I am working on about censorship of rock music during the 50s through 80s. I am currently in the research stage and I need to get info from many different sources and I was thinking I would ask you guys as primary sources (the people who where alive during those time anyways).

So how has censorship of music affected you guys over the years?

What do you know about music censorship?

And also what other stuff do you know that could help me?

Thanks

Nikko

See what you can find re: race music or race records. The 40's - 60's censorship applied by the white-owned major media against artists of color is a lot more compelling than the silliness about things like "I'm a midnight toker", etc. or the later out-and-out profanity "bans"

I remember well the growing intrusion of many fundamentalist churches from late in the 70's to mid 80's. Of coarse this isn't state sponsored censorship, but it is or rather was an attempt by many religious folk to enact censorship. It was comic relief at it's best to watch them turn records backwards and listen for backward masked messages from Satan. This was the era of backward masking. It might make the report interesting.

Hey when you finish either post it here or e mail me with it. I love that kind of reading. Also the lovely and talented Wicked 1 would probably check your grammar, she does have the gift of scholarly brilliance.

I remember well the growing intrusion of many fundamentalist churches from late in the 70's to mid 80's. Of coarse this isn't state sponsored censorship' date=' but it is or rather was an attempt by many religious folk to enact censorship. It was comic relief at it's best to watch them turn records backwards and listen for backward masked messages from Satan. This was the era of backward masking. It might make the report interesting.

Hey when you finish either post it here or e mail me with it. I love that kind of reading. Also the lovely and talented Wicked 1 would probably check your grammar, she does have the gift of scholarly brilliance. [/quote']

Yeah after my family moved from Chicago to Alabama I remember a church coming to our school to show us that rock groups were putting backward messages in the songs. Honestly, the only one I remember that was intentional was something by Black Oak Arkansas and I think it was a live song.

It really didn't make a difference to me. I never felt it was intruding on me as I was glad to get out of english class that day.

thanks for all the help guys. alot of the stuff you have mentioned i hadn't even thought of. this will definately be helpfull in my research.

oh and homz i will pm the paper to you (and anyone else interested), because i doubt many people would want a thread that starts with a 4000 word essay and then say "discuss". haha X]

The quality of the music was better then. The decrease in censorship correlates closely to the decrease in music quality. Of course that's not likely a cause and effect thing, but that's the way it worked out.

Strictly speaking, the censorship was minimal. The music industry was self censoring because profanity would limit their distribution. Censorship was typically only a television and radio formality, where people actually employed as censors existed.

Interestingly, it was OK to have television shows that made light of alcohol abuse, and were so violent that several people per half hour melodrama were depicted as dying violent deaths, but saying "hell" was strictly prohibited.

One of my favorite anecdotes on censorship comes from Carol Burnett, the comedian. They tried to do a nudist joke on her TV show but it kept getting censored. They finally came up with one that was allowed:

Q: How do nudists dance?

A: Cheek to cheek.

Check out the Eric Clapton album with the naked little girl holding the airplane.

Also look into Frank Zappa's Testimony and any interviews before congress regarding censorship.

Oooh, yeah. And Dee Snider, Twisted Sister. His fan-club testimony was hilarious.

The censorship was to make parents feel good since everybody knew both sets of lyrics and did not care anyway. One version might say "wearing those dresses -- the sun come shining through" and the other says "wearing those dresses, your hair drawn up so nice" so what difference does that make? Everybody was focused on getting some regardless of how-when-where and the songs did not have much to do with it. Cars, beer and drive in's worked better.

Archived