Gibson Brands Forums

Dave "Megadeth" Mustaine has his own Gibsons

Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

I really like Mustaine and the 1990s Megadeth albums.  I have never owned a Gibson "V" before because (for me) you can't sit and play it (most of the time I stand when I play, but not always).  But if I ever was on the fence to get a "V" this one would likely be it (see pic).  I don't know the contract details (obviously), but this seems like a very smart move by Gibson to infuse Mustaine-line guitars into Gibson/Epi/Kramer and the acoustics.

Mega1A-PG.jpg

One fin hooks onto your thigh/goes between your legs when you sit with a V. Actually, like in the pic above, only he's standing in it. 

I love the Marty/Nick era too. Inventive riffs, top-notch playing and great melodies. 

One thing that always without exception happens in any discussion of Metallica.....every single time.

Almost everyone discussing mentions that  "Lars is sh*t" - the drummer's crap - etc.   Even the biggest fans.

Now I'm not a Metallica (or Megadeth) fan but I had to work out some tracks of the black album for my pupils when I was teaching guitar. 

I always pointed out how good the intro to "Enter Sandman" is because of the way the drums work beneath each change in the riff, building and pushing the momentum forward.

Would they sound much better (or much different) with another drummer?  Why is Lars so universally reviled?  I honestly do not get it.

And....It's probably just me but....is Dave Mustaine beginning to resemble the late Spike Milligan?

[laugh]

Edited by jdgm

6 minutes ago, jdgm said:

One thing that always without exception happens in any discussion of Metallica.....every single time.

Almost everyone discussing mentions that  "Lars is sh*t" - the drummer's crap - etc.   Even the biggest fans.

Now I'm not a Metallica (or Megadeth) fan but I had to work out some tracks of the black album for my pupils when I was teaching guitar. 

I always pointed out how good the intro to "Enter Sandman" is because of the way the drums work beneath each change in the riff, building and pushing the momentum forward.

Would they sound much better (or much different) with another drummer?  Why is Lars so universally reviled?  I honestly do not get it.

And....It's probably just me but....is Dave Mustaine beginning to resemble the late Spike Milligan?

[laugh]

I'm sick to death of that song, but he's not reviled by me.  He's a... character. He is, according to most, and in the immortal words of Vyvvyan on Rick, "the classic example of an only child". 

I don't care about the Napster thing. He went about it all wrong, in a very entitled fashion (rich kid only child, remember?), but he did have a point. 

I've more issues with the fact that they used to be this great band that really sucks now. "Hardwired" is horribly bland. 

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I can say 2 words about Metallica and the guy who had a lot of say in Metallica’s direction- Lars:

Load

Reload

Metallic have all have loads up their rich a-sses. If you have any doubt how big a bunch of tools they are watch Some Kind Of Monster if you haven't. I was sick of them before I saw it and wished them nothing but pain and torment after seeing it.

And they have completely destroyed every cover of any song they have ever attempted.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Metallic have all have loads up their rich a-sses. If you have any doubt how big a bunch of tools they are watch Some Kind Of Monster if you haven't. I was sick of them before I saw it and wished them nothing but pain and torment after seeing it.

And they have completely destroyed every cover of any song they have ever attempted.

Metallica is a sellout story and by the time the SKOM vid came out I was done with those turds. Saw segments of it and it was depressing - for me that is. I spared myself the dignity of having to sit through that s***. 

For those wondering why Metallica comes up with Dave, I guess because he was an integral part of Metallica starting out - and Dave like him or not is a metal riff genius IMHO. He’s played with a lot of talented lead guitarists as well as having some pretty decent chops himself. I was under the impression that Metallica shat all over him for years (using his riffs and such) and now it’s Dave’s time. I don’t think of Dave as a sellout. He’s stayed pretty metal over the years aside from a few albums I don’t care for here and there. But Metallica turned into a bunch of vag’s over the years. Glad Jason left them and sad Cliff died years ago. anyhow it isn’t just about Lars and Napster or anything of the sort... no it’s much worse than that... Before Load I was into the band, but once that thing came out and we played it not knowing what was going to happen, I felt something shrivel up inside me. My friends and I were some metal heads and we got high AF listening to Load back then, and we were just like W.T.F... It was all over for me after that. The black album all of a sudden started to sound s***tier and yeah, there’s my gripe. It’s legit. It was like telling the courtroom where you got touched with a f’n doll. Rant over haha!

Edited by NighthawkChris

9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Metallica is a sellout story and by the time the SKOM vid came out I was done with those turds. Saw segments of it and it was depressing - for me that is. I spared myself the dignity of having to sit through that s***. 

For those wondering why Metallica comes up with Dave, I guess because he was an integral part of Metallica starting out - and Dave like him or not is a metal riff genius IMHO. He’s played with a lot of talented lead guitarists as well as having some pretty decent chops himself. I was under the impression that Metallica shat all over him for years (using his riffs and such) and now it’s Dave’s time. I don’t think of Dave as a sellout. He’s stayed pretty metal over the years aside from a few albums I don’t care for here and there. But Metallica turned into a bunch of vag’s over the years. Glad Jason left them and sad Cliff died years ago. anyhow it isn’t just about Lars and Napster or anything of the sort... no it’s much worse than that... Before Load I was into the band, but once that thing came out and we played it not knowing what was going to happen, I felt something shrivel up inside me. My friends and I were some metal heads and we got high AF listening to Load back then, and we were just like W.T.F... It was all over for me after that. The black album all of a sudden started to sound s***tier and yeah, there’s my gripe. It’s legit. It was like telling the courtroom where you got touched with a f’n doll. Rant over haha!

Lars likes to touch little boys where they poo. 

Did we really need and album cover with a bloody jizz load on it. Zappa has I am sure in many peoples opinions done some tasteless s-hit, but load reached a new low.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I like Jason. I watched this great lengthy interview on why he left Metallica the other day, and he showed a lot of integrity. 

He's a great bass player, always gave 110% live, and he should have been treated a lot better throughout his entire tenure with the band. I'm sure he was pissed seeing Trujillo not only get accepted with open arms from day one, but get a million dollars - and most likely, some nachos - that same day one. 

4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

sadly, my 3 favourite members of Metallica are Dave, Cliff and Jason.  [sad]

The first 3 albums were cool, and I actually didn't mind Load as something different ...it didn't need to be done twice though.

Or even once. Those guy think they are some big important rock band and maybe back in the day they were, but now they are just cartoon characters of themselves. 

6 hours ago, jdgm said:

...  Why is Lars so universally reviled?  I honestly do not get it ... 

Funny, I have thought the same thing.  I think it is a 'group think" thing to some extent.  I have seen interviews with Mike Portnoy who would be very critical of his drumming skills.  Maybe there have been other pro drummers that have slammed him too that have created this public mindset?

4 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Funny, I have thought the same thing.  I think it is a 'group think" thing to some extent.  I have seen interviews with Mike Portnoy who would be very critical of his drumming skills.  Maybe there have been other pro drummers that have slammed him too that have created this public mindset?

F-ukin drummers. No disrespect to real drummers.

Again if it isn’t clear why people like me who were big Metallica fans once upon a time, this guy was very influential in taking the band to a sellout phase and he started to move the band away from the reasons why again guys like me like metal music. He sold out, went mainstream with garbage bag songs that have no semblance to their roots and brand it Metallica. I get it bands evolve but they became a trendy, turd licking band which is the antithesis of what metal fans want. Lars had a lot to do with the business of the band and got greedy showing his fans what they were really all about. Maybe a lot of bands are like this - I’m sure of it - but it sucked when it came out in plain sight that Metallica wasn’t that metal band anymore that made me like listening to music that got me pissed off and wanting to revolt against everything mainstream. If you don’t understand the metal culture you won’t understand why Lars is reviled then. Not saying I wish anyone death here but as far as supporting Metallica, then days be done and over with decades ago. 

And to add, the Napster ordeal was just another symptom of proof how flipping greedy these guys were. Fans don’t care about how much you make. We care about what you give us. Being he was a main figure in opposition to peer to peer sharing of music, he can suck a butt for that and how he influenced the direction of the band once they were world famous. Not being fanatic here nor have I lost sleep over it, but I call it out... Metallica sucks, I found better bands thereafter. If there’s a discussion about Metallica like this that goes on, I’ll join in and give my input. I love heavy metal and just don’t consider this band one I enjoy listening to no matter how popular they made metal back in the day. It all ended up here. In a marital divorce, you don’t stay together because of the good days. If you cheated let’s say, all that good washed away when you did another woman. Haha somewhat analogous. Like I said it hurt to see those Load albums and St Anger... 

5 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Again if it isn’t clear why people like me who were big Metallica fans once upon a time, this guy was very influential in taking the band to a sellout phase and he started to move the band away from the reasons why again guys like me like metal music. He sold out, went mainstream with garbage bag songs that have no semblance to their roots and brand it Metallica. I get it bands evolve but they became a trendy, turd licking band which is the antithesis of what metal fans want.

Ok I'm beginning to get it.....metal fans to a large extent made Metallica and now they feel betrayed.  Is that accurate?

I remember either he or Hetfield once said Metallica would never make a promo video. ....oops.   That was a long time ago. 

Unfortunately if you want a long career as a big name group you can't do it without the money machine.

Edited by jdgm

"We will never...EVER...make a video".  Lars said that.  He used to be the only one who could talk to the press, long time ago.  He went ahead of the band to every city on the tour and did the radio stuff and print interviews, things like that.

"I'm worth 45 million dollars.  I care what a 45 thousand dollar a year critic says?"  Another Lars gem.  lolz

rct

1 minute ago, rct said:

"We will never...EVER...make a video".  Lars said that.  He used to be the only one who could talk to the press, long time ago.  He went ahead of the band to every city on the tour and did the radio stuff and print interviews, things like that.

"I'm worth 45 million dollars.  I care what a 45 thousand dollar a year critic says?"  Another Lars gem.  lolz

rct

Didn't Lars also say he would never put anything uncomfortable in his anus to sell records. Yep he did that too.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Ok I'm beginning to get it.....metal fans to a large extent made Metallica and now they feel betrayed.  Is that accurate?

I remember either he or Hetfield once said Metallica would never make a promo video. ....oops.   That was a long time ago. 

Unfortunately if you want a long career as a big name group you can't do it without the money machine.

I don't consider myself a Metal fan, just a music fan and when a band no longer makes the music I like I don't buy their stuff anymore. 'Tallica did it with Metallica aka The Black Album. 

17 minutes ago, rct said:

rct

Lars isn't worth a squirt of p-iss.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, jdgm said:

One thing that always without exception happens in any discussion of Metallica.....every single time.... Almost everyone discussing mentions that  "Lars is sh*t" - the drummer's crap - etc.   Even the biggest fans....Why is Lars so universally reviled?  I honestly do not get it.

No, I'd suggest Lars' drumming is maybe his strongest attribute. [wink]

I guess lots of bands have that '3 album peak' where they can do no wrong - Powerage to Back in Black - Beggars Banquet to Sticky Fingers - .... Metallica just did it with their first 3 albums and it was then a pretty steady path they trod through to St Anger, Lulu and such.