Gibson Brands Forums

Dave "Megadeth" Mustaine has his own Gibsons

Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Jackson.

Michael?

I was close.

In November 2019, Mustaine sold off much of his gear, including several Dean prototype signature models that he had used over the years. Two months ago, he confirmed that he was going separate ways with Dean after spending 13 years with the company
Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, low iron in the blood.

Cardinal symptom: not remembering pointy guitar endorsement details 😉

OT, not super psyched about the models. More copies of his Jackson, like when he was with ESP and Dean. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just not my thing. And that green guitar... I don't know...  But that's just me. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Cardinal symptom: not remembering pointy guitar endorsement details 😉

OT, not super psyched about the models. More copies of his Jackson, like when he was with ESP and Dean. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just not my thing. And that green guitar... I don't know...  But that's just me. 

I don't do electrics anymore and none of my acoustics will ever have a cutaway or a pup.

Maybe a V more like a regular V but with a slimmer neck? 

And the signature on the TRC is nice for Dave - if he ever forgets his name, he need just look at his guitar - but will others want it? 

But good for him. Great player who redefined metal guitar. 

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

Maybe a V more like a regular V but with a slimmer neck? 

And the signature on the TRC is nice for Dave - if he ever forgets his name, he need just look at his guitar - but will others want it? 

But good for him. Great player who redefined metal guitar. 

I'd rather listen to Megadeth than 'Tallica any day of the week.

Megadeth is awesome I don’t even think about comparing to Metallica. Although Megadeth isn’t that great live - Dave’s vocals are sort of cringe when in the flesh. I’ve gotten used to them on albums though and have no issues really there. Metallica does a better show but again they have f’n Lars in the band whom I absolutely think is overrated AF. 

I dig the new Vs and personally like the green V. I think there’s a Kramer one too that wasn’t in the video and I like that one better than the Gibsons. I miss my old Focus... 

24 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Megadeth is awesome I don’t even think about comparing to Metallica. Although Megadeth isn’t that great live - Dave’s vocals are sort of cringe when in the flesh. I’ve gotten used to them on albums though and have no issues really there. Metallica does a better show but again they have f’n Lars in the band whom I absolutely think is overrated AF. 

I dig the new Vs and personally like the green V. I think there’s a Kramer one too that wasn’t in the video and I like that one better than the Gibsons. I miss my old Focus... 

I kinda dug the Kramer too. The natural finish one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I disagree. I’ve seen Metallica and I’ve seen Megadeth.  I thought the show Megadeth put on was much better. 
And I’ll take Dave’s vocals over James’ vocals any day. 
And every drummer that MD has had has been better than Lars. 

42 minutes ago, brad1 said:

I disagree. I’ve seen Metallica and I’ve seen Megadeth.  I thought the show Megadeth put on was much better. 
And I’ll take Dave’s vocals over James’ vocals any day. 
And every drummer that MD has had has been better than Lars. 

I hate d-ouche Lars but he is monster on the double bass drum.

• Like 1

@brad1, that’s cool man your ears aren’t mine. I just have this awful memory of Dave doing the most tone deaf outro of Peace Sells last time I saw them live in Detroit and each time I listen to that song I laugh haha! All that aside, MD f’n blows Metallica out the water. Their riffs are levels above Metallica. I love MD. Maybe not the most hardcore fan, but I have quite a bit of their albums going way back. Put it this way, I can listen to MD all day whereas Metallica I can’t listen to anymore. MD can get my blood flowing whereas Metallica... meh... And Peace Sells is a great song on a great album. The conjuring is one of my faves with my last words. A half hour of pure metal. Loved hearing wake up dead live too. F’n love that song! Yeah MD is a great band and F Metallica for being sellouts. They can take their load and shove it up their (Lars’) a$$. I wouldn’t even Napster that s*** back in the day haha!

Edited by NighthawkChris

I really like Mustaine and the 1990s Megadeth albums.  I have never owned a Gibson "V" before because (for me) you can't sit and play it (most of the time I stand when I play, but not always).  But if I ever was on the fence to get a "V" this one would likely be it (see pic).  I don't know the contract details (obviously), but this seems like a very smart move by Gibson to infuse Mustaine-line guitars into Gibson/Epi/Kramer and the acoustics.

Mega1A-PG.jpg