Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird

MorrisrownSal

Have any of you guys tried or purchased one of these?

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIHTQ351/Hummingbird/Aged-Cherry-Sunburst-Gloss

If so, curious as to your thoughts. I have seen two or three youtube demos... It seems to sound nice... but less "crisp" than the real thing. I am just curious if those who have bought it or tried it like it nonetheless.

Edited by Salfromchatham

We had a general Epi/Gibs A/B thread up last November - did get a bit around.

And here our Music Villa pals present a one to one test. 

I actually like it a lot and would consider it in another situation than the currant. Also though the (cool) headstock seems odd in connection with the clazzic birdy look.                                                               Guess it's one of those guitars you fall instantly in lOVE with if it's passed your way round the campfire, , , and the action is right. . 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

Haven’t played one, Sal, but the Indonesian factory Gibson’s been using to build acoustic Epiphones is capable of building a very nice guitar.  Their inexpensive solid-top Pro series Hummingbird, Dove, & EL-00 represents a commendable value, with impressive price-point build quality.  This guitar should be more of the same - but crancked up a notch.

• Like 1

Thank guys.  I dont remember that thread.

Well, I sold my PA, a Tele, and an amp.  Just bought one from Russo's unseen - we'll see. I know it wont be a Montana Bird, and it isnt nitro finish. But perhaps the thinner poly finish isnt bad. The sales guy at Russo's speaks highly.  I have made worse guitar mistakes than an $800 one. We'll see!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Thank guys.  I dont remember that thread.

Well, I sold my PA, a Tele, and an amp.  Just bought one from Russo's unseen - we'll see. I know it wont be a Montana Bird, and it isnt nitro finish. But perhaps the thinner poly finish isnt bad. The sales guy at Russo's speaks highly.  I have made worse guitar mistakes than an $800 one. We'll see!

Be sure to give us a review of it when you receive it.   How it stands on its own as a guitar, etc.  Similar to what Bobouz mentioned,  I’ve been impressed with Epiphone’s Indonesia factory’s guitars.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Just bought one from Russo's unseen - we'll see. 

Ooohhh, , , thrilling. . 

32 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

Be sure to give us a review of it when you receive it.  

Heard ^ and Sal has experience enough with Birds to set the comparative perspective.

• Like 1

Whether your new Epiphone Masterbilt Hummingbird satisfies is up to you, Sal, but if my past experience is any indication, I don't think you will find a Masterbilt not well made. I have several of the earliest incarnations, from 2004-2006, and they display excellent workmanship, are made with very good materials, sound and play great, and were a tremendous value (the early ones all included a terrific light weight case). If your bird is anything like those, I think you will be pleased. Maybe even happily surprised! I thought the guitar in the demo Em7 posted sounded pretty good. Warmer than the Gibson bird, but that could just be strings or even mic position. Anyway, let us know what you think once you've had some time with it. 

Red 333

On 3/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, E-minor7 said:

We had a general Epi/Gibs A/B thread up last November - did get a bit around.

And here our Music Villa pals present a one to one test. 

I actually like it a lot and would consider it in another situation than the currant. Also though the (cool) headstock seems odd in connection with the clazzic birdy look.                                                               Guess it's one of those guitars you fall instantly in lOVE with if it's passed your way round the campfire, , , and the action is right. . 

I had high hopes for these Inspired By Gibson... Epiphone Hummingbird guitars, and have been considering one when they are available. I would use it to take some wear and tear off my Gibson Hummingbird which I use heavily. But based on all the pictures and reviews I have seen, as well as photos from Sweetwater and others, including the picture above and below ....I notice that the Hummingbird pick guard is particularly off, dull looking, washed out, dim, and just plain uncomplementary to an iconic guitar even if it is under the Epiphone name plate. It just does not look right to me. Not for the $800 price tag. In fairness,  I realize that Gibson must make some cuts on this Epi bird to produce it at such a good price, but the place to cut costs is NOT the HUMMINGBIRD pickguard for which the guitar is NAMED. I am also not a fan of the dull top finish whether its nitro or poly, the sides and back...ok...but I don't want  the top being non gloss, along with a lack luster bird pick guard. Just takes all its appeal away for me. For $800 I can replace the frets on my Gibson Hummingbird and be good to go, so no sale for me unless these two things change. Otherwise it could be magnificent, and I would grab it in a minute. I'll likely pass this one by.

Screenshot 2021-03-24 191956.jpg

Edited by ALD323
corrections

5 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

Jeez nothings changed has it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ren left Bozeman, building his own guitars now.    New Gibson CEO - from Levi Straus blue jeans, etc.      20 more variations on the J45.        Other than that - nope.         Like "Groundhog Day" the movie.  

4 hours ago, ALD323 said:

I had high hopes for these Inspired By Gibson... Epiphone Hummingbird guitars, and have been considering one when they are available. I would use it to take some wear and tear off my Gibson Hummingbird which I use heavily. But based on all the pictures and reviews I have seen, as well as photos from Sweetwater and others, including the picture above and below ....I notice that the Hummingbird pick guard is particularly off, dull looking, washed out, dim, and just plain uncomplementary to an iconic guitar even if it is under the Epiphone name plate. It just does not look right to me. Not for the $800 price tag. In fairness,  I realize that Gibson must make some cuts on this Epi bird to produce it at such a good price, but the place to cut costs is NOT the HUMMINGBIRD pickguard for which the guitar is NAMED. I am also not a fan of the dull top finish whether its nitro or poly, the sides and back...ok...but I don't want  the top being non gloss, along with a lack luster bird pick guard. Just takes all its appeal away for me. For $800 I can replace the frets on my Gibson Hummingbird and be good to go, so no sale for me unless these two things change. Otherwise it could be magnificent, and I would grab it in a minute. I'll likely pass this one by.

308752C.jpg

Understand and kind of agree. The flora/fauna is a vague echo of the original and if it wasn't embedded I would probably erase it. 

If you have the real thing it would be a shame not to play it better by picking the copy. The copy however will serve you well at garden parties.                                                                                                                                             Maybe a Frontier is the choice for you. .  

Epiphone Masterbilt Frontier ITA

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

308752C.jpg

Understand and kind of agree. The flora/fauna is a vague echo of the original and if it wasn't embedded I would probably erase it. 

If you have the real thing it would be a shame not to play it better by picking the copy. The copy however will serve you well at garden parties.                                                                                                                                             Maybe a Frontier is the choice for you. .  

Epiphone Masterbilt Frontier ITA

Thanks EM...now If I could find a copy of an Epi bird that looks like this one you posted, I would be inclined buy it. Nice even burst color, reasonable pickguard, no run out on top, and a beautiful bridge grain. Ch-ching..I would buy it! The frontier is not for me I prefer the bird.

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

Quick and dirty?

Sounds great!  

To me, these recent Indonesian-made Epiphones are the result of the long  and winding journey that Gibson started in 1970...to at last be building a really decent acoustic guitar overseas at a great price, that stands on their own, in their own right, as great playing, sounding, and responsive  guitars with a good vibe.and a cool Gibson feel/influence...that an experienced player can be proud of and enjoy playing.  These things have come a longggg way!

Thanks for sharing your demo.  It speaks for itself in my book.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Sounds good and absolutely sings from the some bird's garden. A bit mellower than the real thing which isn't bad at all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          A seraf seems to chime in now and again - I would see that as a sign. 

• Like 1