Gibson Brands Forums

Humbuckers

Buzz Stringer

15 minutes ago, Buzz Stringer said:

I have two humbuckers that I bought in the 70's (at the time I had a Melody Maker and I put the humbuckers on it)

but, they have no markings, labels or stamps of any kind.  How can I prove what they are?

Who do you think made them?

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Do you know what they are (since you are the one who bought them) but need to prove it to someone else?  A sales receipt would help.   

holding onto to a receipt since the 70's ?  that would be impressive, lol. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Are you trying to sell the guitar to someone who can't try it out in person?  Other than that, I can't see how it matters.   You either like how they sound or you don't.   And one man's trash is another man's treasure.  

They are not in a guitar at the moment and I have been told they are worth as much as three or four hundred each!  I don't know how true that is, but, if they are I would like to put the money toward a new guitar.  

6 hours ago, rct said:

You'd have to take them apart.  Some folks can tell them apart by the start and stop posts and the way the plates are attached and other mysterious pickup winding minutiae.

rct

Yeah, I was thinking of going to a shop and get them to take them apart to see what's inside.

Before you take them apart, perhaps read some more on humbuckers.  Measuring their output would be a very good idea, too.

I just googled humbucker pickup identification - this is instant, without trying to dig or do a deep search.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/trying-to-identify-gibson-pickups.126251/

They could be "T-tops" or "tarbacks" (I don't know how to tell) or one of many different Gibson humbucker designs, but if you remember what year roughly you got them, that will also help to narrow it down.

To be worth lots of money they would probably have to be vintage PAFs and from what you've said they have no labels with "PAF" on, so....unlikely. 

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

Before you take them apart, perhaps read some more on humbuckers.  Measuring their output would be a very good idea, too.

I just googled humbucker pickup identification - this is instant, without trying to dig or do a deep search.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/trying-to-identify-gibson-pickups.126251/

They could be "T-tops" or "tarbacks" (I don't know how to tell) or one of many different Gibson humbucker designs, but if you remember what year roughly you got them, that will also help to narrow it down.

To be worth lots of money they would probably have to be vintage PAFs and from what you've said they have no labels with "PAF" on, so....unlikely. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm gonna take them to my local guitar shop and have them checked out.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:58 PM, Karloff said:

holding onto to a receipt since the 70's ?  that would be impressive, lol. 

Yeah, I can't even remember what guitars I had in the 60's. Well, just one of them out of about 13. I also got rid of all the receipts for the race car I had back in the 70's and couldn't prove that my best friend stole it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Yeah, I can't even remember what guitars I had in the 60's. Well, just one of them out of about 13. I also got rid of all the receipts for the race car I had back in the 70's and couldn't prove that my best friend stole it. 

best friends ... mine stole my wife, lol.  I later thanked him lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Karloff said:

best friends ... mine stole my wife, lol.  I later thanked him lol. 

Too funny. Yeah, a guy from work kept telling he was doing it but Allen was also the best man at Deb & My wedding, and he denied it so who was I to believe? Wasn't until we came back from our honeymoon  I found out. That ended our friendship. Sounds like you rated better than me Lol.