Gibson Brands Forums

Why Is An Acoustic Guitar So Expensive

Sgt. Pepper

Yep.  Having also seen every season at Glakes - spending lost weekends in Chicago and Milwaukee -  I knew I'd never, ever want to go back.  I almost bombed BE&E: Got to have a few meetings with Office of Naval Intelligence  (before they split off NCIS).  Graduated to RM-A school in Bainbridge, where I was an average student because I couldn't transcribe morse code because I didn't know how to touch type.  But - turned out you didn't ever actually use that skill once on a boat.  Hoist one for me, Senior Chief.  I'll do the same in 8 minutes. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  Having also seen every season at Glakes - spending lost weekends in Chicago and Milwaukee -  I knew I'd never, ever want to go back.  I almost bombed BE&E: Got to have a few meetings with Office of Naval Intelligence  (before they split off NCIS).  Graduated to RM-A school in Bainbridge, where I was an average student because I couldn't transcribe morse code because I didn't know how to touch type.  But - turned out you didn't ever actually use that skill once on a boat.  Hoist one for me, Senior Chief.  I'll do the same in 8 minutes. 

We went to Chi-town all the time on the train and I went to Milwaukee a few times.  I went back several years ago. As a contractor, I went there to do a job. Other than the HQ building that I did colors at, as my duty, I did not recognize the place and outside the front gate has totally changed.

My dad was an RM. He was on the USS Intrepid and stationed in Tripoli at a Comm Sta.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

There's no actual difference between a $200 acoustic and a $2000 one. That's one of my core beliefs. 

Core belief? Hmmmm.... That’s like saying there’s  no difference between a Yugo & a Lexus.....

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

There's no actual difference between a $200 acoustic and a $2000 one. That's one of my core beliefs. 

With respect Pinch, I disagree. 

There are any number of differences in the quality of labour and materials used to produce $200.00, and $2,000.00 guitars. However, I don't believe that the prices charged for the more expensive guitars can always be justified, which is to say that they are often in my opinion over-priced to some extent.

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Yes there is. It's $1800 dollars.

I'll put any of my Martins up against a $200 guitar for you to hear the difference. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

But really,  you could be talking the same guitar.  But one is 35 years earlier than the other.  [wink]

Whitefang

I didn't think about a Martin or Gibson made back when they cost that much. I guess we need to say a brand new guitar made today, and compare a $200 one against a $2000 one.

Only 2 of my 7 acoustic were bought new, so what I bought most them for and what they actually sold for is a bit less. And my 12 string even though was "New" when I got in 2018 or so was New Old Stock and is a 2001 that sat is the store that long. It needed major hydration to get it sorted out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ah, just let me have my fun!  :rolleyes:   But I have no idea where to find a $200 acoustic guitar these days.  But I don't spend all day every day browsing through Guitar Center.  And there's no more SERVICE MERCHANDISE stores around anymore. And FINGERHUT doesn't have any showrooms either.  PAWNSHOPS would have several, but of course, they'd be far from new.

Whitefaang

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Ah, just let me have my fun!  :rolleyes:   But I have no idea where to find a $200 acoustic guitar these days.  But I don't spend all day every day browsing through Guitar Center.  And there's no more SERVICE MERCHANDISE stores around anymore. And FINGERHUT doesn't have any showrooms either.  PAWNSHOPS would have several, but of course, they'd be far from new.

Whitefaang

Ask and you shall receive. With one cent to spare.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/FG800-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-1500000001823.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8NLJ26uS8QIVliqzAB2-SwDTEAQYAyABEgJ2APD_BwE

I'm willing to bet that say, James Taylor can make a $400.00 acoustic sound as good as a $4,000.00 acoustic. Or any great guitarist.  I heard David Gilmore play a cheap acoustic on a video and he was bending those strings and vibrating them making it sound as good as any guitar.  I think it's all in the hands.  Give a $10,000.00 guitar to a beginner and it probably will still sound like crap. 

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I didn't think about a Martin or Gibson made back when they cost that much. I guess we need to say a brand new guitar made today, and compare a $200 one against a $2000 one.

Only 2 of my 7 acoustic were bought new, so what I bought most them for and what they actually sold for is a bit less. And my 12 string even though was "New" when I got in 2018 or so was New Old Stock and is a 2001 that sat is the store that long. It needed major hydration to get it sorted out.

I’m having a tough time remembering when you could buy a new USA built Gibson Acoustic Guitar for $200.00... The ‘30’s maybe??

Just the difference between Hyde Glue & Super Glue (or whatever it is) makes huge difference.. If an Acoustic should someday need a significant repair Hyde glue can be heated & the Guitar can be taken apart as necessary.. The same Hyde glue can even be reused to complete assembly of the Guitar after the repair. Super glue... you might as well throw it away... True, Hyde glue is more expensive but well worth it if you plan to keep that great Guitar for the next 50 years or more...

That’s only one of at least a hundred major differences.. In addition to the quality of Materials.. 

4 hours ago, Retired said:

I'm willing to bet that say, James Taylor can make a $400.00 acoustic sound as good as a $4,000.00 acoustic. Or any great guitarist.  I heard David Gilmore play a cheap acoustic on a video and he was bending those strings and vibrating them making it sound as good as any guitar.  I think it's all in the hands.  Give a $10,000.00 guitar to a beginner and it probably will still sound like crap. 

Ok, but the guitar is now a moving target. The player is the constant. Get Taylor to play a $400 guitar and then a $4,000 one to hear the difference. 

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Ok, but the guitar is now a moving target. The player is the constant. Get Taylor to play a $400 guitar and then a $4,000 one to hear the difference. 

Right.. James Taylor can make a $4000.00 Guitar sound like a $40,000.00 Guitar...