Gibson Brands Forums

Why Is An Acoustic Guitar So Expensive

Sgt. Pepper

• Sgt. Pepper changed the title to Why Is An Acoustic Guitar So Expensive
23 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I just saw a 'Retail Price' for a Tom Petty SJ-200.....$10K..... I might pay that for a Master Museum guitar....but NOT a Tom Petty.

The fugly pickguard has to add at least an extra $500. I know its based on one The Man In Black had one of his, its still atrocious.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Bourgeois RS - 42 acoustic, used price:  $20,000.00.      Bourgeois Custom Odyssey,  $16,798.50.   I hear they make excellant acoustic guitars.  I will never own one.  Although you can get them much cheaper than this. 

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

You can get a very playable entry level Yamaha acoustic (not acoustic-electric) for around $160.   Or how about an Ibanez parlor guitar starting at around $150.  Go with a used acoustic by either company and you might get that down to maybe $100-120.    

Here is the US you can get 5 cents for returning cans and bottles for recycling.    

5 cans = a quarter 

20 cans = a dollar 

2000-2500 empty soda cans = a used Yamaha acoustic guitar 

Ah, but WHERE in the states?  [wink]   Here in Michigan, it's 10 cents a can/bottle.  So, cut that "cans  needed" in half.  [cool]

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Bourgeois RS - 42 acoustic, used price:  $20,000.00.      Bourgeois Custom Odyssey,  $16,798.50.   I hear they make excellant acoustic guitars.  I will never own one.  Although you can get them much cheaper than this. 

Cripes, I would hope so.  [blink]

Whitefang

In NJ it's about 55 cents a POUND.  Half an ounce or so of aluminum in a soda can, so you can hopefully do the maff and see that there is no good living in collecting recycling.

rct

14 hours ago, Retired said:

I played one Bourgeois (can't remember the model) when I was in Nashville in Carter's. It as a sweet axe. It was not 20k or it would not be of the floor for most of the Stairway guys to bash on. The best guitar I ever had in my hand was made by Preston Thompson and it was in the same store on the same day. That one was 5 or 6k. I'd have to sell at least 2 of mine to have the cash. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I played one Bourgeois (can't remember the model) when I was in Nashville in Carter's. It as a sweet axe. It was not 20k or it would not be of the floor for most of the Stairway guys to bash on. The best guitar I ever had in my hand was made by Preston Thompson and it was in the same store on the same day. That one was 5 or 6k. I'd have to sell at least 2 of mine to have the cash. 

Wow, that must have been a great store. I have never seen one other than on the net.  I could sell a few electric guitars for 2 really nice acoustical ones.  Just haven't made my mind up there yet. 

15 hours ago, Retired said:

Wow, that must have been a great store. I have never seen one other than on the net.  I could sell a few electric guitars for 2 really nice acoustical ones.  Just haven't made my mind up there yet. 

If you ever get to Nashville you must go to Carter’s and Gruhn’s your jaw will drop. In both stores I ran into Tommy Shaw and Derek St. Holmes. Here is me and Tommy in Gruhn's. He talked to me any my buddy for about a half hour. He was a cool cat. I'm the taller one.

ihJRIXn.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

One of the best sounding Acoustics I’ve ever played was a Collings.. If I recall it was a little less expensive than a Martin D-45 which sounds amazing as well...

I think there was a Collings in Carter's. I know I played one somewhere. Yep, a Collings is super nice too.  Once you get to the D-45 and pay that much it better sound amazing. There is a reason CSN&Y all went out and got them. 

Martins always were more expensive comparitivley.  I first laid eyes and hands on a Martin at Grinnell Bros. in '67.  A D-28 and a D-35.  Both had price tags on 'em at $500.  The Gibson Hummingbird they had was priced at $400. and a couple of Guilds at $350.  

To me, their sounds were pretty much identical.  Too close to call, I'd say.  But, the big difference for me in these matters is playability.  Comfort in holding and overall feel.  And THAT'S where Martin had the slight edge IMHO.    And of course, you'll notice I did point out that it too, is a matter of opinion.  I feel more at ease with a Martin D-28 than with say, a Gibson Dove.  And also, as good as they do sound, I found TAKAMINES  very uncomfortable to play due to their bulk and they way their necks are designed.  Others find them just wonderful.   On the other hand.....

For years I used to lament about how I wished I had a better acoustic than my '72 Epiphone FT-145.  Since they retailed at only $159  I figured a more expensive acoustic would sound better.  But over time, several guys I knew who HAD more expensive acoustics kept telling me they were surprised at how good they thought the sound of that Epi  was .  So the only thing left for me to do in order to improve it's sound was to replace( and sadly, it took 30 years until got around to it) the plastic bridge saddle with one of bone, and too, replace the plastic bride pins with ebony.  So far, I'm still happy with it, so I'll just keep picking away at it.  I might still get to buying a Martin, a long time covet, but mostly to be able to say I own one.  [wink] I have and see no reason to own more guitars than I have a serious need for.

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you ever get to Nashville you must go to Carter’s and Gruhn’s your jaw will drop. In both stores I ran into Tommy Shaw and Derek St. Holmes.

Thanks Sgt. We will have to do that.  I've been through Tennessee 2 or 3 times.  But not for a long time now, I think we saw Elvis's place decades ago.  

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

Thanks Sgt. We will have to do that.  I've been through Tennessee 2 or 3 times.  But not for a long time now, I think we saw Elvis's place decades ago.  

I went to Graceland when I was in Memphis in 2008 or 9. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you ever get to Nashville you must go to Carter’s and Gruhn’s your jaw will drop. In both stores I ran into Tommy Shaw and Derek St. Holmes. Here is me and Tommy in Gruhn's. He talked to me any my buddy for about a half hour. He was a cool cat. I'm the taller one.

ihJRIXn.jpg

Well I must say, You look pretty good there Sgt.  Wish I could post photos, Maybe I need to get with my son and get it all figured out this year? I have photos downloaded in Imgur but just can't get in to see them? It only lets me see one photo ever, my 12 string. 

One thing though Sgt. Since you lived there for a bit, Where in the world did they hide the Smokey Mountains LOL?  I have been through them 3 times and still can't find them,  Even on a tour, the driver said we are going through the SM's and I still couldn't see them. The Bluffs in Council Bluffs are way higher than what they call Smokey Mountains, Lol.  Those are just hills, not Mountains!

16 hours ago, Retired said:

One thing though Sgt. Since you lived there for a bit, Where in the world did they hide the Smokey Mountains LOL?  I have been through them 3 times and still can't find them,  Even on a tour, the driver said we are going through the SM's and I still couldn't see them. The Bluffs in Council Bluffs are way higher than what they call Smokey Mountains, Lol.  Those are just hills, not Mountains!

I never lived in Tennessee. I currently live in Virginia. I was born in NJ. My parents and I moved to Cali when I was one. Lived in Cali till I was 21 when I joined the Navy. I did a year in Great Lakes, Ill.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:03 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm the taller one.

ihJRIXn.jpg

Reminds me an old photo I saw at my friend's memorial service.   Was a photo of my friend's father standing next to an Orangutan... on the back of the photo it said, "Here I am Malaysia next to a monkey...(I'm on the right)"

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never lived in Tennessee. I currently live in Virginia. I was born in NJ. My parents and I moved to Cali when I was one. Lived in Cali till I was 21 when I joined the Navy. I did a year in Great Lakes, Ill.

Oh, sorry then for getting it wrong.  I was born in Sioux City Iowa & my parents moved to CB when I was 2. I lived there till I married and moved to Nebraska. 

On 6/7/2021 at 5:47 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,   A year in GLakes??   Either you were held back 2x at RTC boot camp - our you went to Basic Electricity & Engineering School.  Or ... ?

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Chief,   A year in GLakes??   Either you were held back 2x at RTC boot camp - our you went to Basic Electricity & Engineering School.  Or ... ?

I went to boot in San Diego and then had BEE school there as well I was originally going to be an ET, but drinking and my small brain caused me to fail out. I got re-classified to EM"A" School and flew threw it with flying colors. So I went through half of ET"A" School and all of EM"A" School. I was there 3 weeks short of a year and saw one of every miserable season off Lake Michigan.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper