Gibson Brands Forums

Brand New Les Paul Modern — Is this right?

Archer911

5 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

If all it is is the nut,

Can't you get them to give you free warranty repair at a dealer

Then it's a "repaired" guitar and you've let them get away with misrepresenting a product.  On top of that why should I spend time finding and going back and forth to a repair shop?

I can find 10 things bad on every new car on the lot, 

Dealers fix build and transportation problems all the time (under warranty) and sell you the car as new.

So yeah it it's just a quick warranty fix, and nothing else, I'd get a dealer to fix it for free , 

Than to ship a entire guitar back to Gibson just to show them who's boss.

Who knows what you'll get next

Edited by Eracer_Team

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Who knows what you'll get next

Could end up with a guitar where the tone just isn't as good. 

I saw a video on Youtube where they A/B'd two 2021 60s Standards. One definitely sounded better than the other. Not saying it's a crap shoot, but guitars differ. 

Edited by Pinch

On 11/22/2021 at 12:26 AM, Archer911 said:

Well, this is my first post on the forum and it's to get the opinion of you all about this particular guitar and model.

Last week I ordered and received a new LP Modern directly from the Gibson web site. My thinking in buying directly from Gibson was that the guitar would be as close to "perfect" as possible.

It arrived in a couple of days because Gibson processed the order immediately and I paid for expedited shipping.

The condition of the case and guitar looked great, except for the nut. It's pretty noticeable while playing, especially when the light hits it just right (or wrong).

It almost looks like it was broken or split and glued together.  Have any of you seen this on a new Gibson guitar? Thanks.

L1000558 (2).jpg

I had the same issue with the nut on my 2019 SG Gibson Standard that I bought brand new . These nuts are Tekoid nuts according to Gibson specs, but can't find any details on Google about these nuts . Anyway after a while it bugged me that the nut looks crap on an expensive guitar so I put on a Graph tech nut and now it looks the way it should be.....nice, neat and tidy.  If you never put on a nut before I suggest taking it to a guitar tech, lots of mucking around to get it right..... anyway nothing wrong with the Tekoid nut , it's not split or broken , just the ends look rough , just doesn't look good on the guitar....new guitars need to worn in....play for a while , get accustomed to your guitar then change what you don't like. On my SG I only changed the nut after about a year of playing it.... everything else is spot on .... don't let a $20- dollar part spoil your fun.... remember you got the best guitar on the planet.....Gibson forever.....

3 hours ago, SG Sydney said:

I had the same issue with the nut on my 2019 SG Gibson Standard that I bought brand new . These nuts are Tekoid nuts according to Gibson specs, but can't find any details on Google about these nuts . Anyway after a while it bugged me that the nut looks crap on an expensive guitar so I put on a Graph tech nut and now it looks the way it should be.....nice, neat and tidy.  If you never put on a nut before I suggest taking it to a guitar tech, lots of mucking around to get it right..... anyway nothing wrong with the Tekoid nut , it's not split or broken , just the ends look rough , just doesn't look good on the guitar....new guitars need to worn in....play for a while , get accustomed to your guitar then change what you don't like. On my SG I only changed the nut after about a year of playing it.... everything else is spot on .... don't let a $20- dollar part spoil your fun.... remember you got the best guitar on the planet.....Gibson forever.....

Thanks for that information. I'm not sure if our experiences are the same but for $3K it's unacceptable to me to need to have a new guitar from a premium brand that looks bad and plays not as well as it should  (low E pushes off the neck too easily) taken to a luthier to be made right. Time, money, more time, etc.

Gibson finally, after more than a dozen calls/emails, had UPS pick up the guitar. I hope I will see a refund before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SG Sydney said:

Glad to hear it turned out all well for you Archer 911.....I hope Gibson realise to get there act together....

I hope so too, but I will stay away from them and try only to buy at brick and mortar establishments where I can see and play the guitar before buying—and that's just what I did after returning the guitar to them. Anyway, I think the current offerings from Epiphone have got them beat for the money all day long.

Epiphones are good too.  Gibsons, Epiphones, whatever.  But all Gibsons have a line across the side of the nut where the edge of the nitro is, so don't buy a Gibson unless you can deal with it.  At the same time, it would be nice if everybody could go to a brick and mortar place to buy.  That's what I'd like to do if I had the choice.

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

Epiphones are good too.  Gibsons, Epiphones, whatever.  But all Gibsons have a line across the side of the nut where the edge of the nitro is, so don't buy a Gibson unless you can deal with it.  At the same time, it would be nice if everybody could go to a brick and mortar place to buy.  That's what I'd like to do if I had the choice.

" But all Gibsons have a line across the side of the nut where the edge of the nitro" 

All? No they all don't. Absolutely not. 

3 hours ago, Archer911 said:

" But all Gibsons have a line across the side of the nut where the edge of the nitro" 

no,  you're right.  That thing you had wasn't really the norm.

I do think it's too bad you and Gibson got off on the wrong foot tho.   Thru no doing of yours..

I've been owning / playing USA gibbies all my "playing" life. (55 years) I have 6 USA gibson's right now.   I've never had a problem with one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kidblast said:

no,  you're right.  That thing you had wasn't really the norm.

I do think it's too bad you and Gibson got off on the wrong foot tho.   Thru no doing of yours..

I've been owning / playing USA gibbies all my "playing" life. (55 years) I have 6 USA gibson's right now.   I've never had a problem with one.

Agreed. I have 2 Les Pauls and an ES-335 that are great.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Archer911 said:

The edge of the nitro is halfway up the nut on every Gibson that's finished properly.  You just don't know that yet.  At the same time, they could have filed that nut a little and avoided a return.

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

The edge of the nitro is halfway up the nut on every Gibson that's finished properly.  You just don't know that yet.  At the same time, they could have filed that nut a little and avoided a return.

Instead of you telling me what I don't know I can tell you what I do know—both sides of the nut looked horrible, I have never seen another Gibson look this way, this would reduce the resale value, and Gibson customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. If you like your guitars to look this way great, I just don't.

1 hour ago, Archer911 said:

Instead of you telling me what I don't know I can tell you what I do know—both sides of the nut looked horrible, I have never seen another Gibson look this way, this would reduce the resale value, and Gibson customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. If you like your guitars to look this way great, I just don't.

I hear you.  I wouldn't like it either.  👍