Gibson Brands Forums

Brand New Les Paul Modern — Is this right?

Archer911

Well, this is my first post on the forum and it's to get the opinion of you all about this particular guitar and model.

Last week I ordered and received a new LP Modern directly from the Gibson web site. My thinking in buying directly from Gibson was that the guitar would be as close to "perfect" as possible.

It arrived in a couple of days because Gibson processed the order immediately and I paid for expedited shipping.

The condition of the case and guitar looked great, except for the nut. It's pretty noticeable while playing, especially when the light hits it just right (or wrong).

It almost looks like it was broken or split and glued together.  Have any of you seen this on a new Gibson guitar? Thanks.

L1000558 (2).jpg

Edited by Archer911
Low resolution photos

It's possible that the nut slot was cut slightly too deep and wide - and they just ran a file over it to (supposedly) tidy it up.  Badly finished IMO. 

Surely Gibson LP nuts should be a better fit, and better shaped?

It's not pretty and it almost looks like there is a shim beneath it, also the bottom half is thicker - is that all the way across?

If it works ok I'd try and live with it....or send the pic to Gibson, negotiate and take it to a good repairman for a replacement. 

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

It's possible that the nut slot was cut slightly too deep and wide - and they just ran a file over it to (supposedly) tidy it up.  Badly finished IMO. 

Surely Gibson LP nuts should be a better fit, and better shaped?

It's not pretty and it almost looks like there is a shim beneath it, also the bottom half is thicker - is that all the way across?

If it works ok I'd try and live with it....or send the pic to Gibson, negotiate and take it to a good repairman for a replacement. 

I did send images and a note to Gibson 2 days ago. I'll report back their response. I expect they will offer a return as an option which will be accepted as taking a brand new, $3k guitar to a repairman is not the kind of feeling I want remember..

UPDATE:

Gibson customer service never responded to my email and photos of the nut on the guitar that I bought directly from them. Man is this disappointing!

I also bought this Epiphone Inspired by Gibson directly from their Epiphone site.

Conclusion:

1) Gibson customer service don't give a damn.

2) The finishing on the MADE IN CHINA $550.00 Epiphone is better than the made in US  $3000.00 Gibson Les Paul.

3) My loyalty to US made Gibsons is going out the window.

4) Never buy from Gibson direct because that doesn't guarantee you will get a guitar that has been carefully made and checked for quality.

Note: The ES-335 is a tale of 2 guitars in my opinion. The electrical parts are of a lower quality than I can tolerate so the pickups have been upgraded and soon the wiring/switch/jack will be. The playability of the guitar is exceptional, especially for a $550 guitar.

The Les Paul Modern has some great features including the neck and body contours. The pickups are much too dark for clean tones, even through a Deluxe Reverb, but do well with vintage amps like a Supro Thunderbolt and old National model 22. I will remove the Burstbuckers and replace them with Lollar or Seymour Duncan PAFs.

IMG_4514 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

My Standard has a few scuffs off the lot too. I'll live. 

I understand you (all too well), but that won't affect anything, so I'd just play on. 

I believe it will affect resale value just as it is. I'm not even sure what would happen to make it look this way. I know it's difficult to tell from the image but it looks like a repair as the other side of the nut has a  similar appearance.

If we give up on quality and take what we can get, for $3000 hard earned dollars, then it's just going to get worse. Thanks for your opinion though.

23 hours ago, Archer911 said:

I believe it will affect resale value just as it is. I'm not even sure what would happen to make it look this way. I know it's difficult to tell from the image but it looks like a repair as the other side of the nut has a  similar appearance.

If we give up on quality and take what we can get, for $3000 hard earned dollars, then it's just going to get worse. Thanks for your opinion though.

No, I agree with you, really. Hope it works out. 

I am not saying this is what happened, but it almost looks like maybe they didn't like the way the slots were cut - so rather than pop out the whole nut (and essentially have to refinish the whole guitar), they just sliced off the top and glued a new top on........    Very weird......   

3 hours ago, mrichard27 said:

I am not saying this is what happened, but it almost looks like maybe they didn't like the way the slots were cut - so rather than pop out the whole nut (and essentially have to refinish the whole guitar), they just sliced off the top and glued a new top on........    Very weird......   

Based on what the other end looks like I think you are right about this showing an added piece.That being said it's rather easy to push the low E off the neck while playing a G chord.

7 hours ago, Archer911 said:

Based on what the other end looks like I think you are right about this showing an added piece.That being said it's rather easy to push the low E off the neck while playing a G chord.

Really?! This is one of my pet hates about certain guitars. Though this is unusual on Gibson instruments IME. Is the neck perpendicular to the body, or is it slanted one way?

BTW, concider what Big Bill and Eracer_Team said about using the phone.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Really?! This is one of my pet hates about certain guitars. Though this is unusual on Gibson instruments IME. Is the neck perpendicular to the body, or is it slanted one way?

BTW, concider what Big Bill and Eracer_Team said about using the phone.

They have ignored 2 emails now. I am following their instructions included with the order if I have "questions or concerns" which I do.

I did call last week but had to leave a message.

At this point I will return the guitar, IF they ever respond, as it would be necessary to take this to a luthier for repair.

I'll put the money, IF I get it back, toward a Collings guitar and be done with Gibson for good.

support.jpeg

On 11/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, Archer911 said:

Well, this is my first post on the forum and it's to get the opinion of you all about this particular guitar and model.

Last week I ordered and received a new LP Modern directly from the Gibson web site. My thinking in buying directly from Gibson was that the guitar would be as close to "perfect" as possible.

It arrived in a couple of days because Gibson processed the order immediately and I paid for expedited shipping.

The condition of the case and guitar looked great, except for the nut. It's pretty noticeable while playing, especially when the light hits it just right (or wrong).

It almost looks like it was broken or split and glued together.  Have any of you seen this on a new Gibson guitar? Thanks.

L1000558 (2).jpg

That is a flat out fail. If it came that way the QA guy or girl or however they identify should go to guitar jail.

Looks like they glued two pieces together.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is a flat out fail. If it came that way the QA guy or girl or however they identify should go to guitar jail.

Looks like they glued two pieces together.

2 emails and 3 phone calls with more than 30 minutes on hold and nobody answers.

Is Gibson bankrupt and have they closed their doors?

13 minutes ago, Archer911 said:

2 emails and 3 phone calls with more than 30 minutes on hold and nobody answers.

Is Gibson bankrupt and have they closed their doors?

They were headed that way but now there is a Canuck at the helm and its basically the same as when Henry was there.

Turkey shortage, change shortage, TP shortage, and now there is as shortage of people at Gibson to answer phones and e-mails. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

Did you call over the American Thanksgiving weekend,  doubt you'd get anyone on Nov 25 and 26th

Aside from tons of sales, I've seen USA roll their sidewalks up during Thanksgiving 

Before TG, after TG, and 4 calls yesterday.

Finally got someone at the end of the day yesterday. He said I could return the guitar and would send a return label. I haven't received the return label as I write this. Maybe I'll get the label today or tomorrow or I will start the calling all over again. Stay tuned for more on this unnecessary and ugly story.

28 minutes ago, Archer911 said:

Before TG, after TG, and 4 calls yesterday.

Finally got someone at the end of the day yesterday. He said I could return the guitar and would send a return label. I haven't received the return label as I write this. Maybe I'll get the label today or tomorrow or I will start the calling all over again. Stay tuned for more on this unnecessary and ugly story.

Progress! Good. Hopefully you'll get your refund soon.