Gibson Brands Forums

The devil made me do it...........

Buc McMaster

Well, having decided I want to play out again, I figure I needed an electric guitar of some description...........bought this one.  Yes, yes.....it's the acoustic forum but I thought you guys might like to see what talked me out of my J-45...........

https://imgur.com/vhpJKX2

Edited by Buc McMaster
  • Like 1

It is indeed heavy, and yes, it came from Southpaw.  Spent about five hours playing a lot of different guitars...........this was the one.  Tube amps only for me.........and NO PEDALS!  A tube amp responds to the guitar in such a magic way.  I bought a little Fender amp with the guitar but I've got my eye on a Marshall 1974X combo.............very nice little amp.

yA8zTm4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

It is indeed heavy, and yes, it came from Southpaw.  Spent about five hours playing a lot of different guitars...........this was the one.  Tube amps only for me.........and NO PEDALS!  A tube amp responds to the guitar in such a magic way.  I bought a little Fender amp with the guitar but I've got my eye on a Marshall 1974X combo.............very nice little amp.

yA8zTm4.jpg

Tubes are the only way to go. I've got a little Fender Champ 600 that is pretty much all I need. It is easily hot-rodded with tube upgrades if you are so inclined.

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

I have a self-modded $300 Gretsch, a Squier Classic Vibe Strat, and a Reverend Trickshot (Tele-esque). Blues Jr.

Everyone should have an electric. If on a budget, just get a Squier Classic Vibe Tele.

no pedals? Pshaw. Get two… a nice delay, and a looper! It is so much fun playing over a looper. I have gotten so much better as a guitarist with that simple practice tool.

Now we’re talking

Pedals

Beautiful LP, Buc!

An identical (bar the handedness) Lester was my first major guitar investment in the ‘90s. Cost me £1200 at the time and I played it for a long time, through most of the bands I was in and various projects. 

I wish I still had it. I always felt like a king walking onstage wearing that guitar. I had others, but always, always came back to the LP. I sold it to finance my first SJ200 when I went solo, as I recall. From one gamechanger to another!

Congratulations, Buc! I really enjoy Les Pauls. I might like Teles a bit better, but I really do like the Les Pauls. Heavy, though. Mine is 10.04 lbs. I ended up getting a 3" padded leather strap for mine.

I am tube-tone sans pedals, but I do like to mess around with tones too much to not enjoy modern options. While I do have a tube amp, it's too big to drive. This is where I landed for now. Lots of fun.

b4LlmSF.jpg

Nice looking LP congratulations.  Can't beat Les Pauls for versatility.  The model has become known for it's rock n roll escapades through the years, but Les himself was more of a jazz/pop guy and you can really play just about any style on them.  Have fun with it!!

On 12/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Twang Gang said:

Nice looking LP congratulations.  Can't beat Les Pauls for versatility.  The model has become known for it's rock n roll escapades through the years, but Les himself was more of a jazz/pop guy and you can really play just about any style on them.  Have fun with it!!

I LOVE them.  Wouldn't ever NOT have at least 2.. to me,, they're hammers

When you need a hammer, ... only a hammer will do!!!