Gibson Brands Forums

Re-glue a chip or leave it off?

Mr.Woody

9 minutes ago, Mr.Woody said:

Hi all, sorry for the slow reply!! 

I have not glued the chip back in yet, but am considering letting a luthier do it. Not really sure of the cost/benefit ratio. I have a bottle of Titebond II sitting on the table here, and am completely comfortable doing it myself, although my wife has mentioned this being an expensive guitar (just under $5k), so it would be better to have it professionally done so it doesn't turn out looking "redneck" lol  The top has started showing quite a few scratches (super thin finish), so I can't see the chip being fixed at home mattering that much with a bunch of scratches right below it. Thoughts?

I'm guessing since this isn't a warranty repair, taking it to a non-Gibson-authorized luthier won't have any impact on my Gibson warranty?

Oh, also as for the ring: I was tucking in the flap on the humidipack and when I pulled my fingers back out of the soundhole, my ring (with sharp edges) caught the edge. It all happened so quickly!! Never had that happen before for sure! 

Well.  If your Gibson is a Nice one.     Send it to a good luthier.   With the luthier making it look nice.  And it could be dressed to look clean.       

2 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

Hi all, sorry for the slow reply!! 

I have not glued the chip back in yet, but am considering letting a luthier do it.

AM-JKLXF7XSgBfrNoKIxR_dC4dleJzqDcEScLVMd

To be frank - the guitar is already too mojoed to be 'sissy' about gluing the chip back on yourself. 
Besides it will strengthen your relationship with the good 45.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I now look forward to see the confident and competent result.                                                      

2 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

Also, here's my wedding ring. It's made from meteorite. It used to be mirror polished and the edges were more rounded, but over the last 12 years the "grain" has started showing, and the edges have sharpened a good bit. Funny thing.....my ring also has a chip in it lol

AM-JKLUFIUHHhq9ELOukg43l1VbxX3m4eAgAyhUl

It's a kool ring.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He is waiting on 10 - 15 more posts on what advice to take. If more say glue - glue, if more say leave it - leave it, I guess?

I am assuming the owner was going in to grab the humidity packs and smashed down on the edge of the sound hole with his ring, and since it looks routed for the rosette it chipped there.

This same thread is posted in the AGF,  where 95% of the responses were "put it back"

👌

Given the scratches already on it (which look absolutely fantastic, IMO), I'd glue it yourself.  From the looks of how you've played that guitar in, you're not interested in it being a collector guitar, but a guitar that get played hard regularly.  I've got a 50s J-45 I just got this past summer and there's already finish/paint gone around the soundhole, but that's because I play it hard every single day, and I care far more about playing it than looking at it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the extra input guys. I'm all on board with putting the chip back on, and I'll contact a luthier in the next few days just to get a ballpark estimate. I'm more inclined to do it myself for the reasons you have stated, but I do want to hear my wife's perspective on "taking care" of the guitar despite the scratches. She did let me buy it after all 😉

6 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

I've got a 50s J-45 I just got this past summer and there's already finish/paint gone around the soundhole, but that's because I play it hard every single day, and I care far more about playing it than looking at it.

Could be something to 👁️👁️ that guitar -  quite sure I'm not the only one interested. 

• Like 1

Well, it's not perfect at all, but it's back in. The chip itself ended up breaking (I don't even know how/when), so there was some wood showing through in one spot. I went ahead and colored the wood with a dark pen until I can maybe touch it up with some lacquer or something. Overall, it's not terrible, so I'm moving on!

AM-JKLU9Jjpj5A0PthRzGEhOQq7pBFfWM-mm3Ajy

AM-JKLWJgKaUtFZrGFsGdbN3GRoeUOi9JVmVxSaX

AM-JKLUgK2H6x3kvo-YwiyLHwtr-Vw6cS1qKCrHZ

LOL, it's def from me. And honestly it's only from a  handful of "active" strumming sessions. This finish is SUPER thin. 

I just posted these on AGF, but here's my old #1 after 11 years

nB06iuGZChKaqm7uYgTwpyYHkxgZ0gFPoqsXIWyN

And my old beater/kids camp guitar after about 17 years

16 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

Well, it's not perfect at all, but it's back in. The chip itself ended up breaking (I don't even know how/when), so there was some wood showing through in one spot. I went ahead and colored the wood with a dark pen until I can maybe touch it up with some lacquer or something. Overall, it's not terrible, so I'm moving on!

AM-JKLUgK2H6x3kvo-YwiyLHwtr-Vw6cS1qKCrHZ

Splendid work - this have brought you closer to the instrument. Right thing chosen > done. 

17 minutes ago, Mr.Woody said:

LOL, it's def from me. And honestly it's only from a  handful of "active" strumming sessions. This finish is SUPER thin. 

I just posted these on AGF, but here's my old #1 after 11 years

nB06iuGZChKaqm7uYgTwpyYHkxgZ0gFPoqsXIWyN

And my old beater/kids camp guitar after about 17 years

Nice, you even have a pick holder built into the guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You rock -

do we see no one else than Popeye over the bridge. And did that orange pick shoot through the top during one of these hefty performances. . 

LOL, it does kind of look like Popeye! It's a little guy (I think his name is Pierre) that a kid in our kids club used to draw and I let her draw it on there.

There were usually 3 picks stuck in the top at a time. Very handy as a pick holder 🙂

4 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

LOL, it does kind of look like Popeye! It's a little guy (I think his name is Pierre) that a kid in our kids club used to draw and I let her draw it on there.

There were usually 3 picks stuck in the top at a time. Very handy as a pick holder 🙂

👍  'ave a good weekend. . 

4 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Good job on the chip. Given some time you will not think about it anymore.

Great song and playing too. Please post more songs when you can.

Lars

Thanks on both accounts! I don't have a ton of real songs on there, but here's a couple:

• Thanks 1