Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, CNJ said:

So what makes me go...hummm is how most of us anthropomorphize our guitars.  Specifically referring to them as "She".  For instance, "She's a real beauty", "She can really sing", "How does she sound" and so forth.  Now I realize that guitars, and the LP body shape (and most acoustics for that matter) vaguely resemble a female shape 

Actually, Reading a history of musical instruments, I discovered that the guitar, along with the violin family(violin, viola, cello, bass viola) were shaped based on the female torso intentionally.  

But the "she" thing has been done for centuries I guess.  Not only our instruments, but many other things get referred to as "she".  Cars, boats, motorcycles, even appliances and whatever else inanimate objects.   I even remember back in the "day", when TV repairmen actually came to your house to fix the set, a repairman at our house, when done, wanted to test it to see if all was good, asked me to "plug her in".    Or my Dad, pointing to our new and first ever power mower, said, "Start 'er up!"   

Whitefang

People who say their car or truck has a motor. Your car or truck actually has an engine cause it runs on fuel. A motor is electric like the thing that turns you ceiling fan. I guess a Tesla is different though it runs on electricity.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Retired said:

That was the guitar I had my mind set on, that Midi Synth. They had 2 different models then & I forgot the numbers? Thought one was like 550? The claim was, "You can make your guitar sound like any instrument in an Orchestra." and they had videos demonstrating it. 

Most likely, the SH575. Not sure if it is still in the Kiesel line. The SH550 still is, along with the modified 550 Frank Gambale model.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

In SC in North Myrtle you better believe this is a real store.

f68rKgI.jpg

Ah, Myrtle Beach. I'd rather spend an eternity in hell than one day in Myrtle Beach. This is one reason why. You can also enter through Quigley's QAnon Emporium

Edited by zigzag

9 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Ah, Myrtle Beach. I'd rather spend an eternity in hell than one day in Myrtle Beach. This is one reason why. You can also enter through Quigley's QAnon Emporium

My house in next to N. Myrtle. The class of people is top shelf (professional drunks, snow birds, and tourists). Can these people actually get around without a golf cart? And if you see an older guy who is driving age, and is ridding a scooter, he probably had a DUI or 5.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CNJ said:

So what makes me go...hummm is how most of us anthropomorphize our guitars.  Specifically referring to them as "She".  For instance, "She's a real beauty", "She can really sing", "How does she sound" and so forth.  Now I realize that guitars, and the LP body shape (and most acoustics for that matter) vaguely resemble a female shape and some have knobs, but they also have ball ends and at least one nut.  So without getting vulgar, how do you lean?  Are they male, female or just a hunk of wood (mostly).

Some of mine are real beauties. None are handsome so that is why one is named, "Little red Riding Hood." She is a Beauty. Lol. She can both play and sing like a Lady. 

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

Most likely, the SH575. Not sure if it is still in the Kiesel line. The SH550 still is, along with the modified 550 Frank Gambale model.

Thank you. That was it, SH 575. Yeah, I don't think they offer them anymore. I have checked for Carvin and mostly Kiesel comes up. I am not a fan of the Kiesel style at all. 

So another thing that makes me go ...Hummm is whenever I'm considering another guitar and say aloud that I should sell a few off, the boss says "Keep em all, you obviously liked it or you wouldn't have brought it".  Astounding!  But then she does own 50 pairs of shoes...

16 minutes ago, CNJ said:

So another thing that makes me go ...Hummm is whenever I'm considering another guitar and say aloud that I should sell a few off, the boss says "Keep em all, you obviously liked it or you wouldn't have brought it".  Astounding!  But then she does own 50 pairs of shoes...

Often when we're going somewhere and she asks 'How do I look?'   - I tell her she looks like a young Imelda Marcos.   She eventually stopped buying shoes she never wore.  "Case Queen Shoes".   Throws out the "2Fer" coupons that come in the mail.    If I'd discovered this magical incantation a few decades earlier, I'd have a few more guitars.  

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Often when we're going somewhere and she asks 'How do I look?'   - I tell her she looks like a young Imelda Marcos.   She eventually stopped buying shoes she never wore.  "Case Queen Shoes".   Throws out the "2Fer" coupons that come in the mail.    If I'd discovered this magical incantation a few decades earlier, I'd have a few more guitars.  

Brilliant! I gotta remember this

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People who say their car or truck has a motor. Your car or truck actually has an engine cause it runs on fuel. A motor is electric like the thing that turns you ceiling fan. I guess a Tesla is different though it runs on electricity.

I often hear those ginks on "American Pickers" call automobile engines "motors" and it never fails to irk me.   I guess for many it goes back to when people called early automobiles "motor cars".   And you know  Those who build them(some of them) have names like General MOTORS,  Ford MOTOR Company and such.  But a long time ago several people(buddies, family members etc,)  told me about the "engine" thing.  And I still go by that too.

46 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about when asked do these pants make my butt look fat? Nope your fat butt makes you you look fat, the pants only cover it up.

And you know, that brings me to the folly of using stupid slang..  For prime example...

The slang word "phat" (meaning something is favorable)  is stupid because you can't SEE how it's spelled when you HEAR it.  I imagine...

The unfortunate young man, sitting in his girlfriend's living room as she comes in and out of the room modeling the clothes she just bought during her last shopping spree.  So imagine one time when she comes out in a new outfit she looks stunning in and asks the young man, "Sweetie, how do I look in this?"  and he answers, "Oh, baby, you sure look "phat"!"  

And as I said you can't see how it's spelled when you hear it, all SHE hears is he thinks she looks "fat"!  

Ans any guy who tells his girlfriend she looks fat is gonna get it!  Or worse...

He WON'T.  [wink]

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There is not one original member in the group. It’s one of my 5 favorite albums of all time, but some of these Dinosaurs need to stop. 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/yes-announce-theyll-celebrate-50-years-of-close-to-the-edge-this-june

Well of course we're all aware that when CLOSE TO THE EDGE was recorded and came out the group wasn't all "original" members, right?  [wink]

But I getcha.  If there's absolutely NO "original" members, then it basically IS a "Tribute band". 

I saw Yes in '72 and they announced the release of that LP, but only played "And You And I" from it.  And IMHO.  considering all that came out afterward, although good, just wasn't anywhere near as good and I consider "Close To The Edge" to be their swan song.

Whitefang

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well of course we're all aware that when CLOSE TO THE EDGE was recorded and came out the group wasn't all "original" members, right?  [wink]

But I getcha.  If there's absolutely NO "original" members, then it basically IS a "Tribute band". 

I saw Yes in '72 and they announced the release of that LP, but only played "And You And I" from it.  And IMHO.  considering all that came out afterward, although good, just wasn't anywhere near as good and I consider "Close To The Edge" to be their swan song.

Whitefang

At the time of CTTE in '72 the replacements were Steve Howe for Peter Banks and Rick Wakemen for Tony Kaye, everyone else was original. Yes were sick of Tony insisting he only wanted to play Hammond Organ and played with one hand in the air. I read that in a Yes biography ages ago. At the time of CTTH I don't think Rick was an official member and just a hired gun for the album and tour.

At least Yes doesn't use 90 extra musicians and back up singers to make themselves sound like Yes, a la The Stones, who have more back up players than original members on stage.

I love Relayer and Going For The One, of course Fragile and TYA are classics. The first two I can listen to, but a totally different Yes, hence calling the third album The Yes Alum was when they  said they found their sound. Going For The One was the last album with Jon I can take. I liked Drama as it was a total departure for Yes, but the Trevor years until today make me loose my lunch. Tormato had like 3 good songs on it, and Oceans is just overindulge of the Prog era. I don't think ELP ever got that pretentious, well maybe they did with Works.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Really, Howe was with them in '71 for TYA and Fragile.  And Wakeman in '71 for Fragile.  And CTTE was the last LP with Bruford as drummer.   And such a fan was I ...I actually shelled out good money for Topographic Oceans.  :rolleyes:

Oh.  At first I thought "the Trevor years" meant you LOSE your lunch because of Trevor Rabin, who replaced Howe, and I think is a very decent guitarist.  But you had to mean Trevor horn, who was a sad replacement for Jon. 

Whitefang

11 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Really, Howe was with them in '71 for TYA and Fragile.  And Wakeman in '71 for Fragile.  And CTTE was the last LP with Bruford as drummer.   And such a fan was I ...I actually shelled out good money for Topographic Oceans.  :rolleyes:

Oh.  At first I thought "the Trevor years" meant you LOSE your lunch because of Trevor Rabin, who replaced Howe, and I think is a very decent guitarist.  But you had to mean Trevor horn, who was a sad replacement for Jon. 

Whitefang

That's right Rick was on Fragile (brain fart), Steve on TYA. I'm old and dumb.

Yeah I can't spell either. Trevor is a fine musician, but that mid-80's Yes with Jon back and the fake Jon Anderson they have now just makes me sad. They way the did the vocals on 90124374 Square Root Of Pii was interesting. Yes created probably THE Classic Prog LP, with CTTE. I could listen to CTTE every day.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1