Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Instead of a urinalysis it’s a poopalysis.

You are so funny Sgt.  Think we might be a team?  Deb was telling me about her step dad this morning. She does not like him. Forget the word she called him? Wasn't a Bimbo' not Dud? Anyway, so I asked her, "Is that what I am?"  "Hell No" she said, "You Are Funny and that's why I like you!" 

3 hours ago, Retired said:

You are so funny Sgt.  Think we might be a team?  Deb was telling me about her step dad this morning. She does not like him. Forget the word she called him? Wasn't a Bimbo' not Dud? Anyway, so I asked her, "Is that what I am?"  "Hell No" she said, "You Are Funny and that's why I like you!" 

Bobo? This place needs humor or else it’s all J-45’s and 1959 Les Paul’s are the holy grail even though maybe 15 peoples here have ever played one.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Bobo? This place needs humor or else it’s all J-45’s and 1959 Les Paul’s are the holy grail even though maybe 15 peoples here have ever played one.

If I wasn't married, I would probably have a lot more guitars of each brand? Always wanted a Carven also. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

If I wasn't married, I would probably have a lot more guitars of each brand? Always wanted a Carven also. 

I heard Joe Walsh once say,  a Carvin guitar is the most accurate guitar ever made. They are perfectly made. 

OK.  Old "wish list" guitars?   Well, starting from way back---

When I started learning guitar, ANY make or model would do!  [wink]

My first(and only) electric was a '67 Kalamazoo  KG-2.  Thing cost only $79.00 new.  Came with an amp the size of a table radio.

Gretsch and Rickenbacker were then desired because George Harrison played 'em.

The Mosrite Ventures models somewhere in between all that.  

Then the '68 Gibson Les Paul gold top  Followed by the Hagstrom Viking 1

Ach!  So many guitars....  So little time and money.  [crying]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Retired said:

I heard Joe Walsh once say,  a Carvin guitar is the most accurate guitar ever made. They are perfectly made. 

I own a Carvin (now Kiesel) SH550. It is the most playable guitar I've ever played, hands  down. Also, the prettiest. Extremely well made. That said, most people seem to feel their pickups are lifeless. Since Kiesel has owned them, they've made a lot of changes, plus, they got rid of their amp line. I think some of their bigger selling guitars remain. Their line of pickups has completely changed, and I have no idea what they sound like now.

Personally, I like the way the stock pickups (S-22s) in the 2009 SH550 sound, and I've done side-by-side comparisons with my others.  Sometimes they sound the best to me, but usually rate in my top three. For humbuckers, they have excellent articulation, high output, and bright highs, but not so much complexity/texture or dirt... sterile next to '57 Classics or Burstbucker Pros, but favorable next to my stock 2007 AS Tele or 1999 AS Strat. I hope that some of those characteristics have carried over into their new line.

And of course you have a lot of latitude in choosing which pickup, fret size and composition, color/finish, wood grain, headstock, etc. within a given model. All carved tops, no laminations in semi-hollows.  All built in California. Excellent value compared to other US made guitars. It took mine about 3 months to arrive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zigzag said:

I own a Carvin (now Kiesel) SH550. It is the most playable guitar I've ever played, hands  down. Also, the prettiest. Extremely well made. That said, most people seem to feel their pickups are lifeless. Since Kiesel has owned them, they've made a lot of changes, plus, they got rid of their amp line. I think some of their bigger selling guitars remain. Their line of pickups has completely changed, and I have no idea what they sound like now.

Personally, I like the way the stock pickups (S-22s) in the 2009 SH550 sound, and I've done side-by-side comparisons with my others.  Sometimes they sound the best to me, but usually rate in my top three. For humbuckers, they have excellent articulation, high output, and bright highs, but not so much complexity/texture or dirt... sterile next to '57 Classics or Burstbucker Pros, but favorable next to my stock 2007 AS Tele or 1999 AS Strat. I hope that some of those characteristics have carried over into their new line.

And of course you have a lot of latitude in choosing which pickup, fret size and composition, color/finish, wood grain, headstock, etc. within a given model. All carved tops, no laminations in semi-hollows.  All built in California. Excellent value compared to other US made guitars. It took mine about 3 months to arrive. 

Congrats on yours.  I was into carving way back following them. I wanted a custom built 550 but at that time couldn't afford one. By the time I could, they had already gone to Kiesel and I lost interest in them as I wasn't impressed with Kiesel.  My sons Custom Pro Epiphone has the Burstbucker's in it and I loved them.  I thought they sounded better than the humbuckers in my Gibson Gold top Standard. 

16 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes. Not sure all who retired or bought out that they changed but I agree, the quality died out as Kiesel. 

"bought out" doesn't appear to be the case.

History

Founded by Lowel C Kiesel as the L.C. Kiesel Company, in 1946 in San Diego, California.[4] The company's first self-manufactured items were guitar pickups, which were wound using an old sewing machine.[5] Manufacturing then shifted to producing entire steel guitars.

By 1947, operations briefly moved to Kiesel's home town of Gothenburg, Nebraska and back to Southern California in 1949, where Kiesel named the company Carvin, a portmanteau derived from the first names of his two eldest sons, Carson and Gavin.[1]

From 1950 to 1970, Carvin manufactured and assembled several types of guitars and amplifiers. They were an authorized manufacturer and reseller for Fender and Martin guitars, DeArmond pickups, and Sonola accordions. In the 1960s and early 1970s, they used Höfner necks on guitars they made.[6]

Starting in the 1970s, Carvin developed a niche in the musical instrument world by selling directly to the public via mail order.

In the late 1970s, Carvin began the production of their own instrument parts and expanded their product lines to include professional audio gear, amps, recording equipment, lighting, and other stage and studio equipment. Later on, Carvin switched to manufacturing through-neck guitars, attracting metal players such as Jason Becker and Marty Friedman.[7]

In the 1980s, they began to offer customized guitars and basses, based on available body shapes, woods, colors, electronics, and other features.[8]

On December 28, 2009, it was announced that the founder of Carvin Guitars/Kiesel Guitar, Lowell C. Kiesel, had died.[9]

In 2015, Carvin Corporation split off the guitar business to a new company, Kiesel Guitars,[10] which continues to build electric and acoustic guitars, MIDI synth guitars, bass guitars and other instruments under the Carvin Guitars brand as well as new, Kiesel branded instruments. Carvin Corporation continued to operate the brands Carvin Amplifiers and Carvin Audio, which manufactured guitar and bass amplifiers as well as other professional audio gear.[11][12] In October 2017, Carvin Audio announced that their California factory would be closing its doors after over 70 years.[13]

Whitefang

When I used to go to a lady named Marguerite at Fret Not in NN, VA to get my guitars set up, and anything else needed luthier wise, I asked her one day. I said I am sure you have seen it all( I think she worked with Jim Merrill if you have heard of him), and if you had to choose one guitar what would it be. She said wait a minute, and when in her house and came out with a Carvin. Not sure of the model. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thanks W.F. for posting that. I didn't know the story and now know. That was the guitar I had my mind set on, that Midi Synth. They had 2 different models then & I forgot the numbers? Thought one was like 550? The claim was, "You can make your guitar sound like any instrument in an Orchestra." and they had videos demonstrating it. 

So what makes me go...hummm is how most of us anthropomorphize our guitars.  Specifically referring to them as "She".  For instance, "She's a real beauty", "She can really sing", "How does she sound" and so forth.  Now I realize that guitars, and the LP body shape (and most acoustics for that matter) vaguely resemble a female shape and some have knobs, but they also have ball ends and at least one nut.  So without getting vulgar, how do you lean?  Are they male, female or just a hunk of wood (mostly).

1 hour ago, CNJ said:

So what makes me go...hummm is how most of us anthropomorphize our guitars.  Specifically referring to them as "She".  For instance, "She's a real beauty", "She can really sing", "How does she sound" and so forth.  Now I realize that guitars, and the LP body shape (and most acoustics for that matter) vaguely resemble a female shape and some have knobs, but they also have ball ends and at least one nut.  So without getting vulgar, how do you lean?  Are they male, female or just a hunk of wood (mostly).

Depends on how they identify.