Gibson Brands Forums

Stung by warranty issue

Tega.tm

I’m now the proud owner of a $5499 custom Les Paul that has.010 relief on low E and .003 action on high e… that doesn’t play across the neck without action being raised to well above 6/64 at the twelfth fret… and won’t tune or intonate properly.. I have been told it’s normal… I won’t even go into being blamed for the issues with finish and the fact I actually touched the guitar….

I didn’t know I was not supposed to not take it out it’s case or put it back to factory setup.. obviously after my 20’odd years of playing/ setup and building my own Les Paul copy as a lockdown project.. i now have realised i am obviously stupid and have no knowledge about guitars whatsoever.

I did think it strange that my other guitars tuning and intonation being bang on to hear after working on them..

and obviously now know that having sorted out the 6 other guitars I own to sound right and many others in the past both acoustic and electric with intonation issues and high frets etc.. that they are not normal as normal is not being able to tune or intonate across the whole neck 🤦‍♂️.. I will now go and correct my stupidity of making them sound in tune and pleasing to the ear…

This will be the best looking classical guitar I have ever owned… I wasn’t in the market for another high action machine but now I have it I can sound just like my toddler and jam till the cows come home🤘🏼

This is an ongoing issue through uk dealership with in-house workshop, both authorised by Gibson. Only 2 months since bought new

I mean no offence to anyone so please don’t take it that way.. and I have had it made clear both from Gibson customer service and the dealership that asking to resolve this issue is not happening through warranty and also because all the great’s have been playing them for ever that I’m obviously not doing it right or allowed to question any issue’s because the quality is good enough for Clapton, Hendrix etc. i was also referred to Jim De Cola’s video tour of the factory to prove my lack of knowledge and appreciation for Gibson guitars and the hard work that goes into building them… (which believe me i am well aware of the fact I have been waiting 20’odd to pluck up the nerve to actually buy one without fear of being that guy with all the gear and no idea)

obviously I must be the kind of guy that just randomly bought a $5499 guitar of some brand I’d never heard of just for a something to do… not sure how other people buy things.. but being a guitar player I always coveted the Gibson line up and being in government compliance for work my choices are usually well researched but what do I know… 

Thoughts welcome.

Give it to the fukking dealership.  Tell them to set it up.  Pay them full boat for a really good set up.  Get it back and then discuss the results with them, because it will either be set up to function properly or it won't.  Outside of that, if only 2 months do you have any return rights at all?

rct

2 minutes ago, rct said:

Give it to the fukking dealership.  Tell them to set it up.  Pay them full boat for a really good set up.  Get it back and then discuss the results with them, because it will either be set up to function properly or it won't.  Outside of that, if only 2 months do you have any return rights at all?

rct

I think I only had 14days to return and as I’ve been recovering from major surgery I’ve not really been in a position to deal with it properly.

i could fix it myself but at 2months in and price point I thought it best left to Gibson as it’s warranty. But never mind.. from what’s been said there’s no warranty cover outside of USA.

I will not be spending a penny more in that dealership for talking to and treating me like I’m stupid.. 

1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

You may have better luck with warranty issues after you register your Les Paul.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Warranty-Registration/3

I had done that as soon as I got it home.. but obviously being in the UK it is through the dealership who have sent it in house both are Gibson authorised.. so I’m in a no win situation unfortunately. Thus the reason for the rant earlier.. 

10 minutes ago, Tega.tm said:

I think I only had 14days to return and as I’ve been recovering from major surgery I’ve not really been in a position to deal with it properly.

i could fix it myself but at 2months in and price point I thought it best left to Gibson as it’s warranty. But never mind.. from what’s been said there’s no warranty cover outside of USA.

I will not be spending a penny more in that dealership for talking to and treating me like I’m stupid.. 

I'm sorry for your troubles.

If I was you, and I'm not, I would still take it back to them and make a deal that if they can set the guitar up to function properly I will go away and shut up forever and if you can't do that I get my money back and you(dealer) can take it up with Gibson.

You are getting hosed.  I don't know why a) they do that over there and b) you people keep giving them perfectly good money to get screwed, all over the world.

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

I'm sorry for your troubles.

If I was you, and I'm not, I would still take it back to them and make a deal that if they can set the guitar up to function properly I will go away and shut up forever and if you can't do that I get my money back and you(dealer) can take it up with Gibson.

You are getting hosed.  I don't know why a) they do that over there and b) you people keep giving them perfectly good money to get screwed, all over the world.

rct

I know, it’s just one of those things where you want the best but never seem to get it for various reasons 🤷‍♂️.. it was a longtime dream to own this and as a bit of a gift after a cancer scare and major surgery, my wife took me on my birthday to purchase it.. I don’t really know what to say..

Sod’s law applies to the majority of my life🤦‍♂️You would think I’d be used to it after 40’odd years or is it gluten for punishment 😂

sorry for the downer of a post but had to get it off my chest.. and sorry ranting as I’m diuretic you guys have read the post I had on it before I found out the outcome… 

Yeah that really frikken sucks....   At the very least you should be able to get good intonation even on a basic setup.

Do you have a notched straight edge to check the neck straightness?  You can get them fairly cheaply and by the sounds of it you have several guitars so its probably worth the effort... I got this one recently as I lost my old one somewhere  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333688521547

Which dealer was it that did this? 

Also I am on a UK guitar forum thats pretty busy..  If you go post the same thing over there you may get some more interesting responses.. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/  

Edited by Rabs

What you describe ? normal it aint.  

My Acoustics are lower than 6/64s..  and one is a 12 string.

Hope you get it sorted out, you're in way too deep for this kind of baloney.

have you checked the neck set?  has it twisted on you?  The trouble you mention sounds kind of like what I've heard other people say with necks gone askew.

41 minutes ago, kidblast said:

What you describe ? normal it aint.  

My Acoustics are lower than 6/64s..  and one is a 12 string.

Hope you get it sorted out, you're in way too deep for this kind of baloney.

have you checked the neck set?  has it twisted on you?  The trouble you mention sounds kind of like what I've heard other people say with necks gone askew.

That was probably me 😂.. aye that’s exactly what’s happened but it’s normal and then they pointed out I’d taken the pick guard off and put a big chip in the Finish.. (indent from sort finish when put on as it is smooth and shaped just like the mount 🤔) also nothing was said about the neck hump or anything to do with playability.. just pointing out in a smug way that basically I am being fussy and any issue is my fault..

I’m at a loss

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Yeah that really frikken sucks....   At the very least you should be able to get good intonation even on a basic setup.

Do you have a notched straight edge to check the neck straightness?  You can get them fairly cheaply and by the sounds of it you have several guitars so its probably worth the effort... I got this one recently as I lost my old one somewhere  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333688521547

Which dealer was it that did this? 

Also I am on a UK guitar forum thats pretty busy..  If you go post the same thing over there you may get some more interesting responses.. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/  

I’m not sure I want to name and shame till I get the guitar back from them and see what they say when I pull them up for talking to me like I’m daft and obviously check if it still looks the same but of the pictures I’ve posted before and can be seen with the naked eye.. the fact they are trying to say they can’t see a crack running up one side of the neck join after I explained seeing the twist one day and the the twist looking less twisted the next and this cracking slowly moving up one side and along the body fretboard join.. which wasn’t there when I bought it.. but it’s normal for Gibsons to do that 🤷‍♂️.. I’m obviously not as experienced as they are… how are all you Gibson owners getting on with this normal neck twist and joint cracking thing? 😂

4 minutes ago, Tega.tm said:

I’m not sure I want to name and shame till I get the guitar back from them and see what they say when I pull them up for talking to me like I’m daft and obviously check if it still looks the same but of the pictures I’ve posted before and can be seen with the naked eye.. the fact they are trying to say they can’t see a crack running up one side of the neck join after I explained seeing the twist one day and the the twist looking less twisted the next and this cracking slowly moving up one side and along the body fretboard join.. which wasn’t there when I bought it.. but it’s normal for Gibsons to do that 🤷‍♂️.. I’m obviously not as experienced as they are… how are all you Gibson owners getting on with this normal neck twist and joint cracking thing? 😂

Well Jimmy Page neve had an issue..

Such a silly thing to say.. Gibsons although they can have there issues ARE better than that.

I just want to know so I can avoid them..  Even just trying to fob you off like that is not on... Let alone selling a guitar like that in the first place.

I recently bought a second hand 336.. Was the first time I have ever bought without trying first but it was too far away...  And its great.. Its a 2016 and after tuning it up it played perfect... Didnt have to set it up or anything and that cost like half the one you bought..  Fight them.. Its not right.

Edited by Rabs

5 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I think  rct  and  Rabs  have given really good advice..

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.. I had thought of getting a second opinion from an different authorised luthier and taking it from there… as i have been in twice before and all they do is plug it in and noodle, then say it sounds fine.. but due to having kids in bed by 19:00 I was playing unplugged and couldn’t get it to play properly ( this the reason for taking it back twice before) I was getting frustrated and tried to explain to the shop.. but feel on deaf ears as noodling on single note won’t show up the same as playing chords and due to not feeling up for nonsense after major surgery.. I just left.. I am recovering nicely now and not willing to be lumbered with a lemon will be taking this to whatever level I need to to get it resolved… 

58 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Can you make a short video showing what you're talking about and post it here?   That's a lot of bacon to throw down for something unplayable.  

I will need to wait till I get it back from the shop, and again I know this sounds ludicrous but unfortunately as usual I am the unlucky one with an issue.  As I wanted to buy a Gibson for a reason, being the heritage and quality..

Just now, Tega.tm said:

I will need to wait till I get it back from the shop, and again I know this sounds ludicrous but unfortunately as usual I am the unlucky one with an issue.  As I wanted to buy a Gibson for a reason, being the heritage and quality..

Yes.. Please dont get put off by whats happened..  I can assure you, when you get that right guitar it will be well worth it..  And there are many out there... Sometimes you just gotta do a bit of work to find your one... Which also sounds silly but thats how guitars are... Whats good for one person may not be good for another.. Of course what they have tried to sell you seems to be a broken guitar, no one should have to saddled with that when you are paying that much, even if it were a £500 guitar.. Still not on...

3 hours ago, Tega.tm said:

That was probably me 😂.. aye that’s exactly what’s happened but it’s normal and then they pointed out I’d taken the pick guard off and put a big chip in the Finish.. (indent from sort finish when put on as it is smooth and shaped just like the mount 🤔) also nothing was said about the neck hump or anything to do with playability.. just pointing out in a smug way that basically I am being fussy and any issue is my fault..

I’m at a loss

You're getting the bums rush   

the ppl you're dealing with sound like clowns...  Work with clowns, expect a circus

I think there is a Euro Support contact..  keep pushing this is bull shite.. 

4 hours ago, Tega.tm said:

So terribly sorry to hear of your dealings in this Tega.  That is terrible and with so high of a cost.  Actually even if it were a cheap guitar would be disappointing.  Your question, How are ours holding up? My Gold Top is like 15 years old now and still like brand new.  No defects are marks, (chips or signs of usage.) 

I’m not trying to blame the OP or anything but I can’t imagine picking up such an expensive guitar in unplayable condition and then buying it. Even if it was ordered online if I wasn’t thrilled with the playability right out of the case then I wouldn’t consider keeping it. 

Seems like a huge failure to not notice this under the 14 day return period and that’s probably why the shop is so hesitant to take the return. Especially after you tell them you’re a diy luthier and you’ve been tinkering with the guitar 

again I really mean no offense just trying to maybe see things from another perspective