Gibson Brands Forums

Beau Brummels

DanvillRob

The Beau Brummels were a San Francisco Area Band.   Their first hit (Laugh, Laugh) came out about the time we formed our first group, (late 1964/early 1965).

We probably worked with them, but I don't specifically recall it, and I've never seen a poster with us on the same bill.

I met Sal Valentino a few years ago at a book signing.   He's a nice guy.

Hard to believe that's he's nearly 80 now!

Both these songs were written by Ron Elliott, (their lead guitarist), and since I was thinking about Sal, I put these two songs together.

I hope both Sal and Ron think I did the songs justice.

Just now, kwalker201 said:

Nice tunes! What harmonizer are you using with your vocals? Also I dig the hats 😂 

Thanks

Just a TC Helicon.

I use the different hats to better find the videos on my iPhone, (in this case, these songs were recorded the same day....

so I was wearing the same shirt....different guitars and different hats!).

4 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The BBs always reminded me of the Zombies in their general music style. 

I liked them back then, and you do justice to their two biggest hits.

Nick, I’d never thought of that….but you’re right…..kinda similar!

Well played, and justice done, Rob.

I lived in the (East) Phoenix metro area in the early 70's. We had one of the finest freeform, open format radio stations on the planet until it was sold in 1977. The mighty KDKB with the legendary Bill Compton at the helm.

The  Beau Brummels had radio play in Phoenix, alongside Jerry Riopelle, Leo Kotke, Buckingham/Nicks, Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal and other unknowns like John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and Lowell George.

Your thread took me back in time and I spent some time on Youtube with their catalog, which I hadn't heard in nearly 5 decades.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Always like this band and I like your rendition of their songs.  And the Dove is super cool.  You play well!

I'd like to meet Ron Elliott sometime.... I heard he and Sal had a falling out....too bad.

Thanks....LOVE the DIF.... but the 'Bird is coming on so strong, it might overtake the DIF as the "Chosen One".

11 hours ago, Murph said:

Well played, and justice done, Rob.

I lived in the (East) Phoenix metro area in the early 70's. We had one of the finest freeform, open format radio stations on the planet until it was sold in 1977. The mighty KDKB with the legendary Bill Compton at the helm.

The  Beau Brummels had radio play in Phoenix, alongside Jerry Riopelle, Leo Kotke, Buckingham/Nicks, Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal and other unknowns like John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and Lowell George.

Your thread took me back in time and I spent some time on Youtube with their catalog, which I hadn't heard in nearly 5 decades.

Thank you.

Thanks for the compliment.

We had an "Outlaw" radio station here in the SF Bay Area back in the 80's....KOME...... where I first heard John Prine, Leon Redbone and other 'fringe artists'.  

Fell in love with their music!

The Beau Brummels were a 'West Coast' band, much like The Mojo Men, The Vejtables & The Syndicate Of Sound, so they got a lot of air time around here.   In fact, The BIG radio station in SF was KYA...and Tom Donahue was one of their premiere DJ's...and he discovered the Beau Brummels and signed them to his record label!

10 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Nice, Rob.  That group had a a very unique sound.  So easy t listen to.  Takes me back to a more gentle time. Thanks for the trip.

roger

Thanks Roger.   They are credited with being one of foundations of the "San Francisco Sound".

A challenge to do justice to their stuff with just a guitar, a harmonizer and a mediocre player/singer.

Fun, fun fun.

Didn't Sal go on to Stoneground?

I remember the Beau Brummels being on the bill of one of those Murray the K package shows at the Brooklyn Fox Theater probably in 1965.  One of those deals where there were maybe 10 acts on the bill and each got to play two or three songs.

47 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Fun, fun fun.

Didn't Sal go on to Stoneground?

I remember the Beau Brummels being on the bill of one of those Murray the K package shows at the Brooklyn Fox Theater probably in 1965.  One of those deals where there were maybe 10 acts on the bill and each got to play two or three songs.

Yes, Sal went on to Stoneground....but I didn't follow that group.

Here's a photo from the book signing.... I circled me, Lydia Pense (Cold Blood), Rick Stevens, (Tower Of Power), and Sal in the back.

Open photo

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

I always liked their songs. I always thought them and the Zombies sounded similar with most of their hits being played with minor chords. 

Agreed.

The Grass Roots were another hybrid LA/SF Left Coast Sound group, including lots of minor key stuff.

Half of the original Grass Roots came out of the Bedouins in SF, which had to have been close to the time Rob was with Peter Wheat. Maybe a couple of years later, if that.

18 hours ago, j45nick said:

Agreed.

The Grass Roots were another hybrid LA/SF Left Coast Sound group, including lots of minor key stuff.

Half of the original Grass Roots came out of the Bedouins in SF, which had to have been close to the time Rob was with Peter Wheat. Maybe a couple of years later, if that.

We did several shows with The Grass Roots, but never got to know them much.

We did the THEM concert with them, plus a few more., (I don't recall the White Star Tuna show at all!).

274530588_3126344214247843_3549269121017274952518_505613000924992_38266314791407271582514_256745583101807_25840825857382