Gibson Brands Forums

1967 Gibson Factory Tour

jdgm

Wow...the sixties!   I enjoy this kind of commentary now as much for the vintage of it as what he says.

There is some great playing footage too;

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched it once, and am now going through it in more detail to find Epiphone items.

It is interesting that the video gives almost no attention to solidbody electric guitars, though. They show an SG a few times, but no specific mention of that type.

Edited by pohatu771

Just skimmed through it for now, but filed it in my "favorites" to watch when I have more time.  Like what I saw so far.

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Thanks JDGM. Interesting looking at old videos.  Yeah, each person does the same job in their station.  Think how bored they would get doing the same job over and over each day? 

Butch, I worked that way for near 30 years at GM.  And it's not as bad as some imagine.  But it depends on the individual.  With a good imagination and the job becoming more automatic the more you do it you can let your mind go anywhere and not lose a beat.

Whitefang

I watched it a day or two ago.  What stood out most to me is how far we have come in reproducing sound in videos and on film.  The remastered film soundtrack is sort of warbly and makes the guitars sound out of tune sometimes.  Not the greatest advertisement for the Gibson amps they play through.  Having lived through that time as a teenager I didn't find anything unusual about the film, but perhaps much younger people would not be used to the style of documentary.  Pretty subdued by today's standards.

@Farns - I don't play a lot of electric these days, but I'd be happy to cover the rhythm guitar and some backing vocals for the Scientific Slots! 

Didn't know the guitar can echo an orchestra's sound.

Pressing a sandwich made thin sheets of closed grain wood under carefully controlled heat and pressure, oh you mean lamination?

How do you weld wood together, well Gibson like the F-hole and the truss rod invented it.

2 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I wonder who the earliest victims of downsizing at Gibson were?

It said 80% is hand made, now probably less. So 20% not hand made. I guess you can claim its hand made it you do one small thing by hand.

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Just skimmed through it for now, but filed it in my "favorites" to watch when I have more time.  Like what I saw so far.

Butch, I worked that way for near 30 years at GM.  And it's not as bad as some imagine.  But it depends on the individual.  With a good imagination and the job becoming more automatic the more you do it you can let your mind go anywhere and not lose a beat.

Whitefang

I guess? I worked the rack line at Omaha Standard for 3 years. Only, we were so busy, I had no time to think about boredom. 30 to 40 some racks per day with some 22' long.  The paint line couldn't keep up so I had to stack them 10 high.  Those were the days I lifted one end up over my head and slid it on top from the other end. They were 200 & some pound racks. That place was a madhouse.  What was your part of the job at GM? 

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

It's actually surprising to see be that Gibson's marketing has been BS since the 60s. 

Scientific slots and precision ply wood. [lol]

When you finally graduate with a Marketing Degree you have to get employed by some company and make up ridiculous overinflated terms that make the masses want your product. Why not do it for a guitar maker. Ok, I'm fresh out of college. Gibson give me some guitar words and I'll make them sound as good a free King Cut Prime Rib Dinner.

18 hours ago, Retired said:

I guess? I worked the rack line at Omaha Standard for 3 years. Only, we were so busy, I had no time to think about boredom. 30 to 40 some racks per day with some 22' long.  The paint line couldn't keep up so I had to stack them 10 high.  Those were the days I lifted one end up over my head and slid it on top from the other end. They were 200 & some pound racks. That place was a madhouse.  What was your part of the job at GM? 

The job???

Which one.  I've been moved to 10 different jobs at Cadillac between Nov. '71 (seniority date) and the plant's closing in '88.  Went from there to the Livonia, MI engine plant in April '88 and shot pistons, set crank bearings and cranks for a year before becoming team leader in '89 and then going to the new Northstar division that same year and was team leader there until going on sick leave in '97 and medically retiring (official date 1/1/2000) one year before my 30th.   My first job at Cadillac was setting engines on what was called the "chassis line".  My last was applying script in the pinstriping division.  I've done some jobs that were easy going and others that busted my ***.  But all in all I never got bored and retired with my hearing intact.  [wink]  And a good pension with no out-of-pocket healthcare costs.  I sometimes wonder how all those guys I knew who thought they were too good for factory work are doing now.....

Whitefang

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The job???

Which one.  I've been moved to 10 different jobs at Cadillac between Nov. '71 (seniority date) and the plant's closing in '88.  Went from there to the Livonia, MI engine plant in April '88 and shot pistons, set crank bearings and cranks for a year before becoming team leader in '89 and then going to the new Northstar division that same year and was team leader there until going on sick leave in '97 and medically retiring (official date 1/1/2000) one year before my 30th.   My first job at Cadillac was setting engines on what was called the "chassis line".  My last was applying script in the pinstriping division.  I've done some jobs that were easy going and others that busted my ***.  But all in all I never got bored and retired with my hearing intact.  [wink]  And a good pension with no out-of-pocket healthcare costs.  I sometimes wonder how all those guys I knew who thought they were too good for factory work are doing now.....

Whitefang

Great for you Ken, Yeah, I keep hearing of more & more guys that retired before me at the R.R. that are dead now.  Lye retired about 8 or 9 years before me and is still here.