Gibson Brands Forums

Look at this surgeon work

E-minor7

He is simply amazing. 

I really admire his control. Though probably excited now and again he keeps calm and balance his way over the line. BRAVO

, , , never mind the magnets. . 

• Like 2

What's wrong with gaffa tape?....😝

Maybe a coat of jet black to hide the repair and put it on reverb.com before it falls out. you know ..mint Gibson ebony Hummingbird F/S.

No, kidding though, but a friend had his 15 series Martin hit his mic with similar look and a patch was put in....very good job done....almost invisible but looks like a scar.

BluesKing777.

A stunningly bad result.

This fellow should seek consultation with a few of the great vintage guitar repair folks who take great pains to match the grain of patches with the grain of the repaired guitar and who can also so skillfully match the guitar finish as to nearly make the patch disappear.

7 hours ago, jt said:

A stunningly bad result.

This fellow should seek consultation with a few of the great vintage guitar repair folks who take great pains to match the grain of patches with the grain of the repaired guitar and who can also so skillfully match the guitar finish as to nearly make the patch disappear.

Okay there - I think you are quite hard. As seen when filming the top his lighting/camera betrays the nuances of the burst, , , and his own work. Besides there are, was it 9 layers left.                                    

Edited by E-minor7

55 minutes ago, jt said:

A stunningly bad result.

I've seen some videos of what your talking about, Painstakingly matching the grains with an almost undetectable repair. If I had an expensive or vintage instrument, I would not be satisfied with the repair shown. 

3 hours ago, jt said:

A stunningly bad result.

And a stunningly arrogant take.

You may be comparing apples to oranges here as to what type of repair he is offering/someone is willing to pay for and a vintage restoration expert.

7 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

And a stunningly arrogant take.

You may be comparing apples to oranges here as to what type of repair he is offering/someone is willing to pay for and a vintage restoration expert.

Perhaps so. And I apologize for any arrogance I exhibited.

But, well, the repair just isn't well executed.

With the value of vintage guitars skyrocketing, it's getting easier to justify the type of costly repairs that JT is talking about.

Maintaining playability versus maintaining vintage value may result in very different approaches to the same repair, and may require significantly different skillsets. 

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

With the value of vintage guitars skyrocketing, it's getting easier to justify the type of costly repairs that JT is talking about.

Maintaining playability versus maintaining vintage value may result in very different approaches to the same repair, and may require significantly different skillsets. 

Perhaps - but for many years to come, this is 'just' a plain black-ring Hummingbird Standard.

3 hours ago, jt said:

Perhaps so. And I apologize for any arrogance I exhibited.

But, well, the repair just isn't well executed.

No need to apologize, if you ask me. 

Prefer if you could find a video where the same operation is demonstrated on A level. Would be an eye-opener for me and the audience here. Perhaps even the doc in the film above. 

36 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Perhaps - but for many years to come, this is 'just' a plain black-ring Hummingbird Standard.

No need to apologize, if you ask me. 

Prefer if you could find a video where the same operation is demonstrated on A level. Would be an eye-opener for me and the audience here. Perhaps even the doc in the film above. 

If I had that repair done to an otherwise pristine HB I would not like it.  The luthier I use has repaired holes and breaks in vintage guitars for me that were undetectable after being fixed. 

I’ve never seen a video of such repairs but have seen documented articles with pictures. I don’t remember where and I have no urge to research them. 

14 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If I had that repair done to an otherwise pristine HB I would not like it.  The luthier I use has repaired holes and breaks in vintage guitars for me that were undetectable after being fixed. 

I’ve never seen a video of such repairs but have seen documented articles with pictures. I don’t remember where and I have no urge to research them. 

Admit the scared zone above the oval is odd. Assume he wanted to limit the size of the patch - then counted on camouflaging the scar between the oval and the original side. Not optimal. 

Some here never clean off their guitar except when they do a string change.  Some like 'road worn'  looking guitars.   While others want to keep theirs in mint condition.

For every Closet Queen 60 year old guitar discovery - there are probably a half a million guitars that have much worse wear and damage than the one this guy fixed up. 

Restoring a Velvet Elvis painting  isn't comparable to restoring a DaVinci.   

If I'd put a hole like that in my H'Bird TV -  I'd be sick.   But I'd get over it and be completely happy with that repair. 

17 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Some here never clean off their guitar except when they do a string change.  Some like 'road worn'  looking guitars.   While others want to keep theirs in mint condition.

For every Closet Queen 60 year old guitar discovery - there are probably a half a million guitars that have much worse wear and damage than the one this guy fixed up. 

Restoring a Velvet Elvis painting  isn't comparable to restoring a DaVinci.   

If I'd put a hole like that in my H'Bird TV -  I'd be sick.   But I'd get over it and be completely happy with that repair. 

My sentiments EXACTLY!

32 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

8 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My sentiments EXACTLY!

Yes, same here, I dig the oval shape - though the upper zone scar would produce some questions.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    The doctor should present the final result with all 9 layers done in a good neutral lighting. And show us a photo from within too.                                                                                                                                                

Remind me to not buy used guitars from you guys. 
Just my experience, using a more competent luthier does not necessarily cost more. It does take longer. I had a couple bad experiences before I realized that. 

• Haha 1

that was a tuff repair.   It looks like a solid job all around.. 

but, I will say, I have a friend with a VERY similar damage to a Taylor Maple (Quilted no less) 800 series 12 string.  (Gorgeous guitar)

The guy who did the repair on that guitar was amazing.  I saw the job after it was done, and you could not see any history of the damage. 

He erased it completely.   He was expensive, but it was a miraculous repair job

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

that was a tuff repair.   It looks like a solid job all around.. 

but, I will say, I have a friend with a VERY similar damage to a Taylor Maple (Quilted no less) 800 series 12 string.  (Gorgeous guitar)

The guy who did the repair on that guitar was amazing.  I saw the job after it was done, and you could not see any history of the damage. 

He erased it completely.   He was expensive, but it was a miraculous repair job

Very reassuring to hear stories like that - a downright salto : bet he was one happy geezer, , , , after being down in the hole. . 

25 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Remind me to not buy used guitars from you guys. 
Just my experience, using a more competent luthier does not necessarily cost more. It does take longer. I had a couple bad experiences before I realized that. 

I can't speak for the others...but I don't sell my guitars....EVER!

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Very reassuring to hear stories like that - a downright salto : bet he was one happy geezer, , , , after being down in the hole. . 

HA! I see what ya did there.   My pal was devastated,  he loves that guitar. 

he was encouraged by the repair guy telling him "ha!  I've seen worse"... 

4 weeks later,... it looked like it just came out of the shipping container from Taylor.  Remarkable really.  He was an Authorized Taylor warranty and even had a Taylor spec'd "UV finishing booth" on site, He was ready to handle just about anything.  I'd say he did just that.

• Like 1