Gibson Brands Forums

Epi wanted for a newbie as a gift

Rabs

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yes.. This is why I want to get her an electric. But she will apparently be starting lessons at school soon so they may require an acoustic/classical guitar for that. So they can teach her the basics which I am sure they will do a better job with than I can. Outside of that I can show her how to play power chords and some other stuff which she will hopefully find fun. So a mixture of both I say.

Also actually that was my start too.. My mum forced me to start learning when I went to secondary school (high school) which was at the age of 11.. They taught me proper classical style. I actually used to know how to read proper music at one point. Then I stopped after a couple of years. Then got in to rock music over the next few years and started again when I was 15.. Now, while I had forgotten almost everything I learned and almost had to start again, that basis in music that I was taught at 11 made it very easy for me to get in to it. But I never had anyone else to learn from. I am hoping that with my help she can do better than I did and I can help show her the things that we all know can help especially when you learn them early. I dont think I found out what a pentatonic scale was till I was about 30  😄 

My first US made guitar at 14 was a 63 Coronet now almost 60 years later I love my MIC Wilshire a and my Black Coronet. Both of these weigh in at about 6 Lbs.

My Coronet below is a real screamer, which I gave to a friend, these are basic very well built guitars reminiscent of a LP TV DC, but the light weight makes them very comfortable to play.

kH0AlnM.jpg

Then there is my Wilshire, that has become my #1 guitar, even thought the price was only a fraction of what my other Epiphones. 

AovIPtC.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

8 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

My first US made guitar at 13 was a 63 Coronet now almost 60 years later I love my MIC Wilshire a and my Black Coronet. Both of these weigh in at about 6 Lbs.

My Coronet below is a real screamer, which I gave to a friend, these are basic very well built guitars reminiscent of a LP TV DC, but the light weight makes them very comfortable to play.

kH0AlnM.jpg

Then there is my Wilshire, that has become my #1 guitar, even thought the price was only a fraction of what my other Epiphones. 

AovIPtC.jpg

Nice cheers....

And yeah it may be a good choice if I could get one locally... But as said choice is slim in the shops these days.. I could probably find one online but really want to check out what ever guitar I get before I get it.

I spoke to my sister today about it as I am not sure if her school will provide a guitar to teach her or if we need to buy one. In which case I will get that first. See how she takes to it and then get an electric for her (or build one) a bit later on. My sister is finding out how the lessons work at the  school, will take it from there.

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nice cheers....

And yeah it may be a good choice if I could get one locally... But as said choice is slim in the shops these days.. I could probably find one online but really want to check out what ever guitar I get before I get it.

I spoke to my sister today about it as I am not sure if her school will provide a guitar to teach her or if we need to buy one. In which case I will get that first. See how she takes to it and then get an electric for her (or build one) a bit later on. My sister is finding out how the lessons work at the  school, will take it from there.

You might consider a G-400 SG, they have a set neck, Humbuckers, Tom bridge, usually Grover or Kluson style, weigh about 7 Lbs and have been in production, in one form or another, for over 30 years. There are lots of used ones to choose from, I recently sold a 2008 of mine for 275US in excellent condition.

Edited by mihcmac

52 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

You might consider a G-400 SG, they have a set neck, Humbuckers, Tom bridge, usually Grover or Kluson style, weigh about 7 Lbs and have been in production, in one form or another, for over 30 years. There are lots of used ones to choose from, I recently sold a 2008 of mine for 275US in excellent condition.

Well having thought about it a lot more now. I will wait and see if she needs an acoustic first for school.. If that all works and she gets in to it then we can get an electric.. I think its probably best to take her along with me so she can choose. Of course theres always a danger I spend even more on her if I go that route 😄  

Also, was just looking at the cheaper Epi LP Specials..  It seems them and most of the lower end guitars are made from a Poplar body..

I can do better than that for my niece 🙂 

Edited by Rabs

On 4/6/2022 at 2:35 AM, rct said:

Custom Shop Tele.  4, maybe 5 pounds.

Yer Welcome.

rct

You know I actually tried a bunch of Teles today.. They were pretty much all surprisingly heavy.. 

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

You know I actually tried a bunch of Teles today.. They were pretty much all surprisingly heavy.. 

My #1 is a loaf, heavy thing.  My Esquire is a feather, as is the Thinline.  My other Tele is just medium.  When I'm out with them they all weight the same, nothing.

rct

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Also, was just looking at the cheaper Epi LP Specials..  It seems them and most of the lower end guitars are made from a Poplar body..

I can do better than that for my niece 🙂 

The G-400's are all mahogany, 3 blocks of mahogany with a veneer on the top and back. 

• Thanks 1

They make some nice 3/4  size classical crossovers - thinner neck radiuses fretboard.    Yes, nylon until calloused, finger muscles etc arrive.  Bending,slides , hammering on and pulling off - I’d bet the school music teacher doesn’t want anything like that distracting from the basics.  I’m  old school and think it’s better to learn to understand the soul and basics of a guitar without electronics getting in the way.  While plugging in headphones spares the family later on,  I’ve found it helps parents to hear if the kid is actually practicing.   
I read somewhere half the kids who start guitar quit in the first year.  I’d hold off buying her a second guitar until then. 
G’Luck! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

They make some nice 3/4  size classical crossovers - thinner neck radiuses fretboard.    Yes, nylon until calloused, finger muscles etc arrive.  Bending,slides , hammering on and pulling off - I’d bet the school music teacher doesn’t want anything like that distracting from the basics.  I’m  old school and think it’s better to learn to understand the soul and basics of a guitar without electronics getting in the way.  While plugging in headphones spares the family later on,  I’ve found it helps parents to hear if the kid is actually practicing.   
I read somewhere half the kids who start guitar quit in the first year.  I’d hold off buying her a second guitar until then. 
G’Luck! 

That's a good shout. Makes good practical sense. 

• Like 1

Yamaha  is a respected brand in the classical guitar area. From student to professional -  Rodrigo y Gabriela support them.     Here's an Ibanez that touches some of the bases.  Classicals are generally the same size and shape of an LG1 - so manageable for a 13 y/o girl. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/GA35-Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-Classical-Guitar.gc

Edited by fortyearspickn

On 4/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, mihcmac said:

My first US made guitar at 14 was a 63 Coronet now almost 60 years later I love my MIC Wilshire a and my Black Coronet. Both of these weigh in at about 6 Lbs.

kH0AlnM.jpg

AovIPtC.jpg

These are smaller, inexpensive, light weight & P90’s are about as versatile as you can get..

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

So after all of this what did you finally decide?

Whitefang

As mentioned above. I am waiting to find out what they want at her school. If they provide a guitar for her to practice on I will see what she thinks of it all before buying an electric. If they dont provide an acoustic or whatever I will get one of those for her now and again see how she fairs and will get her an electric a bit later on.

• Like 1

Must be a well funded school in order to provide instruments for their band class  students to use.  And ANY kind of guitar too?  Hell.  All my school provided was a couple of beat up spinet or baby grand pianos.  

But yeah,  waiting to see if she takes to the guitar at all and does well and expresses a desire to go further before investing in an electric makes good sense.   And by the way....

I remember a few years ago one of my sisters in law told me about a nephew of hers(13 at the time) who was taking lessons somewhere to learn to play ELECTRIC guitar!  [omg]

I also remember at the time that it sounded like some kind of scam to me.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Must be a well funded school in order to provide instruments for their band class  students to use.  And ANY kind of guitar too?  Hell.  All my school provided was a couple of beat up spinet or baby grand pianos.  

But yeah,  waiting to see if she takes to the guitar at all and does well and expresses a desire to go further before investing in an electric makes good sense.   And by the way....

I remember a few years ago one of my sisters in law told me about a nephew of hers(13 at the time) who was taking lessons somewhere to learn to play ELECTRIC guitar!  [omg]

Whitefang

Well I am glad she is learning at school.. I am so untechnical that I think she will get a better foundation learning properly at first. I can teach her other more fun stuff outside of that. Like power chords  🙂 

But yeah, I think I jumped ahead of myself a bit as someone else said. Best wait and see how she takes to it first. I just like the idea another musician in the family. My brother in law started learning when he was 40 and I helped as much as I could but he lives in Manchester so I never have anyone to jam with..  

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Actually my sister just texted me saying the DO provide the guitar for her to learn on at school. Which I am also quite surprised about too... Cool though.

I bet they give her a really badly set up classical guitar with nylon strings... But my sister said it would be cool if I bought her an acoustic and theres no shortage of those even over here.

Ok..  So we have an end result here..

We went to the shop together so she could choose one she liked the look of..  She really wasnt sure about anything having never even held a guitar before so it was hard to get a sense of what she wanted.. So we tried a few out and ended up with a shortlist of two.

This one called a Brunswick, Yeah, I have never heard of them either. Betssie really liked the colour but after looking the guitar over I really wasnt happy with it, The fretboard looked like fake rosewood which I just found out it is and the tuners were horrid. But it had a nice in built tuner system  🙂  This 

AJ8UOnk.jpg

Then the second one she liked which ok , from an acoustic sound point of view is maybe a bit limited because of the shape BUT she said it felt lighter to her and she liked the shape so this is what we ended up with. An Ibanez.

6fnPgV0.jpg

So there we are.. One new young guitarist on the way  🙂 (hopefully she will keep at it, I will try my best to encourage her).

I think I made the right choice for her..

This is the spec list of the Brunswick, it really felt quite cheap too and the fake rosewood fingerboard looked like plastic. In its favour it didnt sound too bad at all.

• Spruce Top
  • Sapele Back & Sides
  • Enclosed Die-Cast Machineheads
  • Composite Technical Wood Fingerboard & Bridge
  • Built-In Pickup, Preamp, 3 Band EQ & Integrated Tuner
  • Dark Red Gloss Finish
  • Bridge: Composite Wood

And for the Ibanez

• Body shape - Talman Double Cutaway body
  • Bracing - X Bracing
  • Top - Spruce top
  • Back & Sides - Mahogany back & sides
  • Neck - Mahogany
  • Fretboard - Rosewood
  • Bridge - Rosewood
  • Body Binding - Ivory
  • Tuning Machine - Chrome Die-cast Tuner
  • Number of Frets - 20
  • Bridge Pins - Ibanez Advantage Bridge pin
  • Pickup - Ibanez Under Saddle pickup
  • Preamp - Ibanez AEQ-2T preamp w/Onboard tuner
  • Neck Dimensions
  • Scale - 648mm
  • Width - 42mm at NUT
  • Width - 54mm at 14F
  • Thickness - 21.5mm at 1F
  • Thickness - 23.5mm at 7F
Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

There was one other thing..

While we were at the shop we also went over to the electrics. I wanted to see if I could get a sense of what she liked. To my great dismay she pretty much went straight for a PRS 😮  

Maybe thats a sign she will grow up to be a dentist or a lawyer  😄 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rabs said:

There was one other thing..

While we were at the shop we also went over to the electrics. I wanted to see if I could get a sense of what she liked. To my great dismay she pretty much went straight for a PRS 😮  

Maybe thats a sign she will grow up to be a dentist or a lawyer  😄 

Females & bling eh? ](*,)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Excellent choice IMO!

Now all she needs is the amp....[wink]

Yes I thought so too... I was happy that she liked the different shape of it. The other one she liked cos it was red 🙂 ... If the red one had been of more quality I think she would have chosen that herself but it didnt take me long to say no... It just wasnt good enough.. The Ibanez was built really nicely.

She hasnt even had a guitar lesson.. I have told her if she likes playing I will get her an amp and buy or make her an electric guitar....

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1