Gibson Brands Forums

New Pink Floyd

SteveFord

53 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Where.....?

In the Ukraine, the video.... or both..?    [confused]

Whitefang

well.. in the Ukraine of course.  I don't think we're seeing a fraction of what is really going on in our news feeds.  

war is never good, except for those who make and sell the guns..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

I guess David kept the beat up Tele and didn't sell it.

Not impressed with the song. I guess it makes musicians feel good to think they are making a difference, but a song never changed or stopped any war that I'm aware of.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess David kept the beat up Tele and didn't sell it.

Not impressed with the song. I guess it makes musicians feel good to think they are making a difference, but a song never changed or stopped any war that I'm aware of.

The song didn't do much for me, not much Floyd has done since Dark Side has really made me stop and take notice to be honest.

But the video clips of the hell that's being unleashed on those people,,  ya  that was hard to see.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have to agree.

The world is already "aware". There are people fighting for their country eating pigeons, Dead babies, pregnant women, mothers, pets and fathers.

Centuries of wealth, art and construction destroyed.

What they need is more weapons and food to defeat the madmen invading their homes.

An international tragedy. 
Madness at an all time high, and human  decency at an all time low. 

That said, I have a hard time categorizing that heartfelt song as a Pink Floyd song. 

I don't have much love for Roger Waters, but if he's not involved, it isn't Pink Floyd. 

😐

Pink_Floyd,_1971.jpg

Edited by sparquelito

39 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

That said, I have a hard time categorizing that heartfelt song as a Pink Floyd song. 

I have a hard time categorizing it as a song, tell the truth.

Plus I see it as an attempt to exploit the Ukrainian tragedy for some kind of gain, either monetary, notoriety or both.  Like the myriad of country tunes exploiting the tragedy of 9/11.   And no generation or genre is exempt.  As Country Joe sang in "Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag"    "There's plenty of money to be made supplying the army with the tools of the trade..."   There was also plenty of money to be made singing songs in protest of the Viet Nam war, which went on regardless.   I guess musicians then(and apparently now) felt that if they didn't sing against something their audience might get the impression they didn't care.   Which of course was never true.   And since every American television and radio station is constantly full of the news and images of what's going on over there,  we really don't need an ersatz  Pink Floyd band to "raise awareness" of what's happening in the Ukraine. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I have a hard time categorizing it as a song, tell the truth.

Plus I see it as an attempt to exploit the Ukrainian tragedy for some kind of gain, either monetary, notoriety or both.  Like the myriad of country tunes exploiting the tragedy of 9/11.   And no generation or genre is exempt.  As Country Joe sang in "Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag"    "There's plenty of money to be made supplying the army with the tools of the trade..."   There was also plenty of money to be made singing songs in protest of the Viet Nam war, which went on regardless.   I guess musicians then(and apparently now) felt that if they didn't sing against something their audience might get the impression they didn't care.   Which of course was never true.   And since every American television and radio station is constantly full of the news and images of what's going on over there,  we really don't need an ersatz  Pink Floyd band to "raise awareness" of what's happening in the Ukraine. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Have you ever thought to yourself "maybe I should keep my option to myself"? Sometimes you can twist something nice into something that's unrecognizable. Time to put your post into the ignore my list.

P.S. Yes, that was me that gave you the sad emoji.

• Thanks 1

I have several options to consider.  But usually only one opinion on any given subject.  [wink] If your opinion differs from mine, that's OK.  I won't ignore it.  I consider that the same as taking my ball and going home.[-(

And did I express anything that wasn't true?

Whitefang

And here's some background information on it from Mr. Gilmour:

Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour joined CNN on Monday to talk about why the band decided to record its first music in nearly 30 years — a song in support of Ukraine featuring vocals by a Ukrainian soldier.

The legendary rock band released the new single “Hey Hey Rise Up” last week in support of the people of Ukraine, the band said in a statement. It’s the first new music from the band since 1994, and all proceeds will go to Ukrainian humanitarian relief, the statement added.

The song is performed by Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason, with bass player Guy Pratt and Nitin Sawhney on keyboard. The song features vocals by Andriy Khlyvnyuk from the Ukrainian band Boombox. The band used audio of Khlyvnyuk singing in central Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital, where he performed “a rousing Ukrainian protest song written during the first World War which has been taken up across the world over the past month in protest” against the Russian invasion.

Gilmour, who has a Ukrainian daughter-in-law and grandchildren, said in the statement that he felt moved by Khlyvnyuk’s performance “in a square in Kyiv with this beautiful gold-domed church and … in the silence of a city with no traffic or background noise because of the war.”

On Monday, Gilmour talked about how his family members sent him the clip of Khlyvnyuk singing that song in the square. 

"It's just a very, very striking performance and of course, due to the fact it's a cappella and there's no other instruments backing it. So you can easily take it to a studio and do something with it," he said.

Gilmour said at the time he was "already very frustrated by my own inability to do anything much" for Ukraine. He called Russia's attack on Ukraine "appalling."

Gilmour said it is an "awful thing that's going on in Ukraine" and this song "seemed like a great thing to arrive at my feet that I could then turn it into something which was actively, I hope, do some positive good." 

Asked if he could imagine the band doing a live performance with Khlyvnyuk in the future, Gilmour said, "I certainly wouldn't rule it out." 

"It would be great if we can make something like that work. And he's very keen on the idea. I have spoken to him several times in the last three weeks," he added.

Gilmour said that one of those conversations he had with the singer, who is fighting in the war, happened while "he was in a hospital bed having been struck by a piece of mortar shrapnel." 

"He was there with a big black eye, a bandage all over his face. The reality of what he's living, other people are living through there is just beyond what most of us can really understand or believe can happen in the world."

"Gold domed church"  eh?

We have one of them here in Southfield, MI.  That was the church that had the wedding ceremony I attended as a wedding photographer.  Those people were incredibly warm and receptive.  It was one of the best wedding assignments I ever had.  Beautiful people really.  I mean, how can ANYONE have any dislike for any people capable of something like this...?

The Bandura is an exclusively Ukrainian creation and as you've found, a very beautiful sounding instrument.

Whitefang

• Like 1

Cripes jvi,  you sound like those dudes from my Dad's generation who thought hippies hated America because we thought the direction the government was taking it at the time was wrong.   Actually, we LOVED America(and still do)  and hated to see it destroying itself in the name of corporate greed and self righteous saber rattling.   And even still, there's times when it seems a bit misguided and occasionally needs shaking up to get it back on track.  

Whitefang

4 hours ago, jvi said:

cripes wf. defend haters much ?

I thought, in at least my country, your innocent until proven guilty and your allowed to have your own opinion, no matter what it is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought, in at least my country, your innocent until proven guilty and your allowed to have your own opinion, no matter what it is.

even neil and rog ? ...and   (gasp !!!) liberals !!! ???