Gibson Brands Forums

Old forgotten movies

saturn

9 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Dr. Strangelove,  released in 1964, a great cast, Kuberik at his best and Peter Sellers as well at the top of his game, playing 3 lead characters, it was James Earl Ray' s first big movie part although he got little screen time, Slim Pickins,  great movie 

[lol]

You mean JAMES EARL JONES, don'tcha?    \:D/

JAMES EARL RAY was THIS nutjob------

And it was KUBRICK.   And let's not forget the excellent performance of STERLING HAYDEN as  general JACK D. RIPPER (see what they did there?) .  If I had to point out any bad thing about DR. STRANGELOVE it would have to be that it ended way too soon .  [wink]

Whitefang

45 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

[lol]

You mean JAMES EARL JONES, don'tcha?    \:D/

JAMES EARL RAY was THIS nutjob------

And it was KUBRICK.   And let's not forget the excellent performance of STERLING HAYDEN as  general JACK D. RIPPER (see what they did there?) .  If I had to point out any bad thing about DR. STRANGELOVE it would have to be that it ended way too soon .  [wink]

Whitefang

Spell correct to the rescue as also, I have to check every key stroke, this is the most undesirable program ever created by the nerds at Microsoft aka micro aggressive computer nerds.

Spell correct to the rescue as also, I have to check every key stroke, this is the most undesirable program ever created by the nerds at Microsoft aka micro aggressive computer nerds.

Microsoft  should pay the Spell Check Nazis a dollar for every error they correct. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

They should pay those of us who look like a fool when the algorithms decide what I am thinking. 

Yeah, that can be annoying.  But you can't blame Microsoft for your posting JAMES EARL RAY instead of JAMES EARL JONES, now, can you?  [wink]

Let's get back to DR. STRANGELOVE.

I've always found it interesting that both that movie and the movie FAIL SAFE were released the same year. (1964)  "Dr." in January, "Fail Safe" in October.  There's this about it:

Red Alert author Peter George collaborated on the screenplay with Kubrick and satirist Terry Southern. Red Alert was more solemn than its film version, and it did not include the character Dr. Strangelove, though the main plot and technical elements were quite similar. A novelization of the actual film, rather than a reprint of the original novel, was published by Peter George, based on an early draft in which the narrative is bookended by the account of aliens, who, having arrived at a desolated Earth, try to piece together what has happened. It was reissued in October 2015 by Candy Jar Books, featuring never-before-published material on Strangelove's early career.[49][50]

During the filming of Dr. Strangelove, Stanley Kubrick learned that Fail Safe, a film with a similar theme, was being produced. Although Fail Safe was to be an ultrarealistic thriller, Kubrick feared that its plot resemblance would damage his film's box office potential, especially if it were released first. Indeed, the novel Fail-Safe (on which the film is based) is so similar to Red Alert that Peter George sued on charges of plagiarism and settled out of court.[51] What worried Kubrick the most was that Fail Safe boasted the acclaimed director Sidney Lumet and the first-rate dramatic actors Henry Fonda as the American president and Walter Matthau as the advisor to the Pentagon, Professor Groeteschele. Kubrick decided to throw a legal wrench into Fail Safe's production gears. Lumet recalled in the documentary Inside the Making of Dr. Strangelove: "We started casting. Fonda was already set ... which of course meant a big commitment in terms of money. I was set, Walter [Bernstein, the screenwriter] was set ... And suddenly, this lawsuit arrived, filed by Stanley Kubrick and Columbia Pictures."

Kubrick argued that Fail Safe's own source novel Fail-Safe (1960) had been plagiarized from Peter George's Red Alert, to which Kubrick owned creative rights. He pointed out unmistakable similarities in intentions between the characters Groeteschele and Strangelove. The plan worked, and the suit was settled out of court, with the agreement that Columbia Pictures, which had financed and was distributing Strangelove, also buy Fail Safe, which had been an independently financed production.[52] Kubrick insisted that the studio release his movie first,[53] and Fail Safe opened eight months after Dr. Strangelove, to critical acclaim but mediocre ticket sales.

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, that can be annoying.  But you can't blame Microsoft for your posting JAMES EARL RAY instead of JAMES EARL JONES, now, can you?  [wink]

Let's get back to DR. STRANGELOVE.

I've always found it interesting that both that movie and the movie FAIL SAFE were released the same year. (1964)  "Dr." in January, "Fail Safe" in October.  There's this about it:

Red Alert author Peter George collaborated on the screenplay with Kubrick and satirist Terry Southern. Red Alert was more solemn than its film version, and it did not include the character Dr. Strangelove, though the main plot and technical elements were quite similar. A novelization of the actual film, rather than a reprint of the original novel, was published by Peter George, based on an early draft in which the narrative is bookended by the account of aliens, who, having arrived at a desolated Earth, try to piece together what has happened. It was reissued in October 2015 by Candy Jar Books, featuring never-before-published material on Strangelove's early career.[49][50]

During the filming of Dr. Strangelove, Stanley Kubrick learned that Fail Safe, a film with a similar theme, was being produced. Although Fail Safe was to be an ultrarealistic thriller, Kubrick feared that its plot resemblance would damage his film's box office potential, especially if it were released first. Indeed, the novel Fail-Safe (on which the film is based) is so similar to Red Alert that Peter George sued on charges of plagiarism and settled out of court.[51] What worried Kubrick the most was that Fail Safe boasted the acclaimed director Sidney Lumet and the first-rate dramatic actors Henry Fonda as the American president and Walter Matthau as the advisor to the Pentagon, Professor Groeteschele. Kubrick decided to throw a legal wrench into Fail Safe's production gears. Lumet recalled in the documentary Inside the Making of Dr. Strangelove: "We started casting. Fonda was already set ... which of course meant a big commitment in terms of money. I was set, Walter [Bernstein, the screenwriter] was set ... And suddenly, this lawsuit arrived, filed by Stanley Kubrick and Columbia Pictures."

Kubrick argued that Fail Safe's own source novel Fail-Safe (1960) had been plagiarized from Peter George's Red Alert, to which Kubrick owned creative rights. He pointed out unmistakable similarities in intentions between the characters Groeteschele and Strangelove. The plan worked, and the suit was settled out of court, with the agreement that Columbia Pictures, which had financed and was distributing Strangelove, also buy Fail Safe, which had been an independently financed production.[52] Kubrick insisted that the studio release his movie first,[53] and Fail Safe opened eight months after Dr. Strangelove, to critical acclaim but mediocre ticket sales.

Whitefang

Wikipedia huh?   

Anywho,  Sterling Hayden's part in Dr. Strangelove is not only pivotal to the plot but an in your face to thge blacklisting of many actors caught up in the red scare of the 1950s.  As you probably already know,  Hayden was a decorated Marine veteran,  sent to  OCS  only to be recruited by none other than Wild Bill Donavan himself to become an OSS operative.  Hayden had a master's license to operate sailing vessels,  a skill the OSS  put to use, Hayden, under the name John Hamilton was assigned to Croatia,  smuggling arms and agents in and out of the region,  he also fought along side none other than Tito himself, and because of the friendship between the two, and statements Hayden later denounced,  he was drawn into to kangaroo court of the committee on unmerican activities and forced to give the names of actors involved with the communist party.  

His role of Gen. Ripper  in Dr. Strangelove perfectly portrayed the mentality that was rampant in post war military leaders .

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:56 PM, jaxson50 said:

Dr. Strangelove,  released in 1964, a great cast, Kuberik at his best and Peter Sellers as well at the top of his game, playing 3 lead characters, it was James EarlJones first big movie part although he got little screen time, Slim Pickins,  great movie 

This is one of my very favorite movies, and this is my favorite  scene.  For of any that have never seen this movie, it a must-see.  AND, at least watch this clip, but keep your eye NOT on Peter Sellers as Strangelove, but rather on the Soviet ambassador just to Sellers' right.  He starts to crack up about 2/3ds of the way through this clip when Strangelove is fighting with his right arm.  Apparently it was decided to go ahead and use this take, because nobody would be watching anyone in the background; everyone would be watching Sellers.  I had seen this movie probably a half dozen times before someone told me to watch the Soviet guy.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, jdgm said:

I didn't know there had been a remake/new version.  It's one of those where the original just can't be done again.

OTOH the Donald Sutherland "Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers"  is a remake and very good.....

I have not seen the "Wicker Man" remake with Cage.  I have not read any favorable reviews, but the original film is great.

And, yes, both "...Bodysnatchers" movies are good.  I saw the original when I was a kid on the Friday night TV creature feature.  I checked under my bed every night for a week or so after that.

6 hours ago, Karloff said:

sorry about the size of the pic, I tried to figure out how to reduce it. I seriously love this movie .

What a classic western,  Clint Eastman once told an interviewer that every western he did was in some measure a remake of Shane, 

That's high praise. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

This is one of my very favorite movies, and this is my favorite  scene.  For of any that have never seen this movie, it a must-see.  AND, at least watch this clip, but keep your eye NOT on Peter Sellers as Strangelove, but rather on the Soviet ambassador just to Sellers' right.  He starts to crack up about 2/3ds of the way through this clip when Strangelove is fighting with his right arm.  Apparently it was decided to go ahead and use this take, because nobody would be watching anyone in the background; everyone would be watching Sellers.  I had seen this movie probably a half dozen times before someone told me to watch the Soviet guy.

I'm with you Mr. N.  I bet I've watched this flick 20 or more times,  Peter Sellers was a genius! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

What a classic western,  Clint Eastman once told an interviewer that every western he did was in some measure a remake of Shane, 

That's high praise.

I saw a list not long ago of someone's opinion of the greatest westerns ever made.  I think "Shane" was number 2 on the list behind John Wayne's "Stagecoach".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

I'm with you Mr. N. I bet I've watched this flick 20 or more times,  Peter Sellers was a genius! 

I've got it on DVD, and I watch it at least once a year and whenever it comes on TCM.  Watch that clip that jaxson50 posted and watch the Soviet ambassador.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

I saw a list not long ago of someone's opinion of the greatest westerns ever made.  I think "Shane" was number 2 on the list behind John Wayne's "Stagecoach".

Both are great, the John Ford westerners are hard to beat , Shane gets my vote as the better of the two, but The Searchers has grown on my over the years, hard to pick just one,  The Unforgiven would be on the list of top 5.

Edited by jaxson50

When they shot the seen in Shane where Alan Ladd and Jack Palance first met, if you watch Palance getting off his horse, then back on it minutes later, watch close, Palance was not very good around horse's at this point in his career, he had such a hard time getting back up on the saddle, they just edited the film of him getting off in reverse! It's funny watching him riding horse's in this movie,  

Edited by jaxson50

7 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

Both are great, the John Ford westerners are hard to beat , Shane gets my vote as the better of the two, but The Searchers has grown on my over the years, hard to pick just one,  The Unforgiven would be on the list of top 5.

ALL great westerns.  "Unforgiven" is my favorite of the later westerns.

That's high praise. 

that is high praise. it's in my top two favorite movies. I even named my daughter Shaina lol.   

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

Mr. Natural,

Yes every time I watch that scene, I watch the Soviet Ambassador, whose attempts at not laughing cracks me up.

That same actor had a small part in the the classic " A Christmas Carol" with Alistar Sim. 

And as an aside, there is an interesting uncorrected bit of business in that film as well.

When Scrooge wakes up Christmas morning, and looks in the mirror, the camera was positioned behind him, and looking over his shoulder into the mirror as well. Some of the camera crew can be seen leaning into the shot a couple of times around the edges of the mirror.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Mr. Natural,

Yes every time I watch that scene, I watch the Soviet Ambassador, whose attempts at not laughing cracks me up.

That same actor had a small part in the the classic " A Christmas Carol" with Alistar Sim. 

And as an aside, there is an interesting uncorrected bit of business in that film as well.

When Scrooge wakes up Christmas morning,and looks in the mirror the camera was positioned behind him, and looking over his shoulder into the mirror as well. Some of the camera crew can be seen leaning into the shot a couple of times around the edges of the mirror.

RBSinTo

thats right, good call ... he was one of the two men talking about the pending funeral service "I must be fed or I won't attend".   not 100% if thats verbatim.  beautifully made flick ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

thats right, good call ... he was one of the two men talking about the pending funeral service "I must be fed or I won't attend".   not 100% if thats verbatim.  beautifully made flick ...

And in my(and most others) opinion the best adaptation of the story.  

And that actor was the well respected British  actor PETER BULL.  And I think the line was....

"But I must be fed, or I stay at home."  [wink]

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

When Scrooge wakes up Christmas morning, and looks in the mirror, the camera was positioned behind him, and looking over his shoulder into the mirror as well. Some of the camera crew can be seen leaning into the shot a couple of times around the edges of the mirror.

RBSinTo

Y'know, I've seen that movie probably a few hundred times since first seeing it in '67 and never noticed it!  I was too busy enjoying it .

I view it at least twice every Christmas season, and I'll make a mental note to keep an eye out for that.  [thumbup]

Thanks.

Whitefang