Gibson Brands Forums

Old forgotten movies

saturn

What movies did you like back in the day that you never see rebroadcast now? Not like example Back To The Future where it's constantly shown on some channel or the other. I know there are thousands but here's two I will start with.

The Hollywood Knights - along the same lines as Animal House but didn't seem to age as well

Night Shift with Michael Keaton and Henry Winkler -  they stumbled into running a brothel out of a morgue    

• Like 1

The original '12 Angry Men' with Henry Fonda is my favourite movie.

We also watched 'Teahouse of the August Moon' last week (Glen Ford, Marlon Brando). Terrific. I recall hearing years ago that it was not politically correct. I cant remember why. Its hard to keep up with that way of thinking. So I don't bother.

• Like 2

"Steelyard Blues".

Several George Peppard movies.   "California Split" anyone? [smile]

There are a great many English/UK films which have been forgotten.  There were so many Hammer Horror, Carry On comedies, 50s Ealing -  "Brighton Rock", "The Lavender Hill Mob", "Two Way Stretch", etc.

And a few have attained cult status - "The Wicker Man", "Witchfinder General".    "Savage Messiah" is one of Ken Russell's least-known films but one of his best.

• Like 1

Little Shop of Horrors..  Classic... Great music too

And most of the old Clint Eastwood films like Pale Rider or even Any Which Way but Loose.

So many... They also tend to show the updated films instead of the originals these days like Total Recall. The original is a total classic the newer one is terrible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

Oh, yeah!  "The Wicker Man" is another one I don't see often enough on TV.  I'm talking the old one from the '70s with Christopher Lee, not the newer one with Nick Cage.

I didn't know there had been a remake/new version.  It's one of those where the original just can't be done again.

OTOH the Donald Sutherland "Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers"  is a remake and very good.

Let's hear it for Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck!  Telly Savalas (pre-Kojak) and Ernest Borgnine....anyone remember "Prime Cut" with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman?

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

I’ve always liked watching Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Charleston Heston, Jean Simmons, Chuck Connors, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford, Carol Baker.  Great movie.  Burl Ives kind of steals every scene he’s in.  Powerful actor, with a stage presence as big as he was……..Another one I’m hoping they bring back soon is Deep Throat.  I here that they’ve updated their rating system and it now has a rating of PG-13 by current standards and that Disney may air it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Burl Ives being a class act, I watch “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” whenever it’s on.  Another favorite of mine is “Bad Day at Black Rock.”  Superb cast.        “Up Periscope” and “Run Silent, Run Deep”  when I’m in an underwater state of mind.  The “Wild Bunch” and the original “The Getaway” have always been winners.  

• Like 2

This is just a partial list. As I think about it, more pop into my mind.

"The Victors"

original "Manchurian Candidate"

"To the ends of the earth"

"A walk in the sun"

"The miracle worker"

original "The thing"

"The day the earth stood still"

original "King Kong"

"The birds"

"North by northwest"

"Charade"

"Year of the Dragon"

"The race for the double helix"

Probably more to come.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

"The Ninth Configuration" aka "Twinkle, Twinkle Killer Kane" with Stacy Keach.  I don't think it was ever broadcast. I remember watching it on VHS (remember those) and liking it. I don't know how what I would think of it 40 years later. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I don’t know how forgotten these are but “Chinatown” & “The Two Jakes”.. All of Audie Murphy’s Westerns.. All the original “Maverick” TV Series.. 

As a frequent watcher of the Turner Classic Movies channel and a member of their message boards, I see many of the movies mentioned here often enough.  But to LARS I say....

THE TWO JAKES imho, is best forgotten.   But TCM shows CHINATOWN fairly often  The INSPIRATION channel shows a lot of old western movies with Audie Murphy's filmography fairly often too.   And MeTV shows reruns of the original MAVERICK series every Saturday morning @10:00 am EST

For me, some of the "forgotten" oldies that rarely if ever get shown on TCM are:

HOT SPELL('58) with Shirley Booth and Anthony Quinn

THE PURPLE GANG('60) with ROBERT BLAKE and BARRY SULLIVAN

PRESSURE POINT('62) with Sidney Poitier and Bobby Darin.

And FORTY:

TCM just had BONNIE & CLYDE on a few nights ago.  Along with THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE('67)  [wink]

Whitefang

Two Jakes is the sequel to Chinatown. And gave the story the next Chapter.. I hope they do a 3rd one & complete the Story...

To Whitefang I have to say, To each his own… A couple you mentioned are best forgotten as well. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Strangelove,  released in 1964, a great cast, Kuberik at his best and Peter Sellers as well at the top of his game, playing 3 lead characters, it was James EarlJones first big movie part although he got little screen time, Slim Pickins,  great movie 

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 2