Gibson Brands Forums

Old forgotten movies

saturn

To my old a s s,  a movie from 2006 hardly seems old enough to be forgotten.  But I always thought Luke was the better Wilson brother, so I'll have to check this one out.

Another good "old" movie is one not forgotten by old movie buffs, but by enough people who have heard of it before.  It's another movie on the concept of what life after death might be like.   and from 1944....

Whitefang

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The Vikings with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, I think Jamie Lee Curtis was conceived during the production of this film.

You have reminded me of "The Long Ships" with Richard Widmark.....about that bloody golden bell!!

[laugh]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

I love this one too Karloff  Favorite line:

Grant: "Insanity runs in my family.  It practically gallops!"

Whitefang

lol, yes !   I read years back that Boris Karloff played Raymond Massey's character for the Broadway play.  and the place would crack up everytime they got to the line "look at the mug on that guy. he looks like Karloff" lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jdgm said:

You have reminded me of "The Long Ships" with Richard Widmark.....about that bloody golden bell!!

[laugh]

Hell with the bell.

I shudder being reminded of that bloody MARE OF STEEL !  [scared]

This was the second movie Widmark made with Sidney Poitier.  The first was 1950's NO WAY OUT.  Another great flick.

Whitefang

Mitchum always made a great villain  - "Night Of The Hunter" -  or how about "The Friends Of Eddie Coyle"?

He was in plenty of westerns AND both the original "Cape Fear" and the remake.

And he was busted for weed in 1948! Way ahead of his time!

Let's hear it for "The African Queen".

[smile]

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Speaking of Richard Widmark,  Kiss Of Death, 1947. he plays the crazy guy that pushes the lady in the wheelchair down the stairs ...

Which connects to Karl Malden.   Who starred with Brando in "On The Waterfront" and "One-Eyed Jacks". 

One of Brando's lesser-known later films was "The Missouri Breaks".     When I saw this movie I thought Brando was hamming his role up....[laugh]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Which connects to Karl Malden.   Who starred with Brando in "On The Waterfront" and "One-Eyed Jacks". 

One of Brando's lesser-known later films was "The Missouri Breaks".     When I saw this movie I thought Brando was hamming his role up....[laugh]

He probably was.  And of course there's the "Brando/Malden" connection with the earlier  A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE('51)  And that same year another Malden/Widmark connection, HALLS OF MONTEZUMA('51).  

Brando was always a sort of enigmatic actor.  Starting his film career as a paraplegic(  THE MEN--1950) then after "Streetcar" playing a Mexican revolutionary(VIVA ZAPATA  '52)  then Roman General Mark Antony (Julius Caesar--'53) a bit later Napoleon Bonaparte (Desiree --'54)  And even an Asian(The Teahouse Of The August Moon--1956)!  Two of my favorite Brando movies(apart from the many more I like) are THE WILD ONE('53)  and THE FUGITIVE KIND('56)  In the former he plays the leader of a motorcycle gang(who all ride TRIUMPHS however)  called The Black Rebels(although none of them are black)  A favorite line is when a girl asks him, "What are you rebelling against, Johnny?"  He replies, "Whaddya got?"  [laugh]  Legendary movie tough guy LEE MARVIN is also in the cast.  Along with JERRY PARIS who later becomes neighbor Jerry Helper on THE **** VAN DYKE show,  and Alvy Moore who later becomes the scatterbrained  agricultural department agent Mr. Kimball on GREEN ACRES.

Jerry Paris is also in the cast of the classic MARTY('55)  starring Ernest Borgnine of McHale's Navy in his Oscar winning role.

And finally let's mention Brando's  "The Missouri Breaks" also starred JACK NICHOLSON.  [wink] who also had a hand in the production and writing in The Monkees movie HEAD('68).   [biggrin]

Whitefang

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

...  [wink] who also had a hand in the production and writing in The Monkees movie HEAD('68).   [biggrin]

Whitefang

Speaking of "Head", how about "Eraserhead"?  Talk about a weird movie....!

And going back to the '30s, how about "Island of Lost Souls"?

"Are we not men?"

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, Whitefang said:

If historical labor or social issues are your bag, how about THE GRAPES OF WRATH('40) based on John Steinbeck's novel,or the silent:

METROPOLIS?  

Whitefang

the Grapes Of Wrath - great flick.    have you seen Second City's skit, The Grapes Of Mud ? lol

An old Roger Corman movie from 1963, 'The Raven' is something I can indulge in late at night. Silly comic horror with 

Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre (also a young Jack Nicholson & Hazel Court). As always it's Lorre that stands out for me. 

Edited by merciful-evans

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

An old Roger Corman movie from 1963, 'The Raven' is something I can indulge in late at night. Silly comic horror with 

Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre (also a young Jack Nicholson & Hazel Court). As always it's Lorre that stands out for me. 

love that movie. the one Corman made right after that is great too, Comedy of Terrors ...

• Like 1