Gibson Brands Forums

Old forgotten movies

saturn

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And in my(and most others) opinion the best adaptation of the story.  

And that actor was the well respected British  actor PETER BULL.  And I think the line was....

"But I must be fed, or I stay at home."  [wink]

Y'know, I've seen that movie probably a few hundred times since first seeing it in '67 and never noticed it!  I was too busy enjoying it .

I view it at least twice every Christmas season, and I'll make a mental note to keep an eye out for that.  [thumbup]

Thanks.

Whitefang

yep, you're right ... and I agree. it's hands down the best version.  one of my all time favorites. 

• Like 1

Another favorite of mine is The Best Years of Our Lives,  one of the few post war movies that addressed the challenges of veterans returning to civilian life. Fredrick March and Myrna Loy were great in this movie.

Another post war film that delved into the impact of war on those who served and their loved ones was The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, with  Gregory Peck, 

• Like 1

The Best Years Of Our Lives.  Great movie.  And Harold Russell (Homer) an actual survivor of the war who did lose his hands(but as an infantry man, not a sailor) Won an Academy Award for his role in that movie despite never having had any previous acting and/or acting training or experience before being cast in his role.  But you really(imho) couldn't tell by his excellent performance.  

Seen it dozens and dozens of times over the years, but still get choked up at the scene when he and Wilma, sitting up in his room, and after showing her all he goes through just to go to bed, profess their love for each other.  Wilma reaches over and hugs Homer, and Homer, finally, puts his arms around her.  And the exalted expression on Wilma's face(actress Cathy O'Donnell ) triggers the water works for me every time. [love]

Whitefang

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The Best Years Of Our Lives.  Great movie.  And Harold Russell (Homer) an actual survivor of the war who did lose his hands(but as an infantry man, not a sailor) Won an Academy Award for his role in that movie despite never having had any previous acting and/or acting training or experience before being cast in his role.  But you really(imho) couldn't tell by his excellent performance.  

Seen it dozens and dozens of times over the years, but still get choked up at the scene when he and Wilma, sitting up in his room, and after showing her all he goes through just to go to bed, profess their love for each other.  Wilma reaches over and hugs Homer, and Homer, finally, puts his arms around her.  And the exalted expression on Wilma's face(actress Cathy O'Donnell ) triggers the water works for me every time. [love]

Whitefang

Herald Russell lost his hands while training  members of the 13th Airborne units in the use of explosives a faulty fuse prematurely detonated a TNT explosive pack. After under going many surgeries and rehabilitation he made his movie premier,  knocking it out of the park! 

He appeared in five films, he is the only actor to receive two Oscars for the same movie, and only actor to auction his trophy off,  he dedicated the rest of his life to fighting for veterans in AMVETS , serving as president of the organization three times, 

They don't make them like that any more.

• Thanks 1

I'll see your Vanishing Point and raise you a Zabriskie Point. 

[laugh]

Another Gene Hackman one - The Conversation. 

Cronos.....and The City of Lost Children - Ron Pearlman.

Figures In A Landscape - Robert Shaw (who also wrote it), Malcolm McDowell, directed by Joseph Losey.

The Long Good Friday - Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren..  Visceral.

Get Carter - Michael Caine.  Now dated but still extremely nasty; think there was an unsuccessful remake of this too.

The Damned - Dirk Bogarde - directed by Visconti.  About pre-war Nazi Germany, epic and very shocking for 1969. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

Get Carter - Michael Caine.  Now dated but still extremely nasty; think there was an unsuccessful remake of this too.

The Damned - Dirk Bogarde - directed by Visconti.  About pre-war Nazi Germany, epic and very shocking for 1969. 

Yes.. With Sylvester Stallone of all people... :rolleyes:

Edited by Rabs

Y'know, many of the old movies mentioned aren't really forgotten.  Except maybe by a couple of generations that think any movie more than a month old is too old to bother with.  

And JDGM  used a phrase that just irks the hell out of me in any discussion of older, or classic movies.

"Dated".  

Stupid word to use since even a movie made last year can be considered "dated".   I've even heard and read some people idiotically use the word to describe movies made more than 30 years ago with stories that take place 30-100 years earlier.  :rolleyes:  Like someone I know opined that THE GODFATHER, made in 1972, but with a story that starts in 1945, as "dated".  :rolleyes:

One of my favorites, and one the same age as me was seen often enough on local TV "late show" presentations under it's alternate title THE BIG CARNIVAL.

But was originally titled:

Whitefang

Well I understand what you are saying.

Get Carter was contemporary when it first came out.   People don't drive cars like that now and they have mobiles.

Perhaps I should have said 'it has dated' or 'it looks a bit dated now'.   However it is still a classic movie, always remembered for the quotes .

15 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Forgot about those.  I don't really consider them 'classic',  More in the category of 'forgotten'.  Or nearly forgotten.  Or, like "The Three Stooges"  - best forgotten.  IMHO. 

but the thread doesn't state "classics", just old & forgotten ...

Edited by Karloff
  • Haha 1

Most of us grow and change when it comes to certain things.  I used to like Bowery Boys movies, and The Three Stooges.  But by the time I was 12 the stooges seemed so silly and childish to me.  And by the time I reached my 20's, I filtered down to only liking the Bowery Boys back when they were The Dead End kids, and later the East Side Kids.

But I never outgrew my affinity for Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.    Unfamiliar?  then check out

THE MUSIC BOX('32) --Laurel And Hardy

STEAMBOAT BILL Jr.('28) or THE GENERAL('26) Buster Keaton

SAFETY LAST('23) Harold Lloyd  

And up there I alluded to another old and (by some) forgotten movie;

DEAD END('37) w/ Humphrey Bogart,  Joel McRae, Sylvia Sidney  and the film debut of The Dead End Kids(later The Bowery Boys)  

Claire Trevor, Marjorie Main and Ward Bond round out the cast.  Excellent flick!

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Most of us grow and change when it comes to certain things.  I used to like Bowery Boys movies, and The Three Stooges.  But by the time I was 12 the stooges seemed so silly and childish to me.  And by the time I reached my 20's, I filtered down to only liking the Bowery Boys back when they were The Dead End kids, and later the East Side Kids.

But I never outgrew my affinity for Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.    Unfamiliar?  then check out

THE MUSIC BOX('32) --Laurel And Hardy

STEAMBOAT BILL Jr.('28) or THE GENERAL('26) Buster Keaton

SAFETY LAST('23) Harold Lloyd  

And up there I alluded to another old and (by some) forgotten movie;

DEAD END('37) w/ Humphrey Bogart,  Joel McRae, Sylvia Sidney  and the film debut of The Dead End Kids(later The Bowery Boys)  

Claire Trevor, Marjorie Main and Ward Bond round out the cast.  Excellent flick!

Whitefang

yep ,  100%.    I still enjoy the Marx Brothers too.  "and remember men we're fighting for her honor, which is probably a lot more than she ever did" - Groucho rallying the troups in Duck Soup

• Like 1

Yeah.  The brothers are also a long time favorite of mine. Who can forget such exchanges like:

Groucho: "Now we have to talk about the taxes."

Chico: "I gotta cousin lives there."

Groucho: Lives where?"

Chico:  Inna Texas!"

Groucho: "No.  I'm talking about TAXES, you know, Dollars!"

Cico:  "Dat's-a right!  He live inna Dollars Texas!"

\:D/

Whitefang

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Not sure how "forgotten" this is.  The book was very good. 

"Flowers For Algernon".

I thought the film was a brilliant adaptation, very moving and superb acting by both principals.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Not sure how "forgotten" this is.  The book was very good. 

I agree with both you and jdgm on this one.  And I think anyone who's seen it will find it hard to forget.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1