Gibson Brands Forums

Macca's Jazzy Clone

duane v

732e6ddc3b9ace245d3547fcdf9dfcd3_(1).jpg

A little project I'm working on: 

The neck made it in and of course nothing is ever plug-n-play, but with a little massaging it fits nice and snug. I installed the tuners and tinted the headstock and neck with kiwi brown shoe polish paste and mini-wax dark wax as it was whiter than my feet.

I had to ream out the peg holes a little to get the bushings pressed in, but not too big of a deal. Today is the string guide and the hootenanny strap button in the back. Then the 1966 headstock waterslide.

• I purchases a dirt cheap lefty Squire classic vibe 60's Jazz bass ($299).
  • I added upgraded volume plate electronics which I already had.
  • Fender Custom 60s Jazz Bass Pickups (which I already had).
  • Purchased a neck with block fret markers with binding and rosewood fretboard.
  • Found a 64-68 headstock waterslide logo (friggin expensive).
  • Modified the existing pickguard for the thumb rest screws, added the 11th hole and dremel'd a trussrod adjustment access.
  • Gotoh lollipop tuners.
  • Polishing off the "Gotoh" and "Made In Japan" laser marking on the tuner primary gear.
  • Purchased a new Fender USA bridge with grooved saddles
  • Hootenanny headstock strap button.
  • F neck plate with Pauls actual serial number stamped.
  • My brother is making a metal punch with the Fender logo to stamp the tuner plates.
  • Headstock String Tree.
  • Fender ashtray set.

As purchased:

FullSizeRender(34).jpg

Current state:

FullSizeRender(37).jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Looks cool! How much did it cost total?

Total $370 so far because I sold the original Squier neck for $140. The original cost of the Squier bass was $299.... Only thing left is to get some tape wound strings. 

Nice work.. Look forward to seeing Pics when it’s completed. I’d like to hear more on how you Dremel’d Truss Rod access.. I have several Fenders & hate having to remove the Neck to adjust Truss Rod if they need it. 

Edited by Larsongs

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Nice work.. Look forward to seeing Pics when it’s completed. I’d like to hear more on how you Dremel’d Truss Rod access.. I have several Fenders & hate having to remove the Neck to adjust Truss Rod if they need it. 

I used variable speed dremel tool using a sand paper roll bit on a low speed so that it wouldn't generate heat... I did the same thing with my GH Tele clone.

FullSizeRender(26).jpg

37 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Seriously, if you bought the parts in quantity and made a batch, they would sell.    Very good work (again). 

Thanx mate...

My wife kinda said the same thing about my breakfast burritos... 

7 hours ago, duane v said:

I used variable speed dremel tool using a sand paper roll bit on a low speed so that it wouldn't generate heat... I did the same thing with my GH Tele clone.

FullSizeRender(26).jpg

I bought the Stew Mac Truss Rod tool to adjust Fenders where the neck meets the Body but there’s no access.. What you’ve done looks very clean & almost unnoticeable. If that works that will be great!! I notice the area you Dremel’d on both Guitars is very small but is that enough room to get the Truss Rod adjusting Tool on the adjustment Nut?

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I notice the area you Dremel’d on both Guitars is very small but is that enough room to get the Truss Rod adjusting Tool on the adjustment Nut?

On the Tele yes.... Yesterday I has to recess the body neck pocket edge on the bass a little bit and now I can access the truss rod adjustment hex. Glad you asked because it made me double check on the bass. 

So I assembled the headstock string tree, hootenanny strap button on back of the headstock and put on the old strings. The nut grooves need to be filed as the strings are sitting on top of the nut grooves. It's playable but the action is a bit high and my fingers don't like wound bass strings (***** fingers).... they only like Black Nylon Tapewound strings. So I will order those as soon as I know which type of LaBelle's to get as this is a 34" scale bass as opposed to my short scale Hofner.

I measured the strings with a 0-1" mic and they measure .050, .065, .085, .105, so I ordered Music Nomad 5-Piece Bass nut file set. Before I do any set up work I think I will let the bass acclimate with string tension for about a week because the neck is brand new.

FullSizeRender(39).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received my nut files to finish setting up the bass and man does this bass have a mean sound. I'm also using a nordy bass mute. Really stoked. I also added the mid-60's headstock logo and tapewound strings.

FullSizeRender(49).jpg

I have a 1975 reissue I purchase backed in 1994. Looks very similar to this, with the exception of a maple neck and a natural finish. The binding and the block inlays is what does it for me. I love that thing, it plays nice and the sound is kick ***. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!