Gibson Brands Forums

The horrors of one's native cuisine

RudyH

As a cooking hobbyist, I've decided to go back to the cuisine of my native Germany. This may be a fatal mistake, given what I remember of that horrid food. Wish me luck, and pass the sauerbraten.

Have you tried such a thing and survived? (Of course all you lucky Italians and Spaniards are happy to revel in your wonderful native foods.)

I lived in Lousiana for 12 years or so.

Raw oysters, boiled crawfish, fried crawfish, shrimp every way possible. Alligator. Never ate Nutra Rats, but they do, down there.....

Damn, I'm hungry.

Murph.

I lived in Lousiana for 12 years or so.

Raw oysters' date=' boiled crawfish, fried crawfish, shrimp every way possible. Alligator. Never ate Nutra Rats, but they do, down there.....

Damn, I'm hungry.

Murph.

[/quote']

I'd like to try it but might chicken out

2196453373_11713be4ff.jpg

I'd like to try it but might chicken out

2196453373_11713be4ff.jpg

I'm from New Orleans... and NO F'N WAY am I gonna eat a gigantic rat unless it means I starve to death!!!!!! ... but like Murph sez, seafood is KING. The four seasons in South Louisiana are Shrimp, Oyster, Crawfish, & Crab.

And I'm cookin red beans & rice LAMF tomorrow (I know, I'm a day late)

Hey Mick, you try out that gumbo recipe I sent ya? (your green chili came out nice, by the way)

I dont remember any great dish from germany, when I went there I only ate burgers... =D>

Now down here we do have some weeird *** foods... but most of them taste great.

Take as example "cuy" which is a rodent a little bigger than a rat... tastes so good.

We have lots of such dishes, most of them I don't know how to cook (I only cook gourmet and international food go figure)... I'll gather some info and pics and post for your delight.

Edit:

Here's some live and cooked CUY

cuy2_b.jpg

cuy_roasting(1).jpg

As a cooking hobbyist' date=' I've decided to go back to the cuisine of my native Germany. This may be a fatal mistake, given what I remember of that horrid food. Wish me luck, and pass the sauerbraten.

Have you tried such a thing and survived? (Of course all you lucky Italians and Spaniards are happy to revel in your wonderful native foods.)[/quote']

There is a big big world out there beyond burgers and fries.

I do cook a lot of dishes in my heritage german style and everyone is always delighted.

Sauerbraten any time for me and of course dumplings bavarian style.

RudyH tell me what was so horrid?

And I always tried local food where ever I went in the world.

Variety is spice of life! I would not mind trying TG's roasted guinea pigs!

DC3C46:

Shucks, I would have thought the last digit was 7, but maybe I'm forgetting my aircraft.

Perhaps it was just when I was there. It was post-war Germany when good food was relatively scarce. Onion soup, for example was literally onions boiled in water. I don't even think there was salt in it. One time we visited a guy in the hospital right after dinner time and he still had some food on his plate and he offered it to me. It was mashed potatoes with no gravy. I couldn't believe how intensely flavorful it was. I still remember it to this day.

I lived with a German girl for 3 years and probably took about 10 years off my life eating German food but she absolutely would not eat corn. Any kind. We'd go to BBQs & I'd beg her to take ONE BITE of corn-on-the-cob but she never did. Never would wear a pair of blue jeans, either. Don't know why on either jeans or corn. Weird-*** Germans!

DC3C46:

Shucks' date=' I would have thought the last digit was 7, but maybe I'm forgetting my aircraft.

Perhaps it was just when I was there. It was post-war Germany when good food was relatively scarce. Onion soup, for example was literally onions boiled in water. I don't even think there was salt in it. One time we visited a guy in the hospital right after dinner time and he still had some food on his plate and he offered it to me. It was mashed potatoes with no gravy. I couldn't believe how intensely flavorful it was. I still remember it to this day. [/quote']

A DC3 is a C47 and a C46 looks like a big fat DC3 and can carry a payload of 15000 lbs

whereas the DC3 carries about 7000lbs only. Always depending on the fuel carried.

They are both nice to fly but can be a ***** to land in a crosswind.

Hey Mick' date=' you try out that gumbo recipe I sent ya? (your green chili came out nice, by the way)[/quote']

Not yet but I haven't done much cooking since the chili. Can you get good green chile's there ? You know New Mexican Hatch.

You know... in the rain forest part of my country them natives eat spider monkeys' date=' spiders, and maggots... [/quote']

Our daughter quit eating spider rolls (sushi roll featuring crab legs) when she found out it wasn't made with real spiders!

Archived