Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson artist guitar

Lars68

I'm tired of sigs.

Esp with living players.

They can turn into raving lunatic terrorist, or worse and ruin a company's reputation. Or it might just be someone that some else doesn't like.

I'M NOT SAYING IN THIS CASE, BUT AS A GENERAL RULE.

Bad idea.

26 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'm tired of sigs.

Esp with living players.

They can turn into raving lunatic terrorist, or worse and ruin a company's reputation. Or it might just be someone that some else doesn't like.

I'M NOT SAYING IN THIS CASE, BUT AS A GENERAL RULE.

Bad idea.

I kind of agree, Murph. If I bought this guitar, one of the first things I would do is to remove the label with the sig. I did exactly that on my 2012 Sheryl Crow SJ, not because I think she’ll turn into a raving lunatic terrorist anytime soon, but because I have no connection to her, her guitars, or her music. Same with this new one.

Lars

If Bozeman really wants to hook me (which I am sure is uppermost in their minds) they need to come up with a guitar which I look at and says  "while this one never existed it should have."  So maybe a 12 or 13 fret LG2 with possibly an elevated fingerboard or if they really wanted to make me happy an LG2 with a 1 7/8" nut and a 2 3/8" string spacing at the bridge.  Sorry but slapping the neck of one model on another ain't going to get me hightailing it for the drool bucket.

13 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm tired of sigs.

Gibson isn’t, that’s why every week, or two they pump out another one, and the people must be buying them. At least that one looks normal, not like like the D. Mustaine one with skulls on the head and guard.

The CEO’s kids gonna eat and I’m sure it’s not hot dogs and Kraft mac n’ cheese.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have to admit that I don't understand the signature guitar thing (though if I was going to plunk money down that Cheryl Crow model looks fantastic).  I assume Gibson is targeting younger folks or something, but most of the models just seem like overpriced versions of standard guitars  with a little extra bling.  The Woody Guthrie model from a number of years ago?  Ok, I can see that, perhaps., but the rest just seem, I don't know, silly.  I mean, a Dave Mustaine from Megadeth ACOUSTIC?  What in the holy hell...

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACC36V567/Dave-Mustaine-Songwriter/Ebony

I'd be all over a McCawber simulation if Fender ever made one for reasonable money, BUT, it had better walk the talk. Other than that, I've had two sigs and both were coincidental.  My current one is the only baked-top Dove I've ever known of. Could have had Joe S*** the Rag Man on it and I would have gotten it.

11 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

I have to admit that I don't understand the signature guitar thing (though if I was going to plunk money down that Cheryl Crow model looks fantastic).  I assume Gibson is targeting younger folks or something, but most of the models just seem like overpriced versions of standard guitars  with a little extra bling.  The Woody Guthrie model from a number of years ago?  Ok, I can see that, perhaps., but the rest just seem, I don't know, silly.  I mean, a Dave Mustaine from Megadeth ACOUSTIC?  What in the holy hell...

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACC36V567/Dave-Mustaine-Songwriter/Ebony

So you don’t understand it, yet there is one to you think looks good. So you do understand it.

Gibson is not marking itself to younger folks. Dave is 60 years old. Not exactly a young-in.

Gibson is targeting doctors and lawyers and dentists that can afford 5k and up guitars without blinking an eye.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I would prefer to buy a Guitar Ive always wanted  with my name in small print some where.  After all I , I would be playing it.   

Sig guitars are a Gimic. Most if not all entertainers  are dead. And never even touched a fancy Gibson   Great marketing   . But. Why own a guitar with someone else name on it?   Beside what makes the Gibson present entertainers play any different that the stock models being made. ?

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So you don’t understand it, yet there is one to you think looks good. So you do understand it.

Gibson is not marking itself to younger folks. Dave is 60 years old. Not exactly a young-in.

Gibson in targeting doctors and lawyers and dentists that can afford 5k and up guitars without blinking an eye.

Haha yeah, there is one, but it's got nothing to do with Cheryl Crow--just a fantastic looking guitar.  

And you mihgt be right about who they're targeting, but the Megadeth model isn't quite hitting that demographic, I'd think.  Thought maybe there are some metalhead dentists!

23 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Haha yeah, there is one, but it's got nothing to do with Cheryl Crow--just a fantastic looking guitar.  

And you mihgt be right about who they're targeting, but the Megadeth model isn't quite hitting that demographic, I'd think.  Thought maybe there are some metalhead dentists!

I’m 55 and still listen to metal, but I’m not a dentist. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Marketing Dweebs must have gotten that design from watching too many episodes of "The Jetsons" during the lockdowns.   If JC thinks it's as easy selling 'rad' guitars to girls as it was torn and shredded jeans - he's gonna be eating Mac&Cheese himself. 

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Jimmy Page

Are we playing a game where we name guitarist?

Nah, was just hinting at the fact that a Gibson Les Paul is a signature guitar. 
Some leave a bigger mark than others.

Lars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Nah, was just hinting at the fact that a Gibson Les Paul is a signature guitar. 
Some leave a bigger mark than others.

Lars

He certainly did and he made his mark with all the stuff he invented in the studio too. 

Not many of the this centuries players are gonna leave much of a mark. Most of the trail blazing has already been done.

U2 keep recording and leaving skid marks in their underwear.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Some of the Signature guitars are just ugly to me. I'm still trying to figure out the thinking behind the Tom Petty awful giant pick guard.  I grew up loving Tom Petty, and I don't think that Pickguard represents him at all.

2 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:

Some of the Signature guitars are just ugly to me. I'm still trying to figure out the thinking behind the Tom Petty awful giant pick guard.  I grew up loving Tom Petty, and I don't think that Pickguard represents him at all.

Johnny Cash had that p/g on a guitar he had and I think Tom must have liked it and wanted it on his.

tumblr_kupn19f07g1qa1iiqo1_500.jpg