Gibson Brands Forums

Dove

Paul14

The difference is in the tone and feel... the Dove is long scale and maple....the 'Bird is short scale and mahogany.

I have a couple of both (granted one of the 'Birds is Koa), and love them all....all for different reasons.

I have no more room for guitars...but I sure wouldn't mind having an old, (2005-ish) 'Bird.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

The Dove is listed at $4.500   while the H'Bird is only  $4.000.    $500 for a longer neck ? 

. . . and of course, the North American-sourced maple (should that necessarily cost more on a Montana built guitar?), as well as the inlaid Harbor Seals on the Yosemite Sam bridge. (the bridge inlays on the Doves In Flight are a nicer complement to the guitar)

demo guy Quentin is by his own definition a Martin guy, but he concurs with Paul that the Dove is a "monster". If that's what you're going for, then there you go.

The Doves in the demo almost sound as if they are either set up low, or have lighter tension strings. But the maple keeps the long-scaled squares out of the mud.

Edited by 62burst

Talking about Doves I had the 96 flying this Friday. An old tune paid a revisit and we said helo. You might remember it - even though I probably got some of the lyrics wrong. 

Yes, the strings are still a hair too new. . 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Talking about Doves I had the 96 flying this Friday. An old tune paid a revisit and we said helo. You might remember it - even though I probably got some of the lyrics wrong. 

I'm sorry to say this...but that was one of the best things I've ever heard on this forum!

I think I'll go throw some rocks at my guitars.

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I think I'll go throw some rocks at my guitars.

Oooh, please don't Danvill - this Board would so much more light-weight without your precious herd. You represent the bling here. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Look forward to your next track ^ thx, sir. .

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Oooh, please don't Danvill - this Board would so much more light-weight without your precious herd. You represent the bling here. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Look forward to your next track ^ thx, sir. .

Say what you will.... that is a lesson in how to deliver a song!

If I had spent half as much on lessons as I have on guitars, I might be able to perform close to what you just did!

• Like 1

I think those who perform so well,  unlike myself,  deserve credit for the countless hours of practice, lessons, and overall dedication they have.  I am basically a noodler at heart - good at snippets, but not 'performances'.   But I am  proud of having gotten to that first plateau where I can truly appreciate it  when a member shares a great performance like that one.  

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

I think those who perform so well,  unlike myself,  deserve credit for the countless hours of practice, lessons, and overall dedication they have.  I am basically a noodler at heart - good at snippets, but not 'performances'.   But I am  proud of having gotten to that first plateau where I can truly appreciate it  when a member shares a great performance like that one.  

FYP, I'm with ya!    I consider myself a 'side-man'....not a singer, not a lead player...but I LOVE to break out a guitar every morning and learn something new.   Right now, my almost 5-year old grandson wants me to learn Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl".... not because he's suddenly interested in music...but he's enamored with Jessie from Toy Story!    I HATE the song...but am working on it for him!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, 62burst said:

. . . and of course, the North American-sourced maple (should that necessarily cost more on a Montana built guitar?), as well as the inlaid Harbor Seals on the Yosemite Sam bridge. (the bridge inlays on the Doves In Flight are a nicer complement to the guitar)

demo guy Quentin is by his own definition a Martin guy, but he concurs with Paul that the Dove is a "monster". If that's what you're going for, then there you go.

The Doves in the demo almost sound as if they are either set up low, or have lighter tension strings. But the maple keeps the long-scaled squares out of the mud.

I heard that stringy bit, too. My Love Dove came in with one of the strings below .010" nut slot and several others were too low as well. Got it back a few weeks later with new nut and all was better. It's on the rack right now with Bee the Bourgy.

Edited by BoSoxBiker

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

DRob, yeah. It’s a great exercise, to go outside your comfort zone when challenged by a friend or relative to learn, transcribe and teach a song you otherwise wouldn’t touch.    Last one I remember doing was “Sweater Weather”.   Brrrr. 

FYP, that's the truth!  Since I completed videoing and charting my entire repertoire, pretty much all I do is learn songs people request.   I never thought my hands would hold up this long, so I'm loving it more than I can explain!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 1:31 AM, E-minor7 said:

Absolutely outstanding…just marvellous, marvellous stuff. Thankyou!!

Recording sounds nice, Em7!

I picked up my 2006/7 Dove cherry burst a few years back at a second hand instrument/pawn shop kind of place and I looked everywhere for signs of other cherry bursts....none.... Supposedly, mine was made for the Japanese market, special order.

So I posted a NGD here with photos and someone at Gibson must have thought how pretty it is and said to get more of the cherries happening! Now!😬

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 8:31 PM, E-minor7 said:

Aw, so very nice and way more true to the song than the original. Go fig…

11 hours ago, Jinder said:

Absolutely outstanding…just marvellous, marvellous stuff. Thankyou!!

Thanx right back J - very fine words from a musician and Dove-player of your format. . 

3 hours ago, AnneS said:

Aw, so very nice and way more true to the song than the original. Go fig…

And a 🌻 to you Anne. I always heard Hornsby's tune/recording as one of the 80s hi-lites. So catchy and fresh.

Hope you keep writing, , , , and singing of course. .

Yes, loved the arrangement and performace Em7, pure class.

Bif fan of the Dove here .. I love looking at my Hummingbird, but I love playing the Dove. They do have a bid, full sound, not clarity is oustanding but also shaed of warmth and that maple syrup.

But they have to be broken in, otherwise they can sound a bit tight and boomy, like the two in the orignal video ...give em 10 years and they will be fab.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:42 AM, DanvillRob said:
On 6/28/2022 at 5:55 PM, fortyearspickn said:

Right now, my almost 5-year old grandson wants me to learn Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl".... not because he's suddenly interested in music...but he's enamored with Jessie from Toy Story!    I HATE the song...but am working on it for him!

DRob, yeah. It’s a great exercise, to go outside your comfort zone when challenged by a friend or relative to learn, transcribe and teach a song you otherwise wouldn’t touch.    Last one I remember doing was “Sweater Weather”.   Brrrr. 

Well.... I FINALLY got it recorded!   Left out one chorus and the lead part... and screwed up one line....but it's still good enough to listen to!

I sure hope he picks an easier song next time!

51 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Good on you ...   you're a better musician now !!    😃   

5 years old !    I was doing Teensy Weensy Spider at that age.  

He's enamored with Jessie, the cowgirl in Toy Story.... but it's still wonderful that he asked ME to play it for him!   His little brother asked for it too....but he just kinda copies anything his big brother does at this age!   Knox turns 5 this month!  (Wilder turns 3 on Thanksgiving).

On 7/2/2022 at 1:27 PM, EuroAussie said:

Yes, loved the arrangement and performace Em7, pure class.

Bif fan of the Dove here .. I love looking at my Hummingbird, but I love playing the Dove. They do have a bid, full sound, not clarity is oustanding but also shaed of warmth and that maple syrup.

But they have to be broken in, otherwise they can sound a bit tight and boomy, like the two in the orignal video ...give em 10 years and they will be fab.

Heps EA - good to see your still lurking. I of course remember you switched wings a few years ago. Glad you still have the Bird. In this voliere both fliers are considered excellent.