Gibson Brands Forums

Beyond The Sea - Who Knew There Were So Many Chords?

DanvillRob

14 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I knew.

I've been playing this song for a couple of years, and it is essentially a chord per beat. Excellent warm-up song for the left hand.

RBSinTo

I wouldn't mind hearing your version.... I try to listen to several versions of a song before I put an arrangement together. 

It's tough to compete with Bobby Darin...kinda like doin' an Elvis or Sinatra song!

4 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Nice job! I love this song too. One forum member (Buc) has a killer ukulele version that’s magic as well.

keep these songs alive.

Ah....Buc... what a talent!   Back in the day, several of us posted a song he wrote, "Helldorado"....it's a great song...but no one can do it like Buc did!

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I like the song. I've never played it but lots of chords is typical for a jazz song

Yeah....you'll recall I posted "Mack The Knife" a few months ago... I think this song is more difficult that Mack.... even though Mack changes keys 4 times!

Rob,

Another song covered by Bobby Darin that has chord per beat choruses is "Artificial Flowers", written by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick for the musical "Tenderloin".

Darin was multi-talented,  had a wonderful voice, and died far too young.

As for hearing my version, I have neither the gear nor the talent to record and then assail the ears of others with my singing and playing.

Except for playing with our Grand-daughters in their Music School recitals, the world will never know the musical stylings of RBSinTo .

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Rob,

Another song covered by Bobby Darin that has chord per beat choruses is "Artificial Flowers", written by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick for the musical "Tenderloin.

Darin was multi-talented,  had a wonderful voice, and died far too young.

As for hearing my version, I have neither the gear nor the talent to record and then assail the ears of others with my singing and playing.

Except for playing with our Grand-daughters in their Music School recitals, the world will never know the musical stylings of RBSinTo .

RBSinTo

Got it...then maybe one day we can jam together!

I told Buc I'd back him up any time.

Are you familiar with Krasi?   Now THERE'S a master...gifted with a beautiful voice and talented fingers.... If I ever get to Bulgaria, I'd love to sit in with him!

Edited by DanvillRob

18 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah....you'll recall I posted "Mack The Knife" a few months ago... I think this song is more difficult that Mack.... even though Mack changes keys 4 times!

Yes. I have played 'Mack the Knife' too. I have been playing 'Makin' Whoopie' lately.

17 hours ago, kwalker201 said:

Very nice tune. If Ray gets your HB I got dibs on the hat!😀

KW... I use different hats to help me sort out the songs on my iPhone after I video them..... I have live 450 videos there....and the combination of guitar, hat and shirt seem to be unique to each song!

Thanks for the compliment.....and thanks to Charles Trenet (who wrote it and  does a FANTASTIC job singing this song). and Bobby Darin, an amazing talent, who provided the guideline for my arrangement.

Bobby D was my idol when I was a kid.. After hearing Dream Lover, Splish Splash, Mack The Knife & Beyond The Sea I wrote him a letter when I was about 10.. I asked him how I could become a Singer.. 

He wrote me back saying,  take Lessons & Sing.. Work hard & don’t give up… The rest of the letter was very cordial.. He seemed like a really great Guy..

Before my Mom passed away she gave me some of her treasured momentos… His letter was included… I had completely forgotten about that letter.. I still have it.. 

“Beyond The Sea” is a masterpiece! Jazz Pop Swing whatever, it’s a Song that never ages..

Good job!

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Bobby D was my idol when I was a kid.. After hearing Dream Lover, Splish Splash, Mack The Knife & Beyond The Sea I wrote him a letter when I was about 10.. I asked him how I could become a Singer.. 

He wrote me back saying,  take Lessons & Sing.. Work hard & don’t give up… The rest of the letter was very cordial.. He seemed like a really great Guy..

Before my Mom passed away she gave me some of her treasured momentos… His letter was included… I had completely forgotten about that letter.. I still have it.. 

“Beyond The Sea” is a masterpiece! Jazz Pop Swing whatever, it’s a Song that never ages..

Good job!

You're very kind....Bobby Darin is indeed a class act!

You should scan the letter and post it on here....I'd love to see it.

4 hours ago, Hall said:

Very nice!  Tell me Dream Lover is next. ☺️

Dream Lover is one I did almost 3  years ago.

I wouldn't mind having another stab at it using the harmonizer, and fix the ending....but here it is.

Bob, that's right you did and I forgot.  My bad.  But nice to see, hear and to see guitar again!  Thank you.       Yes, Bobby Darin had it all.

Edited by Hall

Just now, Hall said:

Bob, that's right you did and I forgot.  My bad.  But nice to see, hear and to see guitar again!  Thank you.       Yes, Bobby Darin had it all.

I'm very grateful to Leslie for selling it to me.

I hope she's happy that it's used very often now....I've recorded over 100 songs on it!