Gibson Brands Forums

USA Gibson Les Paul Case - Fun facts

kidblast

So, here's a fun fact about the new Les Paul cases.

If you are looking to replace a case for a Les Paul Standard with a new USA Les Paul case, (which I was) and the Les Paul has a Bigsby, (which mine does) the standard issue Les Paul case will not accommodate the extra depth required to house the guitar with a Bigsby.

Even with a "standard" Standard with no bigsby the case will not shut without pushing it down to latch it.  (Maybe over time that goes away once the lid "form" fits?  no idea.

So, $199.00 for the USA LP Case, and it wont fit the guitar I got it for.. 

Priceless.

Lucky for me, my 2002 Les Paul Standard's case is still in good shape,  I put the '02  LPS in the new case and the '95 in the case the '02 was purchased with.

Not how I planned it, but not a showstopper.

Thought I'd share... And never mind the comments about the bigsy Ron! !!!LOL!!!  😃  (JK..)

1 hour ago, rct said:

lolz ok, this one time!

rct

hahaha!!  Kind of you sir!! 

53 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It may be a fact, but what makes it a fun one?

yea,,,  not what I expected.   it's my fault really,  with the bigsby thing...  ya know? 

beyond that, it is a nice case.

I wonder if Bad Blues Player will chime in, curious how the lid closes on his new LP/LP Case.  BBP? you out there?

It's already, after few hours anyway, closer to closing with out "help".

Edited by kidblast

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

hahaha!!  Kind of you sir!! 

yea,,,  not what I expected.   it's my fault really,  with the bigsby thing...  ya know? 

beyond that, it is a nice case.

I wonder if Bad Blues Player will chime in, curious how the lid closes on his new LP/LP Case.  BBP? you out there?

It's already, after few hours anyway, closer to closing with out "help".

Just buy a guitar that fits the case, problem solved.

That's a great idea.  I'm greasing up the skids for a 3rd LP Standard.  I already have an angle..  A retirement gift to me!  (next year)

I sure it'll work,  well I'm pretty sure...  Maybe?  maybe no? 

yea  maybe not..  

sides, it comes w/case, so I still have this problem !  But another les paul,  -- winning

...sigh...

I can identify absolutely with kb here. 

I like cases. I've had to modify / improve / repair a few. Finding a well fitting generic case can be awkward, so when buying a guitar I always try to get a OHSC if available. 

My Less Plus case doesn't fit any other sort of LP. I wouldn't relish trying to find another.

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I can identify absolutely with kb here. 

I like cases. I've had to modify / improve / repair a few. Finding a well fitting generic case can be awkward, so when buying a guitar I always try to get a OHSC if available. 

My Less Plus case doesn't fit any other sort of LP. I wouldn't relish trying to find another.

I think the Gator and TKL, SKB LP style cases are good fits.  I was considering a Gator brown deluxe, or the TKL Black LP Case (which is pretty much who made the Gibson Cases before they started seeking other countries of origin)

I have a TKL case from my Gretsch, (it is the OHCS for that guitar)  it's great.

With the costs tho at $169 for the after-market  case, vs $199 for the gibson case,  it kind wasn't a hard call there.   Knowing now what I should-a known then,  I'd probably make the same purchase.   The Gibson case is nice.  Solid hasps over all very well made,   But w/dimensions changed from the older cases. who knew??   Really only an issue if like me, you have a Bigsby installed.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:32 PM, kidblast said:

Even with a "standard" Standard with no bigsby the case will not shut without pushing it down to latch it.  (Maybe over time that goes away once the lid "form" fits?  no idea.

This would make me question why you would still want to go with the Gibson case.  None of my Gibson or off-brand cases have ever needed an assist to close them.  Perhaps Gibson is thinking this is a solution to prevent toggle switch cap blow-ups?  You know, when some turd decides to ship you a LP and forgets to take the toggle switch cap off.  Happened to me a couple times. 

FWIW, when I travel with my LP, it's in a run-of-the-mill Gator case that doesn't call out anything Gibson on it other than the shape I suppose, and it seems to do the trick. 

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

This would make me question why you would still want to go with the Gibson case.  None of my Gibson or off-brand cases have ever needed an assist to close them.  Perhaps Gibson is thinking this is a solution to prevent toggle switch cap blow-ups?  You know, when some turd decides to ship you a LP and forgets to take the toggle switch cap off.  Happened to me a couple times. 

FWIW, when I travel with my LP, it's in a run-of-the-mill Gator case that doesn't call out anything Gibson on it other than the shape I suppose, and it seems to do the trick. 

Well I like the case just fine.  I'm not sure any of the other cases will be much different wrt fitting a bigsby tail pc. 

I sent a mail to the Sweetwater guy I work with,  I'll see what he has to say.  At this time, the plan is just go with it as is.  

On 7/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, kidblast said:

I think the Gator and TKL, SKB LP style cases are good fits.  I was considering a Gator brown deluxe, or the TKL Black LP Case (which is pretty much who made the Gibson Cases before they started seeking other countries of origin)

The Gator LP cases also fit the Gibson LP Tribute Jr DC Bass. They are longer than most other brands in the neck area……

7EUrKeLl.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, Pinch said:

Let's all agree it's at least a mildly amusing fact.

LOL!  yes, at minimum.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, Eracer_Team said:

Not sure how many of the average LP players have Bigsby attached to their Les Paul's to be fair

true, I'm not complaining, just letting the community know.

10 hours ago, Pinch said:

Very few I would think 

I know,  for sure,, but I'll tell ya,, once you get used to it and you've got it dialed in.  They are very cool things.  It's a vibramate mod too so I can reverse it in like 10 minutes.

9 hours ago, Grog said:

The Gator LP cases also fit the Gibson LP Tribute Jr DC Bass. They are longer than most other brands in the neck area……

7EUrKeLl.jpg

the gator deluxe brown was the go to choice if the Gibson cases never got resupplied.  those are nice. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson makes this model, so don't let them tell you they don't make a case to fit a LP with a Bigs. Unless an 8k guitar comes with a gig bag.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/CUS3TM54/Sergio-Vallin-1955-Les-Paul-Goldtop/Gold

Yea,  Gibson does issue LPs with Bigbsy.  This is probably the one that would work, 

Gibson Accessories Historic Replica Les Paul Case - Hand-aged Brown | Sweetwater

but I aint spending $600 clams to find out.

The Gator Deluxe Brown might be a little bit deeper also. My bass is a little thinner than a LP with a maple top but I ended up adding a 3/4 styrofoam spacer under the guitar body. The case is easy to modify……..

HnY0VUpl.jpg

20 hours ago, Grog said:

The Gator Deluxe Brown might be a little bit deeper also. My bass is a little thinner than a LP with a maple top but I ended up adding a 3/4 styrofoam spacer under the guitar body. The case is easy to modify……..

HnY0VUpl.jpg

Comfy looking seat, but the lids down. 😉