Gibson Brands Forums

Books

brad1

25 minutes ago, Karloff said:

just finished Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. rereading Dharma Bums by Kerouac .

Les Miserables was no quick read.  But well worth the effort, eh?

So was his THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.  

Just started my re-read of Ken Kesey's SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION.

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Ditto. 

Ginsburg too. Stoned weirdo beat underage boy molester.

And before you cry fowl. Do some research.

https://www.out.com/entertainment/popnography/2014/03/29/allen-ginsbergs-teenage-boyfriend-tells-all-beat-boy-toy#:~:text=2.,teenage boys%2C” says Ewert.

26 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Les Miserables was no quick read.  But well worth the effort, eh?

So was his THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.  

Just started my re-read of Ken Kesey's SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION.

Whitefang

yea, Les Miserables is no quick or easy read but it's a great book. always liked Hugo.  I should re-read Great Notion too ... great book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not disputing that. I hear he was an... odd duck. To put it mildly. Allegedly. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently finished a couple of Classics:

The Masterpiece - Emile Zola

The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann

Zola's The Masterpiece was depressing; even slightly annoying. If that's a true depiction of the Impressionist movement (Zola knew Cezanne) then I'm disappointed.

Mann: The Magic Mountain. It describes 7 years in a sanatorium. This was good, but its hard work. Its massive! The original book was 1,200 pages. A dictionary close by is a good idea too. Far too much detail, but occasional flashes of brilliance. Yes I learned a couple of things from this. Mann began it in 1912 and it was published in the 20s. 

Just beginning 'Brave New World' now.

12 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’m still reading the horror genre.  Mostly books by Dean Koontz.  He can scare the crap out of the devil.  I’m considering reading some end of the world books.  They might be more appropriate for the times we’re in.

I'm hoping there are some that offer a different future.

I'd hate to be a survivor in a post apocalyptic world ruled by fat, bald bikers.   [blink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

I had recently read 'The Gibson Guitar from 1950' which was written in the 70s, so only about 25 years covered. It read more like a home-project type thing. Its a small reference book really, not easy to just sit down & read. 

Still on 'Brave New World'. A bit disappointing TBH. Best quote so far 'Ford is in his flivver'. Henry Ford having been deified. 

• 1 month later...

This one (Cincinnati Supernova) would be somewhat historical fiction; the action taking place in the shadow of actual historical events. Protagonist (David) and his buddy form a Who-like band to vault their social status in a '70s Midwest high school. Later David joins the show band playing at the Beverly Hills Supper Club (which burned to the ground in '77). Anything more would be a spoiler but this (self-published) novel is gaining traction. Highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Cincinnati-Su...1753705&sr=8-2

Cincinnati 1Supernova.jpg

I forgot about this thread.

Ok, 'Brave New World' by Huxley turned out pretty good.

The next of the classics I just finished was 'All Passion Spent' by Vitta Sackville-West. This was the best of the lot. Though it doesn't sound like it. Again it was published in 1931.

Following the death of a major statesman, his family are assembled at the family house and begin to make plans for mother (his widow). The 88 year old widow shocks them all by declaring she's moving to Hamstead. The reason is this is the first opportunity in her life to try something she wants to do and live independently. 

16 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I’m drawn to celebrity biographies and autobiographies. Currently reading Sixteen Tons, the Merle Travis bio. 

That sounds interesting. According to the book Amplified; Merle said Leo Fender borrowed the guitar Paul Bigsby made for him. Leo denied it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That sounds interesting. According to the book Amplified; Merle said Leo Fender borrowed the guitar Paul Bigsby made for him. Leo denied it. 

Not hard to believe.  Like back when I first saw this movie on TV, I noticed Merle was playing a guitar I at first thought was a Fender acoustic, based mostly on it's headstock.   Look closely at this clip and you'll see Merle playing that Bigsby acoustic made for him.

Whitefang

That was a 1941 D-28 that Bigsby made a new neck for. Merle claimed it to be a 1938 but Martin serial numbers are pretty straightforward. I haven’t gotten to the part of the book where he discusses any of that yet. I’m sure whatever I read will be through Merle’s eyes or the author’s interpretation. As to Leo… yeah that whole time period in the late 40s is a bit fuzzy, isn’t it? All the key players have their own version, just like Les Paul’s version compared to Gibson personnel’s version of early solid body development. Funny how that works. And now we’ll never know. I watched Thom Bresh play that D-28 on Austin City Limits in the late 80s and it sounded killer. I think if anyone sought out a new or used D-28 expecting to hear that, they’d be sadly disappointed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Poetic License is is good way to put it. Seems like all of the key players have their own version of the events. One facet of early guitar lore is black n white though. Les did many recordings layering guitar parts while the original recording played at a slower speed, the result being a speeded up and higher pitched accompaniment. His first one was “Lover” in 1948. Merle did the same thing on “Merle’s Boogie Woogie” in 1947. And for that matter, someone in Sheboygan or East Overshoe might have done it earlier than that but never got played on the radio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Legend has it(and I heard Chuck mention this too) that Leonard Chess used to speed up the master tapes of Chuck's recordings for the master dies so the songs would be faster and more "danceable" in Leonard's opinion.  Which of course, is how we got to believing that Chuck wrote songs in such odd keys like Bb( but originally A major) and such.  We were learning those tunes off the records on which the original tapes were speeded up which as we know, does change the key.

Whitefang