Gibson Brands Forums

Books

brad1

I love to read. Always have.  But during the school year (I'm a teacher) I don't find myself spending much time doing any personal reading. " Just too busy" is my lazy excuse.

So when I have time off during the Summer, I like to read as much as I can. I enjoy reading non-fiction a lot. I like reading autobiographies of some of my favorite musicians, or books about the music industry. I also read fiction. I like horror as a genre (I've read most of Stephen King's stuff, Clive Barker, etc.) But I also find myself reading some of the "Classics" from time to time. I like to read all kinds of stuff really. 

Currently, I am reading two books. One is "Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer's Life in Music" Very interesting. He produced most of the Van Halen Albums,  first 2 Montrose albums, and the Doobies. 

The other book is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Science fiction meets comedy. I have never read it, so I wanted to see why it has become such a classic novel. It's good, but Science Fiction is one of my least favorite genres. 

Hey, what book(s) are you reading right now, or would like to read?

brad

4 minutes ago, brad1 said:

I love to read. Always have.  But during the school year (I'm a teacher) I don't find myself spending much time doing any personal reading. " Just too busy" is my lazy excuse.

So when I have time off during the Summer, I like to read as much as I can. I enjoy reading non-fiction a lot. I like reading autobiographies of some of my favorite musicians, or books about the music industry. I also read fiction. I like horror as a genre (I've read most of Stephen King's stuff, Clive Barker, etc.) But I also find myself reading some of the "Classics" from time to time. I like to read all kinds of stuff really. 

Currently, I am reading two books. One is "Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer's Life in Music" Very interesting. He produced most of the Van Halen Albums,  first 2 Montrose albums, and the Doobies. 

The other book is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Science fiction meets comedy. I have never read it, so I wanted to see why it has become such a classic novel. It's good, but Science Fiction is one of my least favorite genres. 

Hey, what book(s) are you reading right now, or would like to read?

brad

I am lazy and go to audible to have them read for me. The one about Ted sounds great. Ted produced Van The Man, and Little Feat too.

• Like 1

I just finished The Soul Of An Octopus by Sy Montgomery (very good) and am halfway though Mr. Putin by Fiona Hill (much like reading a college textbook,, well written but kind of dry so far).

After that comes Pythons Of The World Vol. 4 by Dave and Tracy Barker.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, saturn said:

I'm reading The Atheist Handbook To The Old Testament by Dr Josh Bowen on Kindle.  Have Volume 2 pre-ordered. 

I read posts on the forum. Does that count for reading?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I often re-read favorite books.  It's like watching a tape or disc of a favorite movie or listening to one of your favorite albums.

Right now I'm in the middle of a reread of Lisa Alther's "Kin Flicks".  After that it'll be time for my  50th annual reading of Ken Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion".  And for a few years I put off rereads of "Winterdance: The Fine Madness Of Running The Iditarod"" by Gary Paulsen  

Another favorite I like revisiting is "All I Really Need To Know I learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum

Whitefang

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

After that it'll be time for my  50th annual reading of Ken Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion".  

I'm in the middle of a Doc about Kesey and the Pranksters (Magic Trip I think its called) traveling in Further (the bus) to the NY State Fair in '64. I'm at the point where they just got to NYC and are hanging out with Ginsberg and Kerouac. They did a lot of Acid. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Isn't that one called  "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"(by Tom Wolfe)?  Sure sounds familiar. 

Whitefang

Yeah Tom wrote the Acid Test about the Dead being the house band in SF at one club, and you went in, and for a quarter or so, you got a glass of laced punch. Hey what dosage am I getting? I think its about Hells Angel's too and the Pranksters antics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It only messy when you spill something on the floor.

the book is actually a pretty interesting way to look inside one's own life, 

The book is unlike anything I've ever read before.

• Like 1

Just finished the Ted Templeman book.  If you are into the recording process this is a really good book. If you are a fan of Van Halen, Doobie Bros., Little Feat, Van Morrison, Montrose, or Sammy Hagar, I would recommend this book. He goes into detail about recording each album he worked on. He also did an album with Aerosmith. 

He went from being a "Tape listener" to Executive Vice President of Warner Bros. Records.  I learned a lot about the record industry for sure.

I also finished The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. It was OK. Pretty funny some parts. But I just don't get into Sci. Fi. stuff that much. It also has no real ending. There are 4 other books in the Series, so the story continues. But not with me. I'm ending the story now and won't be reading the rest of the series.

Up next for me is The Yosemite, by John Muir. I always wanted to read it. 

On 7/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, Whitefang said:

I often re-read favorite books.  It's like watching a tape or disc of a favorite movie or listening to one of your favorite albums.

Right now I'm in the middle of a reread of Lisa Alther's "Kin Flicks".  After that it'll be time for my  50th annual reading of Ken Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion".  And for a few years I put off rereads of "Winterdance: The Fine Madness Of Running The Iditarod"" by Gary Paulsen  

Another favorite I like revisiting is "All I Really Need To Know I learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum

Whitefang

I enjoyed Sometimes a Great Notion. 

I read all the Herman Hesse I could find when in my 20s - 30s. Also anything by Kurt Vonnegut. 

Re-reads? Not so much. I read LOTR about 3 times over the years, but that's enough now. I'm finished with it.

The Sherlock Holmes long & short stories I re-read a couple of times.

The worst book I ever read. 

I had to not only read it but study it, because it was for my school A level GCE English Literature Exam. 

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen 

Geesis H Kryst, its as dull as ditch water. 

Even the Chaucer (also required) was better. Chaucer is hard to read because the language is so old, you need notes to decipher most of it. I got close to max 

No one ought to be compelled to read Austen. It's child abuse.

10 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I had to not only read it but study it, because it was for my school A level GCE English Literature Exam. 

Even the Chaucer (also required) was better. Chaucer is hard to read because the language is so old, you need notes to decipher most of it. I got close to max 

Agree...  I was an 'English Major'  (aka Literature Geek)  for my first 2 years.  'Paradise Lost'  was my wake up call.  I realized I'd probably never be able to afford a second Gibson guitar writing prose and poetry for Hallmark greeting cards.  But I really did like  Thoreau -  "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."  in his Civil Disobedience. Walden Lake, etc.    

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I had "Wife Of Bath's Tale" and "Middlemarch" by George Eliot (my worst ever) at A level.

Tedious!

Must read the Templeman book - a great producer, he produced "Clear Spot" too.

Edited by jdgm

39 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I was an English Lit minor, so I never read literature type books.

I read a book about designing amp power supplies a few months ago.  It was o.k.  No drama or weird people.  No nincompoops telling me how to think.

We should form a sub-forum  'English Lit Majors Anonymous".       You described exactly why I got off FarceBook (speaking of 'books').