Gibson Brands Forums

Books

brad1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, merciful-evans said:

The worst book I ever read. 

I had to not only read it but study it, because it was for my school A level GCE English Literature Exam. 

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen 

Geesis H Kryst, its as dull as ditch water. 

Even the Chaucer (also required) was better. Chaucer is hard to read because the language is so old, you need notes to decipher most of it. I got close to max 

No one ought to be compelled to read Austen. It's child abuse.

I understand you very well. I had a similar situation. Only I was forced to read not 'Pride and Prejudice' but Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'. I read about twenty pages and left it. I'm lucky that I found this source https://freebooksummary.com/category/jane-eyre and with its info I got to know the book. It helped me a lot in the exam. Now, whenever I don't want to read a book or don't have time, I do the same thing I did with jane eyre - a handy life hack, in my opinion. And for pleasure, I read Hemingway and Fitzgerald. 'The Great Gatsby' will forever be my favorite book.

Edited by MarkDD

1 hour ago, MarkDD said:

I understand you very well. I had a similar situation. Only I was forced to read not 'Pride and Prejudice' but Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'. I read about twenty pages and left it. I'm lucky that I found this source https://freebooksummary.com/category/jane-eyre and with its info I got to know the book. It helped me a lot in the exam. Now, whenever I don't want to read a book or don't have time, I do the same thing I did with jane eyre - a handy life hack, in my opinion. And for pleasure, I read Hemingway and Fitzgerald. 'The Great Gatsby' will forever be my favorite book.

Great Idea. If only I had the resource of the internet back then in 1970. 

I must get around to The Great Gatsby. Thanks for the prompt.

3 minutes ago, Retired said:

Me too, Lol. 

Mostly, my collection of books deal with the Bible, "Christian hand books" and chess books.  No clue what my chess rating is? I play a Kasparov computer and beat it mostly on level 4.  I beat 3 or 4 Expert players before in tournaments. But I read mostly Russian chess books. 

I started reading one of Willie Nelson’s autobiographies. I believe there are more than one. This one is from 1988. I made it about 10 pages in, then quit. He came across as a Superstar and it was written like someone had just taken a night class in writing. Very flowery. I gave it away in my “last day of the yard sale and everything is free”.

I’ve started reading Rhinestone Cowboy. Glen of course.  The writing style is more like he’s sitting there telling his story.  Too early to tell if his story is going to make me like him or not. 

I finally got around to checking out "Forged" by Bart Ehrman. Many people find him controversial, and he isn't always my favorite guy to listen to. But this is one of his most acclaimed books. Worth the read.  

• 4 weeks later...

I've read this novel twice now, here is the description on Amazon: Brutality meets rock-n-roll redemption when the lives of two buddies on the social fringes of a corrupt 1970s Cincinnati high school collide with violent teachers, predatorial jocks…and comically anxious encounters with the opposite sex.

Obsessed with The Who, David Bachmann and Todd Brill form a band and deliver an incendiary guitar-windmilling performance at the Burr Oak High last-day-of-school talent show, vaulting their social status.

But tragedy awaits as the best friends are destined to confront both the horrific Beverly Hills Supper Club fire, and two short years later the deadly Who concert stampede. All leading to a brush with madness, and a shocking but ultimately revivifying look beyond the veil.

Their sanity is tested but never their loyalty in this harrowing twist on the love-lost/coming-of-age story, in a world of ghosts where music is their only salvation.

An unflinching taboo-busting look into '70s midwest teen life, Cincinnati Supernova is at once gut-wrenching, hilarious, absurd, haunted, and ultimately poignant. This sprawling novel unfolds in the shadow of sobering historical events. https://www.amazon.com/Cincinnati-Su...s%2C103&sr=8-1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, Whitefang said:

A "Who like band" in Cincinnati, eh?   [wink]

Whitefang

I saw them in '75 in Cincinnati as a kid. No telling how many Who-like bands that very night spawned. That was the first concert I ever saw. And I've never seen a better (or louder) one of any band ever. They had eliminated Quadrophenia songs from the playlist at that point, and I'd been looking forward to those, but that didn't register that night. I've also never seen a crowd so enthusiastic. And I've been (like many of us) to hundreds of concerts, though not nearly so much anymore. 

Cincinnati 1Supernova.jpg

Just finishing British actor David Jason's 4th book, "The Twelve Dels of Christmas".  As a fan of Open All Hours and Only Fools and Horses I've enjoyed reading all 4 of Sir David's books.  He has a flair for writing a story in an entertaining way.

My sister gave me, "The Beatles Lyrics" by Hunter Davies for my birthday and I'll dig into that next, when I'm finished reading Del Boy's book.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, sparquelito said:

I am re-reading this.

For the 3rd time in my life, I imagine.

🙂

2940014780308_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

I first read these in my 30s. I was laid up with a bad back and unable to do much of anything for a few weeks. I always liked the 'The Valley of Fear'. Its the one that is never dramatised for TV or film because a lot of it is without Holmes & Watson.

5 hours ago, 'Scales said:

yup - JPS, Camus etc on regular rotation for years (plus Henry Miller, Bukowski, Joe Bageant...man, I need to buy some new books!)

I used to re-read a lot. Then I quit reading for years! Now I'm whizzing through them and they are piling up everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I always have a few book going at once. Currently bouncing between these....

Fiction: Old Filth - Jane Gardam

Non Fiction: A Brief History of Earth: Four Billion Years in Eight Chapters - Andrew H. Knoll

Graphic/Comic: Saga, Book One Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)   Fiona Staples (Illustrator)