Gibson Brands Forums

Help me think this through, friends…J45 dilemma

rbpicker

Well folks, a week has passed since I decided to ride out the storm with Little Elvis, put on my big boy pants and ease my way into the neck shape.  
I’m pleased to report that now when I play, it’s starting to feel like home to me.  I did do some further tweaking on the setup, and rolled the fretboard edges  just a bit more.  The action is nice and low all the way up the neck with nary a hint of buzz anywhere.

In addition to feeling comfortable, another week’s worth of playing has started the opening up process along.  It’s settling down, smoothing out, and starting to develop its voice a bit more.  I also removed the factory electronics and fitted it with a tusq saddle and bone pins.  I know tusq violates the “50’s Original” theme, but I like the way it livens up the tone just a touch under my bare finger style of playing. 

All in all, I’m really glad I kept it and  that I didn’t fiddle with the neck shape.  And I’m seriously liking the look of it. I going to sign the adoption papers : ). 

Roger

Edited by rbpicker
  • Like 2

How much money and time are you willing to spend?  Get a top notch builder - remove the original neck and save it.  Have a new neck made to your specs. I am doing this to an outrageously great Martin Authentic.  I prefer big necks, but the new neck has a very slightly off center soft v towards the thumb side, while the old neck seems thin, flat, but wide and drives me nuts. But it ain’t cheap. 

Great to hear!  Anything you can adjust in your playing technique? I know a lot of players (including myself) really don't pay attention to proper left-hand positioning.  I remember when I was in college - a guitar instructor telling me the "thumb over the top" can lead to strain and that I should learn to keep my thumb on the back of the neck. This was really for chords because obviously not always possible for bends.

9 hours ago, groovadelic said:

Great to hear!  Anything you can adjust in your playing technique? I know a lot of players (including myself) really don't pay attention to proper left-hand positioning.  I remember when I was in college - a guitar instructor telling me the "thumb over the top" can lead to strain and that I should learn to keep my thumb on the back of the neck. This was really for chords because obviously not always possible for bends.

It is good to be taught the right way, then you know what you are doing when you do it the wrong way!😄

My teacher always said ‘arch your fingers’ (slap!) but I think he also meant - you won’t be able to play FMaj7b9#9 if your thumb is hanging over the top - the fingers will be coming in for a landing way too low to get the extra notes clean on your skinny neck Gibson....’Arch those fingers!(slap...wack!) .....Ouch..😑

BluesKing777.

• Haha 1

If you watch Jimi Hendrix play he’s using his thumb almost half way across the fretboard down to the 3rd String. Almost like a second hand playing low parts while his other fingers play high parts.. At the same time. It’s a pretty amazing technique. He looks natural like it’s nothing..

The important thing is, the neck needs to fit your hand.. you can’t rebuild your hand.. If it’s not a comfortable natural feel to begin with  I don’t believe forcing your hand to adjust to an unnatural uncomfortable neck will accomplish any magic…

On 7/29/2022 at 9:49 AM, groovadelic said:

I once tried to take some lessons with a jazz guitar player I knew.  He seemed determined to teach me proper left hand placement.  Me being pretty much a blues and rag player I was used to using my left thumb to finger bass notes.  But this guy kept pulling my hand away from the guitar and literally placing in the right position.  While he did teach me some theory, how to pull off some Freddy Greene chord comping, and where to throw some jazz junk diminished chords into my blues stew, he also finally figured what were once vices had become habits which were by then just too ingrained to do anything about.  On the other hand, he was aways complimentary about my use of the Blind Blake thumb slip, reverse hammer-ons and that kind of stuff.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I once tried to take some lessons with a jazz guitar player I knew.  He seemed determined to teach me proper left hand placement.  Me being pretty much a blues and rag player I was used to using my left thumb to finger bass notes.  But this guy kept pulling my hand away from the guitar and literally placing in the right position.  While he did teach me some theory, how to pull off some Freddy Greene chord comping, and where to throw some jazz junk diminished chords into my blues stew, he also finally figured what were once vices had become habits which were by then just too ingrained to do anything about.  On the other hand, he was aways complimentary about my use of the Blind Blake thumb slip, reverse hammer-ons and that kind of stuff.

That was my teacher also - a Jazz guy, lol! I never changed my habits because still to this day, I love Jimi chords and it's just been whatever is comfortable for me. With that said, I don't play for more than 30 minutes at a time these days so can't say how I'd feel if I did.  

I’ve always marveled at Richie Havens’ playing on those great Guilds he used to play.  I think the guy had a four-inch long thumb the way he’d wrap it and fret three strings like it was nothing,  like Larsongs mentioned above about Hendrix.

I guess it comes down to what you can make work for you.  Kinda like Django discovered.

Roger

Dave, thank you.  I’m on an iPad, however.  I don’t think it has a right click function, does it?  I’m pretty non techie with much of this stuff.

signed,

Confused in Michigan 🤣

p.s.  my wife and I love the Bluegrass state!!

Edited by rbpicker

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

In Imgur, Right click over the image and select Copy Image Address then paste it one at a time here. Do as many times as you need .

🏆

Highly impressing photos. Few things in the guitar realm are more serious than pairs or triplets of the same model. Or interezsting for that matter. . 

24 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

🏆

Highly impressing photos. Few things in the guitar realm are more serious than pairs or triplets of the same model. Or interezsting for that matter. . 

Roger does have a nice looking pair there.

8 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Dave, thank you.  I’m on an iPad, however.  I don’t think it has a right click function, does it?

"If you want to right-click on your iPad, all you need to do is press one finger on the screen and hold it there for a second or two (unmoving)."

Or, you can click on your imgur i.d. , select "images", which opens a gallery of your photos, click on your photo, which opens up a side bar of posting/editing options. Select the blue "direct" link- that will allow you to post/paste the photo directly into your post here on the forum.

Edited by 62burst

I'll share some things in case they are of any use to the original poster - 

My string journey went from Guild PBs to Gibson PBs to John Pearse PB light gauge.  Eight years ago I switched to John Pearse Acoustic Pure Nickels, .012-.054.  The nickel strings have a dramatically longer life - but for you, they also have less tension than bronze, as nickel is less dense.  That was an unexpected benefit, and I recommend them very highly.

Regarding hand and/or forearm pain - I once had my left arm flake out during a performance with my old band.  I was still in my Keef-clone period, wearing my Telecaster just a little too low.  Later, I had milder doses of that discomfort playing a Taylor with a very shallow v-shaped neck with no shoulders.  The rounder Gibson neck shape works ever so much better.

The real trick for me was when I started watching YouTube videos of Baden Powell and other '60s Brazilian players, as well as Bert Jansch and other British folk-baroque players.  I had never thought about how they held guitars when I saw still photos, thinking it was an affectation.  No.  Their preferred position was seated, neck roughly horizontal, with the guitar body canted so that the bass side is rolled outward and further from the body than the treble side.  Lots of cool things happen with this position - it gets the right forearm off the soundboard, as it is resting more on the rim than the top itself; if you're playing someplace with a hard floor, it smacks the sound off that surface, kinda like talking over a lake or pond; best of all, it puts left forearm, wrist and palm in one plane, reducing the number of muscles under tension.  I was kinda shocked when I realized how much looser and more flowing my playing became when I went to this position.  Whenever the ghost of my classical guitar teacher tries to scold me inside my own skull, I tell him to shut up, this WORKS.

Thank you rustystrings. I enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the tips you’ve learned over the years.

I’m happy to say that I can now play pretty much pain free, and I’m enjoying the J45 very much.  I’m using Monels and like the sound.  I’ve used JP nickel in the past, I think they’re just slightly brighter than Monel, if I recall correctly.

roger

Rusty has something there.  When I hiked up my strap high and brought the business end of the neck up at around shoulder height, it took that limiting 'crook' out of my wrist.  I play better and with comfort, just look dorkier.

15 hours ago, jedzep said:

Rusty has something there.  When I hiked up my strap high and brought the business end of the neck up at around shoulder height, it took that limiting 'crook' out of my wrist.  I play better and with comfort, just look dorkier.

Indeed.

I broke my left arm between the mid-west tours with Double Aught back around 2001. My pronation is good, but not as good as it was pre-break. I played bass on the second run, and I played it higher than most bass players. I still play acoustic higher than most when standing with a strap, I usually sit nowadays because I swap around the squareneck resonator.

Higher is better. And it's NOT dorky.

Just ask Sean...