Gibson Brands Forums

Talk about fugly pickguards

gearbasher

Frank Gay built ugly guitars with goddy bling and pickguards .  I owned one of those that was built for Webb Pierce   It went to the country music hall of fame in Nashville. 

Edited by slimt

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s really the crew cut that ties the whole look together.

I got to see him live at The Circle Star.... (was at a time when he was called "No Show Jones").

His show might be the best concert I've ever been to, (and I've been to quite a few).

14 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I got to see him live at The Circle Star.... (was at a time when he was called "No Show Jones").

His show might be the best concert I've ever been to, (and I've been to quite a few).

I saw Zappa, The Wailers and Quarterflash there. All on separate bills. That place was killer. Not a bad seat in the house.

14 minutes ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Ha ha, you saw Quaterflash. I guess it was the 80's, you had to be there. (but she could blow a mean sax)

I went with a friend of mine (a female) and I think we were still in high school, and then we saw them again at a theme park a year or two later when in college. We met Q-flash after the Circle Star show, out back by the stage door. We talked to them for a while and they signed our stubs. The sax player, Rindy, I think her name is looked much taller on stage. Heel's I guess? They were really cool. I think they were working their way down the West Coast of the US.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I went with a friend of mine (a female) and I think we were still in high school, and then we saw them again at a theme park a year or two later when in college. We met Q-flash after the Circle Star show, out back by the stage door. We talked to them for a while and they signed our stubs. The sax player, Rindy, I think her name is looked much taller on stage. Heel's I guess? They were really cool. I think they were working their way down the West Coast of the US.

Had a long gone ex-girlfriend drag me to a Huey Lewis and the News concert back in the '80s. The things you do when you're young and dumb. 

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw Zappa, The Wailers and Quarterflash there. All on separate bills. That place was killer. Not a bad seat in the house.

I saw many acts there..... Willie Nelson, Hank Jr., Tower Of Power, BB King, Cheech & Chong, and a few I'm forgetting..... too bad it got old and got torn down.

1 minute ago, gearbasher said:

Had a long gone ex-girlfriend drag me to a Huey Lewis and the News concert back in the '80s. The things you do when you're young and dumb. 

H L is the Overlord of the Most Smooth Pop/Rock Smaltz in the history or recording. 

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I saw many acts there..... Willie Nelson, Hank Jr., Tower Of Power, BB King, Cheech & Chong, and a few I'm forgetting..... too bad it got old and got torn down.

Yeah, I know its been gone for a while Frank played there and not just Zappa, Old Blue Eyes played there. 

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The sax player, Rindy, I think her name is looked much taller on stage. Heel's I guess? They were really cool. I think they were working their way down the West Coast of the US.

Yes, her.

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

H L is the Overlord of the Most Smooth Pop/Rock Smaltz in the history or recording. 

Is that a thing, or is Smooth Pop/Rock-Schmaltz a category you just invented?

Back to the ugly guards, back in the 50s it seems like every Martin seen in the hands of country artists had been replaced with something larger and with zero character. They sometimes looked like someone took a mud flap off an 18 wheeler and cut a new pickguard with aviation snips. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Back to George Jones ...  in 1980 his release of  "He Stopped Loving Her Today"  has been judged many times as 'the best country music song ever'.   So, maybe he knew something ...

The pickguard which stands out in my brain as having been beat thoroughly with an ugly stick was that which came on my 1956 Epi-FT79.  Cannot blame Epiphone because it was a home-made job.  NYC-made Epiphone pickguards were the same shape as Gibson used but were inset so they sat flush with the top,  This thing though was a thick one-piece white double pickguard which darn near  ran from the top of the soundhole down to the bridge, To add insult to injury it was held down by 8 machine screws,

23 hours ago, slimt said:

Frank Gay built ugly guitars with goddy bling and pickguards .  I owned one of those that was built for Webb Pierce   It went to the country music hall of fame in Nashville. 

I don't think I could give up a guitar like that.... I recall Webb Pierce's guitar.

It wasn't this one, is it?

This one would be worth BIG BUCK$!

Open photo

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't think I could give up a guitar like that.... I recall Webb Pierce's guitar.

It wasn't this one, is it?

This one would be worth BIG BUCK$!

Open photo

The one I had was Red   I lent it to Gary Buck  for the country music hall of. Fame here. Then I found out he was closing the doors  and taking all of the lenders guitars. I went down and pulled it out   Nashville called and said they would take it   They had Webb Pierces clothes and car but no guitar.    The guitar you see there fell apart.     Ill dig out the pictures and post up 

Just now, slimt said:

The one I had was Red   I lent it to Gary Buck  for the country music hall of. Fame here. Then I found out he was closing the doors  and taking all of the lenders guitars. I went down and pulled it out   Nashville called and said they would take it   They had Webb Pierces clothes and car but no guitar.    The guitar you see there fell apart.     Ill dig out the pictures and post up 

I'd love to see it!

Webb was a great talent!

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Back to George Jones ...  in 1980 his release of  "He Stopped Loving Her Today"  has been judged many times as 'the best country music song ever'.   So, maybe he knew something ...

Yes it is a great song, but as you told me back to George, but this thread is about p/g's, and not just about country legend G J. And it's not even specific to George Jones and his collection of ugly pickguards. Its just about ugly, and fugly I think was the term used, pickguards. 

So you police the forum on yourself too, if your gonna take our your guitar badge and six stringer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes it is a great song, but as you told me back to George, but this thread is about p/g's, and not just about country legend G J. And it's not even specific to George Jones and his collection of ugly pickguards. Its just about ugly, and fugly I think was the term used, pickguards. 

So you police the forum on yourself too, if your gonna take our your guitar badge and six stringer.

I disagree.... GJ was used as the primary example of 'fugly' pickguards.... and, let's face it..... Webb had some equally 'fugly' pickguards.

GJ said he at first he didn't want to record "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today"...he said it was just too damned sad!

It's in my repertoire....my wife always requests it.....(think she might be tryin' to tell me something?).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I disagree.... GJ was used as the primary example of 'fugly' pickguards.... and, let's face it..... Webb had some equally 'fugly' pickguards.

GJ said he at first he didn't want to record "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today"...he said it was just too damned sad!

It's in my repertoire....my wife always requests it.....(think she might be tryin' to tell me something?).

Then the Thread should have been "George Jones and his collection of Fugly p/g's", but its titled:

Talk about fugly pickguards

My wife told me other day she doesn't like G J's voice. I just said are you serious?